"Turned Sour"

2.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Relief International full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great learning environment. Was able to create experiences with reasonable allowances from management. Friendly co-workers. Liked my superior.

Cons

Turned into slave labor. Hours were being stretched and often turned into 10+ hr work days. Former CEO was the force behind the negative work environment. He never gave raises as promised, since he so happened to be the final decision maker behind everyone's salary. Senior management in department was mainly out of touch, creating a strange dynamic when time called.

Continue reading

Relief International Response

June 15, 2017

Dear writer, We appreciate your comments regarding RI’s learning environment and we’re delighted that like many of our employees you had the opportunity to create positive work relationships during your time at RI. As you note, Relief International has new leadership, a change that took place in 2013/2014. The new team has strengthened bottom to top communication between leadership and employees with annual organization-wide surveys, Town Hall formats with the CEO and all employees and other feedback mechanisms. For these and many other reasons, our employee turnover rates are among the lowest in the INGO community. It’s unfortunate that you felt misused during your time with Relief International. We have found that people who chose to work in the humanitarian sector for organizations like ours are driven by mission and generally understand that the work comes with inconveniences such as working across multiple time zones or making due with fewer resources so we can deliver more to beneficiaries. Though the work is demanding, respect for staff is at the core or our values. Thank you for your feedback. We wish you the best in your future endeavors. Sincerely, HR

Other Employee Reviews

1. "Great environment in spite of the challenges"

5.0

I have been working at Relief International full-time for more than a year

Pros

Employee friendly, opportunities to visit the field, and move internally.

Cons

Very limited resources. The workload can be overwhelming at times.

Continue reading
  2. "Lots going on with little guidance"

2.0
    Former Intern - Health Intern in Washington, DC
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Relief International for less than a year

Pros

I learned a lot as an intern. I had to learn how to utilize innovative global health programs used for analyzing the effectiveness of global health interventions. It was exciting stuff!

Cons

My supervisor was never in the office. I saw him my first day and my last day. I was basically on my own and had to learn everything by myself for a project that I was told I would have to work on over the summer. There were other people in the office who were there to help, but in reality I had no direct line of communication with anyone.

Discover more reviews about Relief International.