OpenMarket - Junior Linux Administrator | Glassdoor.co.uk
  1. "Junior Linux Administrator"

Current Employee - Job Linux Administrator in London, England

I have been working at OpenMarket full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nice people, friendly environment, good salary

Cons

Busy, production environment, once a month outages

Advice to Management

At beginning manager on the boat, later manager remotely.

OpenMarket2017-07-19

"Employee"

I have been working at OpenMarket full-time

Pros

CEO is amazing Authentic management Work culture is excellent-no blame culture Growth opportunities

Cons

None that I can think of

OpenMarket2019-05-09

OpenMarket Response

May 30, 2019CEO

Thanks for your feedback! I’m so glad OpenMarket is providing you with the kind of leadership and growth opportunities you’re looking for in your career. I’d love to hear even more of your feedback – reach out to me at jonathan.morgan@openmarket.com if you’d like to connect.

"Too much hierarchy and office politics"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at OpenMarket full-time for more than a year

Pros

Friendly and supportive colleagues & reasonable middle management

Cons

Looking at the reviews, I expect the majority of the positive comments come from the management, their friends and family members as many OM employees are not satisfied with the company. I really enjoyed working at OpenMarket as my colleagues were friendly and supportive, unfortunately, I cannot say the same about my manager who seemed to be scared of expressing any form of criticism against the leadership. I... completely lost respect towards them as they were timid and unable to defend their own team. Many senior managers seem to be indecisive and lack industry experience, which is reflected in their poor decision making. Majority of them are located in Seattle and are completely out of touch with the situation in Pune, Guadaralaja and London. Furthermore, there is a dangerous trend among the leadership team to employ their ex-colleagues/friends who seem equally incompetent. The company puts an emphasis on diversity, however, the same individuals keep being promoted, some of them got promoted 2-3 times in a year and the majority of them were men. Unfortunately, women don’t get much recognition at OM, especially those who are vocal and dare to criticise the leadership. I also don’t see much diversity across the leadership team- the majority of them are white Americans. Although one of the core values of OpenMakret is ‘be authentic’, not many managers are living up to this standard. The CEO and the management surround themselves with Yes-men only and any form of criticism sooner or later will be punished. ‘Value people’ is another questionable core value of OpenMarket- people should be valued in various ways, paying for drinks and pizza once per month is not enough. At OpenMarket many employees are underpaid for the amount of work they do. The most ‘lucky’ individuals end up doing a job of 2-3 people.  The work culture leaking from the senior management is quite toxic, there is lots of backstabbing and politics that ‘spill’ over the middle managers and regular employees, even those in technical roles. The old-fashioned and not fit for purpose processes and systems may hinder your efficiency. If your laptop doesn’t function properly, it takes ages to get a new one. Moreover, HR, payroll and recruitment processes are very time-consuming and complicated as a result finalising employee’s promotions might take months. If you have any pay-related issues you may end up emailing multiple individuals located in various locations before anyone solves your problem as the HR/Payroll departments are redistributed across the globe. There is a non-existent budget for personal development, only a few of my colleagues were able to attend some conferences last year, most of us couldn’t due to a very tight budget. Nevertheless, some teams (Sales, Marketing) seem to have enough money to attend fancy events. The attrition rate is rocketing high and I have never seen in my whole career so many colleagues departing within such a short space of time. HR claims that this is normal and such an attrition level is an industry-standard. To make it worse, many of those who have left were never replaced. The recruitment team doesn’t employ new people, they just fill the gaps.

Advice to Management

Don’t let experienced people go as you will lose all the knowledge. Increase the salaries and respect your employees and they will work hard enough to make OpenMarket successful again. Change the old fashioned procedures and reorganise your HR department as currently, it lacks expertise. Replace most of the senior managers with professionals who have industry experience as those who are in charge are destroying... the company. Conducting employee satisfaction surveys is not enough to make people believe that you really care- you need to show it!

OpenMarket2019-07-29

Discover more reviews about OpenMarket.