Pret A Manger - Bad jobs for sometimes good people | Glassdoor.co.uk
Pros
Cons
  • "I'm often on shifts where team members are talking to each other in front of me in polish" (in 26 reviews)

• "Sometimes working extra long hours and extra days in the week" (in 24 reviews)

Employee Review

Employee Review

"Bad jobs for sometimes good people"

Former Employee - Team Member in London, England
Former Employee - Team Member in London, England

I worked at Pret A Manger full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free food until you hate it

Cons

Slavery for non British people

Advice to Management

Good luck with Brexit!

Other Employee Reviews

Other Employee Reviews

"Don't be caught out by 'perfect' looking company."

Current Contractor - Team Member Star
    Current Contractor - Team Member Star

I have been working at Pret A Manger as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Free food on shift
    Quick recruitment process
    Mystery shopper bonus -
    You get to know your colleagues and with some, you get a sense of being part of a 'family' due to Pret's teamwork nature.
    Prets parties

Cons

Terrible management- Doesn't help with the fact alot of the managers selected are foreign so your cultural differences become apparent. I feel some bias in the way managers are recruited. There are many hard working brits who could be fantastic managers but I haven't come across a British manager in either 4 shops I have worked at. Some, not all, are very rude and abrupt.

When someone is seen not doing something for a split second, they are told to get on the floor and make conversation with customers who are eating and having their own conversations. This makes me feel totally uncomfortable and rude. I feel as though pret goes over the top with customer service and if u aren't willing to do this then you will find it hard working at this company. You must be a confident and bubbly person.

For British people, working in an environment with more foreigners than you can be tough at times. I'm often on shifts where team members are talking to each other in front of me in polish. It makes you feel uncomfortable. After bringing this up to management warnings were given yet no change.

Labour- picking up heavy loads of drinks, deliveries etc.

Cleaning- pret doesn't employ cleaners. Team members, kitchen staff etc are expected to clean everything throughly day in day out. Ovens, floors, walls, tables, fridges, coffee machines, dishwashers, chemical room - the list is endless. This cleaning is done throughout the day but closing shift workers are practically cleaners. There's a list of around 30 individual jobs needed to be finished by the time your shift ends. 80% of the time, this doesn't happen and you end up working up to 2 hrs after your end of shift.

FAKE atmosphere - you are told to smile smile smile. Whether a customer is damn right rude to you, you must keep smiling. When you're doing jobs such as cleaning you must keep smiling. Not only does this make you feel like a clown, it is humiliating and not every worker has a personality like this. Pret wants their staff to be moulded into 'a perfect robot'

I work in a very busy store in one of the UKs biggest airports. We are understaffed and have too much pressure put on each one of us. The workload per team member is quite honestly a joke. Many times workers go through their shifts (often doing overtime also) with no break. I have witnessed pregnant team members and kitchen staff on their feet for the whole shift with no break because 'we are too busy and productivity must remain high'. All that pret seems to care about is the profits and not the wellbeing of their staff.

I have resigned. I am ill through the stress of working in this company. At times it can be hell on Earth - which is unnecessary for a coffee shop.

Advice to Management

Please put your management through training. They can't handle running busy shops and often take it out on their colleagues. They need training in how to create efficient rotas also, which are often very unbalanced. Without us, the shops would be on their knees. Let us be ourselves and we will work better!

2. "Nice place to work"

Former Employee - Team Leader
    Former Employee - Team Leader

I worked at Pret A Manger full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-relatively good pay
    -friendly international teams

Cons

-you have to work really hard
    -early start (5 am)

Discover more reviews about Pret A Manger.