Employee Review

1. 1.0
    Current Employee

Do not get a job at river island!!!

Jan 2, 2015 - Sales Advisor
    Business Outlook

Pros

Opportunity for over time if you need it

Cons

I've worked at river Island for just over a year, and if I didn't need the money to help me through uni I would have quit a long time ago! The company do absolutely nothing for their store staff. We get paid minimum wage which is considerably lower than other fashion retailers. Head office staff and warehouse staff get treated better and get better perks, huge amount more discount and they don't even need to wear the clothes! As a sales adviser you have to wear river island clothes that they expect you to buy on your minimum wage. We get a pathetic 30% discount; and only an allowance of £150 a month which works out as nothing! Head office and warehouse staff get 50% unlimited discount. Very high staff turnover, particularly of management which means if you do overtime you're unlikely to get it paid to you that month because your hours have been lost due to poor organisation and lack of communication. Expect to be accused of internal theft because your stock loss is so high because no one has been trained on anything properly. Management extremely two faced -it's like being back in the playground. It's the worst place to work over Christmas, this year we didn't even get paid before Christmas then still didn't get paid in January on the day we was meant to - very distressing as you can imagine! Don't exoect the company to give you any money towards a work night out over Christmas either - yet all you see splashed over social media is the big extravagant head office Christmas party! When they do have the odd store incentive where there is a chance to win vouchers etc, don't always expect it! Once we were promised a pair of free jeans if we won a denim incentive that was going on - we won and received nothing! Their lack of appreciation for their staff is appalling, no one wants to be there and it makes for a very negative working environment.

Continue reading
    3 people found this review helpful

River Island Clothing Response

Recruitment Officer

Thanks for your feedback, we'll take it on board.

1. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

nothing

Mar 10, 2021 - Site Reliability Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

nothing nothing nothing nothing nothing nothing

Cons

anothing anothing anothing anothing anothing anothing

Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 4.0
    Current Employee

Part Time

Oct 20, 2021 - Sales Assistant in Glasgow, KY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good first job to enjoy team work

Cons

Not many cons due to low working hours

Be the first to find this review helpful

Discover more reviews about River Island Clothing.