Palantir Technologies - Interesting Place ... | Glassdoor.co.uk

"Interesting Place ..."

Former Intern - Software Engineer Intern

I worked at Palantir Technologies

Pros

Amazing (like seriously amazing) people. Not just ridiculously smart and talented, but also extremely collaborative, friendly, and nerdy (in a good way) people. I don't think I've ever fit in better with a group of people. Interesting work, I don't want to go into the specifics of what I worked on but it was pretty cool, and used modern technologies.

Cons

Work/life balance was kind of bad. Not for me, since I was a software engineering intern, but FDEs had notoriously bad work/life balance, and even software engineers on my team put in 50-60 hours some weeks (2 over the course of a twelve week internship, and both were when we were pushing for release). And this culture of "taking pain" was ingrained in Palantir; I distinctly remember hearing things like "Palantir engineers are set apart by their inability to give up even if things get really hard." Which sounds great and all, but really endorses this work before everything else culture (which doesn't always exist, but can come up before releases). Tying into the previous point, the culture seemed a little kool-aidy. People were really hyped on Palantir fighting terrorism and "saving the shire". People told me that they joined the company because Palantir was the only company where you could change the world and solve huge issues on Silicon Valley pay. Which is true, to an extent. But I don't think that attitude, that Palantir is so much better or doing so much more for the world than other Silicon Valley companies is healthy for their engineers to have. Overall, it's a mixed bag. If you care a lot about your work having a huge impact, and you are okay with putting in more than 40 hrs/week some weeks, then this may be the place for you. If not, you can still probably fit in, and find a place at Palantir, and you would probably be really happy with your coworkers. But you might be happier at another company in terms of work-life balance and culture. There are a lot of really amazing companies in the area after all.

Palantir Technologies2017-04-19
  1. "Amazing company with amazing opportunities to grow"

Current Employee - Forward Deployed Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Palantir Technologies full-time for more than a year

Pros

From day one you get exposed to challenging problems and you help important institutions solve them by using data. Great company mission. It's easy to move from team to team and learn about different industries. Amazing perks. Every person I have met is interesting and brilliant. I love going to work every day.

Cons

Not a great relationship with media (we don't really have any). There's a lot of false/wrong information out there about our work and not a lot being done to fix that. People tend to get confused with what we do or why we work with certain customers.

Continue reading
    Palantir Technologies2020-02-13
  2. "Good place for great engineering!"

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Palantir Technologies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Interesting clients, good pay, interesting problems

Cons

Travel, reputation, career progression, location

Palantir Technologies2020-01-30

Discover more reviews about Palantir Technologies.