"Good career start but needs to invest in improving culture and work/life balance."

2.0
    Current Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Robert Walters full-time

Pros

Good place to kick-start career if you have little to no experience. Clear growth trajectory and good training for new starters.

Cons

Poor work/life balance - Employees are expected to work overtime regularly, come in early and stay late. There's no flexibility when it comes to hours and you will face resistance when taking sick time or WFH (in regular times, employees often come into the office sick due to this). Little understanding for employees with long commutes, special circumstances, outside commitments, etc. Considering the office is based in SF, there are many other comparable companies with much better work/life culture. Very KPI driven - High pressure and competitive environment (it’s a sales role), although this is to be expected in an agency setting such as this. Inexperienced management - Most managers have worked their way up in the business and have no outside experience. Not very understanding and at times can be unprofessional. Need to invest more here and train managers in good HR practices. Outdated technology - Workflow is slowed down because of regular tech issues and lack of support. Internal software is dated and difficult to use.

Continue reading

Robert Walters Response

Human Resources

Thanks for your review. I appreciate you being so thorough in your feedback, even if I was disappointed to read much of it. First, I take on board your point about our technology/systems, and I can assure you that we are working on this and that it’s a top priority for the business. Second, you’re right – this is a commercial environment and every member of our team needs to be a high performer, but I also think we reward that hard work with trust, autonomy and as much flexibility as we can. And I’m personally very proud that we’re able to offer our staff a path to management — that’s why we’ve partnered with a market-leading management training firm to develop our managers and ensure we always follow HR best practices. That said, I would never endorse any action by any manager that put the health and wellbeing of our people at risk. I really value the culture we’ve built here, and I want every member of our team to get the support that he/she needs. I’d appreciate the chance to speak to you privately and get some further details about your experience – in complete confidence, of course. Please feel free to email me and we can set something up. Thanks, Simon Bromwell Managing Director – North America

1. "Great place to work"

5.0
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Robert Walters full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great culture, great team and great place to make money

Cons

So many opportunities to be had

2. COVID-19

"Wonderful experience - the best team & greatest opportunities to grow"

5.0
    Former Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Robert Walters full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There is simply no better place to launch a career in recruitment. Robert Walters SF is known on the market for their track record and rigor, with a laser focus on helping tech companies make difficult hires. To do so means producing some of the strongest and most well-rounded professional recruitment consultants in the Bay Area. RW takes a unique approach in hiring individuals with little to no experience in the field and they train you up to be an expert in your specialized function. As an employee who came in with no prior recruitment experience, it was an empowering journey to learn and grow at this company. Consultants at RW are hired for aptitude and potential, and brought into an on-boarding/training program that is best-in-class. You'll quickly learn the ropes of recruitment in a hands-on approach that gives individuals a lot of autonomy, fast. Management and senior staff are there to provide guidance, support, and all the tools you need, but ultimately your success is based on your own effort and drive. Those who are hungry to challenge themselves and develop professionally will thrive here. RW SF provides you the space to take on more responsibility from day one. You'll spend a lot of time upfront on candidate sourcing but will quickly take on a consultative approach with candidates and clients, responsible for everything that happens on your desk; from business development, contract and offer negotiation, to advising on interview processes or career moves. I was amazed how quickly I learned the market and felt confident having difficult conversations to wrangle even the most impressive and tenured candidates/clients - it's an incredible opportunity to build professional confidence in this way, especially so early in your career. You will be given clear metrics for what "success" looks like, as well as clear promotional targets. RW SF commits to "continued learning" in the form of offsite trainings for consultants at different stages in their career, management coaching, and collaboration with (and opportunities to visit!) other US or international offices. Last, but certainly not least - this is not just a job, and not just a career. This was a place I learned from some of the best mentors in the business and made some of the best friends in my life. The team that RW SF has built is the best you can find. Caring, collaborative, smart, fun, and driven… there is always someone to learn from and someone to lean on. All said and done, the people and team are what make RW SF what it is. Other pros: -Generous salary & additional incentives for success -Benefits: PTO/holidays; health; dental; increased emphasis on mental wellness; 401k match; commuter benefits, etc. -Flexible WFH arrangements (esp. since COVID, understandably) -Great office location (convenient and super nice space with gym access!) -International presence & ability to travel/transfer internationally -Training programs & continued education -Events: weekly team Happy Hour; quarterly celebration; annual Christmas party; etc.

Cons

You will experience times when the job can feel repetitive or in a "rut". Recruitment is cyclical so this is something that ebbs and flows. You'll always be busy and always feeling that there is something more that can be done - it's not a con, but it's important for consultants to understand the drive needed, and to find the work/life balance that works for them. Early on, KPIs and metrics are used to get consultants up to speed and on track for what a successful recruitment process looks like. This can be over-drilled on at times and is not for everyone, but ultimately I found this structure to be a benefit most of the time, and could be relaxed a bit at others. A few people have mentioned the technology. This has actually improved a lot as the leadership team listened to this feedback and have overhauled on that over the past 2-3 years. It's continuing to be improved upon, and a non-issue in my book.

Continue reading

Discover more reviews about Robert Walters.