LateRooms.com - The People Make It | Glassdoor.co.uk

"The People Make It"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England

I worked at LateRooms.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked with some of the most talented, friendly, dedicated and passionate people I've ever worked with. On the whole, it was a pleasant environment and the PAs worked tirelessly to ensure delivery of events & engagement activities.

I will miss LateRooms.

Cons

In my particular role there was limited scope for progression. You also find that it can become "dead mans shoes"... Some employees in more senior roles were overpaid for the work that they were performing/expected to complete and so found that the golden handcuffs kept them in place which was frustrating for the more active, driven people below them. It could be stifling at times.

There were often periods of a lack of focus, or direction, and the general consensus was that no one felt that they knew what they were striving to achieve, which was a shame, as with the appropriate calling, employees would have reacted and were more than capable of delivering on any project given.

There were a lot of "closed door" conversations, which was unsettling for everyone, with little communication from the SLT to middle management, and in turn to employees.

Advice to Management

Invest in people development - there was little available for employees / middle management with the primary focus being on the leadership team, and little ROI was visible to the rest of the company.

Communicate more - employees are passionate about what they do and can deliver, but often feel that they are being purposefully omitted from key conversations, or worse, misled.

Other Employee Reviews for LateRooms.com

"The current CTO and his hand picked clique of yes men"

Current Employee - Developer
    Current Employee - Developer

Pros

Good location, some really interesting tech, chances for rapid promotion

Cons

Where to start? Alastair Rodgers the CCO is the sole board member that has been present throughout the year-on-year declines in performance. During this period the company consistently cut and outsourced departments - losing the character and drive of the company with it. His quarterly presentations have become nothing short of embarrassing as his ‘numbers’ become further detached from reality. He will not accept he is ever wrong - a deeply dangerous trait in any member of management. He recently announced a member of staff was pregnant against her wishes during a company town hall rather than concede he was wrong on a minor point of his presentation. Is it this pathological inability to be wrong that has lead LateRooms down the wrong path time and again for the whole of his tenure?

Onto IT - Jon Ross, the newish CTO has presided over the utter routing of what was until the latter half of last year the best IT department in Manchester. He may have had no choice but to make redundancies - but the way he announced and handled the first few days made the situation toxic - on one occasion during the first week he expressed how miserable he was finding his job to a group of people who were having to compete with their friends for the remaining roles. To stem the tide his hiring policy has become - to quote one of his most senior staff - ‘reckless’.

He is a remote and authoritarian leader, his thoughts are rarely heard directly - more typically second or third hand via one of his hand picked senior leadership team. He seems to lack empathy; it is clear that we are just ‘resources’ which can be ‘backfilled’ if ‘attrition’ get’s too bad; these are far removed from the warm and friendly phrases used by previous CTOs.

And so onto his inner circle… Jon has employed a series of yes men - and yes, they are ALL MEN. It’s been a few years since I’ve been able to dust off the management lingo bingo cards but these guys utter little else. Management speak got it’s bad reputation because it’s used those who have nothing to say but wish to sound wise - and that is clearly what is happening. They form a clique which is rarely present, and when they are tend to spend much of their day in Jon’s office - closed off from their staff. Strategic technical decisions are concocted apparently without able technicians being involved and have had to be reversed on a number of occasions when finally announced to people who understand the implications.

LateRooms IT used to talk about the Spotify model - in essence a series of independent teams able to make their own decisions on strategy and technical approach. What we have now is more akin to the model used by monarchs and dictators - one of absolute top-down control and cronyism/nepotism at play for all senior hires.

Advice to Management

Too late - you've lost all the talent who could have done almost anything you asked them to. Myself and the few that remain are working our notice and enjoying the spectacle.

LateRooms.com Response

22 Feb 2017 – Executive Chairman

I am always grateful to Glassdoor reviewers for providing their views and whilst they are ideally provided internally first to help resolution and to refine/optimise our internal procedures and ... More

"Wish we could get back in time"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England

I have been working at LateRooms.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

People, culture. Nothing more unfortunately.

Cons

2+ years ago this was THE PLACE to work in. Since the company changed owners, rebranded there seems to be a lot going on brhind closed doors. Redundancies, hidden plans and projects, constant uncertainty. No progression available.
    Favouritism in promotions which is the worst possible thing.

Advice to Management

Stop focusing on the 'big picture' of your bigger company because this one is falling apart. You're losing good people every month and now you cant keep up with recruitment. Stop pushing for quantity and focus on quality like we used to years ago.