1. "Customers and management need to show more respect"

2.0
    Kitchen Assistant in London, England

I worked at J D Wetherspoon

Pros

It was a job I could get in my local area at the time. An eventual share scheme. Some discount.

Cons

There were occasional bonuses base on wether a pub passed its internal inspection or not. Typically it would be 1% off of achieving, the same was said for the London area pubs I worked and the Midlands. The share plan was dreadful, they took them from me when I left?!

J D Wetherspoon2016-01-21

J D Wetherspoon Response

January 25, 2016Senior Recruitment & Training Manager

Thanks for the review. We do offer fixed hours contracts for employees if they are requested, and we have recently increased our minimum starting rate to £7, and even higher in some pubs.

"Business Manager"

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon

Pros

Great work and co-workers. Challenging, but satisfying way to grow professionally . This job will stretch you! I enjoy the work but wait for the cons.

Cons

Management lack of people skills. Although good business acumen, management treats employees like crap. No coaching skills at all.. many have moved on because of treatment.

J D Wetherspoon2018-05-15

"Horrendous"

1.0
    Team Leader in Wakefield, MA

I worked at J D Wetherspoon for more than a year

Pros

Gained friendships. Money off food on shift. You're always busy..

Cons

Zero hours contract so one week I could earn an amazing amount and the next be so broke I can't afford transport to and from work. Taxis as I did a lot of late shifts. Management allow bullying to take place. Management are supposed to back you up if someone is drunk or rude etc.. but in my experience they haven't done this at all. Promised the world promotion wise and they gave someone else the job that was lined up for me. Made me do kitchen training when it wasn't needed or even noted down. Expect to be spoken to like rubbish from customers, staff members and management. Very long shifts if staff decide to not turn up or get drunk the night before (this happens ALOT)

J D Wetherspoon2016-04-11

J D Wetherspoon Response

April 18, 2016Recruitment & Training Systems Manager

Thank you for your comments, we will pass your all of them on for further discussion and investigation. Just to pick up on your feedback around hours, we do not work with zero hour contracts at all as a company, we agree a minimum guaranteed hours when we employ to minimise the fluctuation in hours.

Discover more reviews about J D Wetherspoon.