"The Best"

5.0
    Former Employee - Consultant in London, England

I worked at Newton Europe part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Personal Development Energy Growth Impact Teamwork No limit on the number of promotions - so no internal competition for places Fun No weekend working (really) Impressive clients Share options for senior team A great place to learn A career accelerator

Cons

All consuming - flat out from 5:30am on a Monday until 6pm on a Friday every week. This could obviously be seen as a strength too! A strong culture for people with previous experience to join - it definitely can and has worked, but it takes time (years) and commitment to see it through Diversity - although there’s been a recent recognition of this and is beginning to change

"Fantastic place to work - great development/culture. Currently going through some growing pains"

4.0
    Former Employee - Consultant

I worked at Newton Europe full-time for more than a year

Pros

I got recruited from the US - without a doubt, working at Newton turbo-charged my professional development compared to opportunities available to me in the States. I worked on numerous projects, each of which presented a unique and challenging problem to solve; I got to work with some incredible individuals; all the while, I felt I had an amazing support network from my peers, my supervisors, and the upper management. The culture is amazing, and you really get the sense that people care about you, your clients, and the company. There's also a work-hard-play-hard mentality, so everybody is a ton of fun to hang out with.

Cons

While my professional life was great, the consulting lifestyle naturally takes its toll on your social life. My situation was exacerbated by the fact I came from overseas and didn't have existing friends, so I could only really spend time getting to know my coworkers. Additionally, the company is currently going through some growing pains as it becomes a larger business; however, nearly all of the issues are admin/strategic.

Continue reading

"Have a serious think about whether this is the right place for you"

2.0
    Former Employee - Consultant

I worked at Newton Europe full-time

Pros

There are some genuinely great people that work there, who are intelligent, dedicated, and caring. If it works out for you, it can be fun, rewarding and challenging.

Cons

If you have a browse of these reviews you'll see that there are a bunch of 4/5 star ones, saying how great the company is for development, career progression etc, with the only down side being the long hours and being away during the week. Then there a bunch of reviews saying that the company has a toxic culture, poor managers and causes people to have breakdowns, with no regard for mental wellbeing. Chances are you'll be in the first category, but be prepared for a difficult time if you're in the latter. Which one you fall in depends significantly on how well you fit with the company. The company puts such an emphasis on 'fit', that it is often taken to mean how much like your manager are you. The result is a company of very similar people, that is overwhelmingly white and male, and lacks diversity. As someone from a minority background it can be an extremely uncomfortable place, made all the worse by the constant pressure to conform and be like everyone around you. The business has a high turnover, and disproportionately forces out people from minorities. However, it is an extremely intense environment and stressful regardless, so be prepared for this either way. This is amplified by staying away from home Monday to Friday with colleagues to the extent that even time outside of work is scrutinised and given feedback on. This feedback culture can go too far, and in many cases people feel like they can be set up to fail, rather than supported to do the job well. I had experiences where right before doing a task my weaknesses were repeated back at me, under the guise of making me aware as to do better next time, but in reality just reinforced the negativity and instilled anxiety. The business is also pretty out of touch - during my time there it was being discussed whether to use a made up 'ethnic' name on their recruitment literature to appear more diverse. Fortunately, this did not go ahead, but the fact it was even considered says enough. The company more recently says it has recognised its issue with diversity to an extent, but when the business is built around churning out consultants to the same mould, and performance managing out the ones that don't fit, it is never going to be a genuinely inclusive place. The company has been described as a cult, and to be honest it can have that feel. From the book that you get called 'Being Newton' to the fact that you're drilled to believe you're the best and no one else can do what you can. I was even told by a manager on leaving to expect people in my next company to not be as smart as they are here. Most importantly, the company has a bad track record of seriously affecting people's mental health. It needs to learn that even if some people are not performing in the way they want them to, it has a duty of care to not destroy their confidence, insult their ability, and then let them go. This has happened on numerous occasions, and in my case could have been a lot worse if it wasn't for a few genuinely caring colleagues. The fact another review mentions rumours of NDAs after poor company behaviour, and this hasn't been directly denied by the company implies it is true. It will be interesting to see what they respond to this one, if at all. The point of this review is to give an accurate account of an experience at Newton so you can form a balanced opinion, as the marketing during the recruitment process glorifies the work and obviously only shows everything in a positive light. In my opinion, If you have the skills to succeed at Newton, you would also be successful at a number of other places, and probably be a whole lot happier. If you have the slightest of doubts, save yourself the trouble, and more importantly your mental health, and look elsewhere.

Continue reading

Discover more reviews about Newton Europe.