Employee Review

1. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great place to work, great culture, and I had a great manager.

Nov 11, 2021 - Resourcing Partner in Oxford, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great culture, very supportive, and they treat you like a capable worker (not micro-managing, in my experience). Was really happy with my manager and my team. Very fun focused and outgoing. Great Christmas party in Oxford too!!

Cons

Make sure you ask if you need assistance. In my experience, you will be trusted to perform your duties and achieve your targets under your own steam - but that does not mean support is not there. In fact there's plenty, but be sure to mention if you struggle. Was one instance of a manager wanting to anonymously provide negative feedback on an employee changing jobs internally (what would amount to unaccountable character assassination), but this was stopped by HR. Some salaries could be higher (but you could say that everywhere!)

Continue reading
    Be the first to find this review helpful

Oxford University Press Response

OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review, especially the comments around our culture and how you felt supported by both your manager and team during your time at OUP. If you would like to provide us with any further feedback, please consider emailing glassdoor@oup.com.

1. 5.0
    Former Employee

Excelent ESL material!

Nov 30, 2021 - Nanny in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

I've worked as a teacher for a bilingual program for a few years now using Oxford University Press material. It's very complete, with an enoumous range of activities and suggestions.

Cons

The company lacks a bit of support for their foreigner teachers.

Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 8 years

Not What it Used to Be

Jan 15, 2022 - Editor in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

The folks in the editorial departments - whether editorial assistants or editors - will move mountains to help each other. Non-managerial staff also recently unionized, so it's good to know that there are others looking out for you. The Higher Ed dept is great and Petra Recter is a strong leader with good business sense.

Cons

In summer of 2021, all depts except Higher Ed moved to a pooled assistant system, so EAs are only allowed to do gratis, payments, and contracts. To get help, an editor has to put in a request via a ticket system. Editors are struggling more now than ever before, and it's hard to retain help. The managing director of Oxford has put more of an emphasis on profitability than ever before, and it feels like you're working on a conveyor belt in a factory. On top of that, management's focus on diversity is strictly performative. Burn out is very common.

Continue reading
    4 people found this review helpful

Discover more reviews about Oxford University Press.