"Felt like home within the first couple months!"

5.0

I have been working at Opower full-time for less than a year

Pros

I've only been here a short time and I ALREADY feel like I've been here for MUCH longer! And that's a good thing. I've learned so much and the people doing the training are excellent. The OpowerU sessions were extremely helpful, and a great way to personally get a feel for each area of the company and ask questions. The benefits Opower offers are wonderful and the fact that they offer supplemental PAID maternity leave is something that lots of companies aren't doing. It's GREAT and says a lot about what the company thinks is important.

Cons

401k matching would be nice but I'm sure that's coming down the pike at some point. I'll have more in this section as my employment continues.

Continue reading
    Opower2014-12-10

Opower Response

March 11, 2015Employer Brand Manager

This is great feedback! Thanks for leaving us a review and for being an O!

1. "A great company with a great mission"

5.0
    Current Employee - Implementation Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Opower full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Everyone was friendly to work with. Surprisingly well run as a company.

Cons

Not sure how their culture has changed after being acquired by Oracle. Betting it was for the worse.

Opower2018-08-31

"Toxic: If you don't like it they will happily find someone to replace you!"

1.0

I worked at Opower

Pros

Please read my thoughts below

Cons

Working at Opower/Oracle was one of the most disheartening experiences of my professional life. Much like a toxic relationship, it was so surreal that it took distance to recognize how manipulative and evil it was. This is no longer a startup that cares about the environment or your career development. Product teams called "tribes" as in tribal warfare, were organized to fight against each other for resources or to get initiatives on the sacred roadmap. It was impossible to get anything built because the engineering teams were incorrectly staffed. The development department is a poster child for "full stack dilettante" any specialization was circa 1990. User testing, research, and data science are nonexistent, they fired that entire department before the acquisition, all that's left is a shell of its former self. The design and engineering teams, operate like a molasses waterfall. Management will lie to you about promotions here and there, oh next year we'll have the budget. They'll also interview prospective hires, tell them the job has closed, then weeks later tell them it's open again. The only way to become promoted is by sheer chance or by counter offering. Expect to be stuck on the one project forever. Want to take initiative and lead another project? They'll hire someone else to do that and keep you in your silo. On the plus side: the nice thing about the level of effort expected is you did not need to show up for work. So work life balance was a major plus, nobody cared and you could coast along into oblivion or just… work from home… Think you can use google drive, or dropbox, or anything modern? Think again! Oracle's tyrannical stronghold on being a monolith extends into its totalitarian culture: home brewed horrifying mail client from 1990 check, oradocs (aka bad google drive which misplaces documents) check, impossible to use expense reporting tool check.

Continue reading
    Opower2020-04-09

Discover more reviews about Opower.