Odgers Berndtson - Good company | Glassdoor.co.uk

"Good company"

I have been working at Odgers Berndtson full-time

Pros

People are friendly and supportive. Good team spirit. Collaborative. Room for growth, development and promotion. London office is well positioned.

Cons

Like every company with humans, some issues arise but the company appears to be working hard to address unhelpful behaviours when they are made aware of them.

Odgers Berndtson2019-01-16

Other Employee Reviews

1. "Great, inclusive environment to work in"

Current Employee - Researcher

I have been working at Odgers Berndtson full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good working environment with supportive colleagues

Cons

Can't think of any reasons at the moment

Odgers Berndtson2019-09-27
  2. "A good place to gain exposure to executive search"

Former Employee - Researcher in London, England

I worked at Odgers Berndtson full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very friendly working environment and good culture in the office. Work life balance was fully supported in the practice I worked in. Extremely talented and intelligent employees who really know their stuff. This is particularly true of the research and EA community who are generally the glue behind most projects. Both the location of, and the office itself are probably the best you’ll see in London. ... Great exposure to clients and lots of responsibility given compared to other search firms. Company is really trying to move away from how it was once perceived in the market - this will take time but it's doing the right things.

Cons

I’ll start by saying that the positives outweigh the negatives at Odgers and that some reviews you’ll see on here should be taken with a pinch of salt. I’ve gone in to more detail below as I genuinely think if the company tweaked a few things it would be appreciated by a number of colleagues. Firstly, I felt that there should be more clarity in terms of expectations for individual roles. If you weren’t a fee... earner, which I was not, it wasn’t clear what constituted success, there were no quantifiable metrics or deliverables where you were able to gauge how well you were doing (or weren’t doing). This led to a very subjective progression path through the company with promotions based on the relationship you had with fee earners you were working with – some people move quickly through the business while others stay in roles for an extended period of time without much clarity as to why. I guess this point is linked to the first, but feedback was often very vague when it came to reviewing your role in the business. In some cases, feedback would be delivered through different people and conflict with what you were previously told. It would help here for line managers/fee earners to ensure that they are on the same page before delivering feedback. The onus to drive your career is very much on the individual. This may suit some people but in my view one size does not fit all. For example, you must apply to be promoted and you can’t be nominated (I have never encountered another business that does it this way). Some people need to be pushed and I feel senior staff should be more hands on in this regard – very few fee earners I worked with took an interest in developing people’s careers. Lastly, employee benefits need work – an early finish on a Friday and a coherent company wide work from home policy do not cost money but should be considered.

Advice to Management

Take time to consider the importance of developing peoples careers other than fee earners, to ensure that you don't lose good people. Other than that I enjoyed my time working at Odgers.

Odgers Berndtson2019-10-16

Discover more reviews about Odgers Berndtson.