Pret A Manger - Worst first day experience | Glassdoor.co.uk
Pros
Cons
  • "I'm often on shifts where team members are talking to each other in front of me in polish" (in 26 reviews)

• "Sometimes working extra long hours and extra days in the week" (in 23 reviews)

Employee Review

Employee Review

"Worst first day experience"

Former Employee - Team Member in London, England
Former Employee - Team Member in London, England

Pros

Nothing at all..... Not even a 0.0005 star

Cons

Management don't speak one bit of English
Staff in the kitchen don't speak English
It's really hard to communicate
Lies about family team vibes
They don't recruit you for your work ethic
So the team decides who gets in (I'm telling you NOW if you are not Italian, Hungarian, Spanish or polish they won't pick you in LONDON)
Ethnic and racial issues (if you don't believe me go to few stores ask who's a white or black British in the team)
I'm telling as soon as they hear you speak a proper English you are crossed out man ..... If you are a British you will be targeted probably you won't get the job like my friend today or they will never let you progress in the business like me ( I'm in the kitchen 4months and people that really have hard time to communicate serve the customer at the till and God knows what they mumble)
The place is crawling of them it's hard to let some other English friend

Advice to Management

Hire British people
Practice English at work rather than using your language
And stop listening to your fella country boys or girls of their stupid feed back
Stop recruit only your people

Other Employee Reviews

Other Employee Reviews

"this company is ok, nothing more"

Current Employee - Team Leader in London, England
    Current Employee - Team Leader in London, England

Pros

fast steping uo oppurtunity, good team,

Cons

early shifts, unfair money - the people in the kitchen usually working harder then the people at the till, but still, the money is the same.

Advice to Management

Most of the managers are really difficult, they forgot where they come from, please treat the people as human beings, We know the profit and your career are important but you don't have to be rude.

2. "Barista Role Part-Time"

Pros

PRET has a good environment with lots to learn and you can adapt and progress quickly, it was an ideal part-time job for me during my university time.

Cons

Depending on the shop you get to work in, you may never learn about the kitchen (preparation and food safety) on the contrary to what they tell you before you are hired (that you will receive front of house as well as kitchen training in the first few weeks). This is not true and simply depends on business needs (if they require people in kitchen you will never see front house job facing customers)

Advice to Management

There are no appointed qualified trainers there like you promise beforehand, why say it then? You just have to learn as you go form your colleagues and not everyone knows everything perfectly, which may mean that you could learn something wrong or "not as it is in the book". For example whether you need to "waste an espresso" after cleaning the machine in the evening at closing or will it be wasted in the morning? This is serious issues and such seemingly small mistakes may mean that some customer gets a coffee with the chemicals in the morning!

Discover more reviews about Pret A Manger.