"Opportunities and Dangers"

Former Employee - Strategist in Ottawa, ON

I worked at McMillan full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Beautiful office, great peers, above-average pay, and international exposure. You'll find some of the most talented writers and designers in Ottawa, and the sense of camaraderie is strong. You'll learn a lot in the first two-three years from experienced and passionate colleagues. But leave before you get complacent...or fired unexpectedly.

Cons

- Consistent track record of tolerating toxic personalities in management, firing them long after the damage is done - Poor communication from the top. Your coworkers might disappear (one-at-a-time over a week or two, or all at once, like recently). Clients might disappear. The company strategy changes regularly without clear goals that everyone can get behind. - Creative teams are treated well, but account, development, and administrative staff are often left felt like second-class citizens with few opportunities to advance - Mid-level managers, including creative directors, often complain that they have little control, with most decisions dictated from the top.

Continue reading
    McMillan2019-04-21

McMillan Response

May 1, 2019CEO

I appreciate your perspective. Indeed, our industry is different than most, which can be both exhilarating and frustrating at times. We strive to strike a balance between client requests and building a healthy culture. It’s not easy, but we do take it seriously and we strive to do our best—we know there’s room for improvement. Thanks for your advice on connecting more with the creative community, I think we can learn, collaborate, and grow by being more involved. Wishing you the best in your next endeavour. Best, Pierre Paul

Other Employee Reviews

1. "Unique, supportive and well-balanced culture"

5.0
    Former Employee - Client Services Manager

I worked at McMillan full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The agency was founded in 1996. So it is young enough to be fresh, exciting and open to new ideas. But it is established enough to have a solid HR function, well-trained and supportive managers, and an excellent work-life balance. As an agency, the clients' needs can often tip that balance during busy times but the agency is very accommodating to balance things out appropriately. It is a very fun, laid-back yet professional environment. And with clients across the US and Europe, there are opportunities for more global exposure--and from time to time, travel.

Cons

The only cons I can think of are actually consistent with any creative agency of that size (80 people, +/-). Internal communication can be challenging and the inherent 'tension' that can exist between clients and creative pops up now and again.

Continue reading
    McMillan2017-05-05
  2. "It was the best place in Ottawa to work."

4.0
    Former Employee - Production Artist in Ottawa, ON

I worked at McMillan full-time

Pros

The culture, people, location all amazing! Vibrant creative people.

Cons

Although many people has issues working here, I never did. Was treated well, and compensated well.

McMillan2020-03-25

Discover more reviews about McMillan.