"A great company for your career but there is a diversity problem within management teams"

5.0

I have been working at SGN full-time

Pros

People: People are great, they make you feel welcome when you join. You'll come across the odd grumpy boots but that's normal in every company. SGN's employees are also diverse which is great- it's just a shame this isn't reflected in the managers (see below). Engagement with employees: There's an app which has competitions to win hotel stays, various gadgets and concert tickets. Rewards for employees: There's some employee benefits like cheap cinema tickets and discounted shopping vouchers. There's also a reward scheme where you receive credit for shopping vouchers if you are nominated by your colleagues for doing a great job. Office: The office is open-plan so your desk is close to other departments. Good if you want to get to know colleagues outside of your team. Although, it can be a bit loud sometimes, especially if you need to concentrate. Progression: Great progression internally. Lots of secondment opportunities and internal development programmes.

Cons

Problems with diversity in senior roles e.g 95% of managers are middle-aged men. Nepotism - Managers giving their family members jobs at SGN that they are neither qualified nor experienced for. HR isn't bothered by this and allows this to happen frequently- it looks like its easier to do this, than to interview external qualified candidates. Skills gap- You'll come across some people who can barely use a computer or actually do their job and you begin to wonder how they got their job in the first place (see comment about nepotism).

SGN Response

May 22, 2017Employee Experience Co-ordinator

Thanks for taking the time to give us your feedback. We value your views and want to continue to find ways to improve our workplace. I’m pleased you like our app – it’s a great way to reach more of our colleaqgues with our latest news and views. You’re right there’s lack of diversity, not just at SGN but across the utilities sector, which is undeniably a male-dominated industry. We recognised the need to change and recently did some audits on both diversity and inclusion, and on recruitment practices. As a result we’re training 60 hiring managers in inclusive recruitment best practice in June (more training will follow) and we’ve hired an Interim Recruitment Manager to put in place new, more inclusive processes. We’re supporting national campaigns such as International Women’s Day, which focuses on gender equality and gives us, as a company, the chance to reflect on what else we can do to develop an inclusive and flexible culture. The age profile of our company, and the industry means that many of our senior people will be retiring over the next few years, giving many opportunities for progression. Our Executive team has changed this year too - we’ve now got three females who have responsibility for Legal, HR and Stakeholder Relations. There’s lots of positive change ahead – it’s an exciting time to be part of SGN. Thanks again for your contribution and feedback.

"Currently team manager"

Current Employee - EMS Manager in England, AR

I have been working at SGN full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

# Pension, # over time # lots of training for field staff # good apprenticeship scheme

Cons

Senior management always interfering, no real career progression, big difference in payscales between D & C business for doing the same job

2. COVID-19

"Good experience, continuously improving"

5.0
    Current Employee - Stakeholder Manager in Edinburgh, Scotland

I have been working at SGN full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The way SGN has looked after it's employees during Covid-19 has been great e.g. very quickly mobilising homeworking; stopping all but essential works; getting PPE out to those in need; regular comms; use of technology (MS Teams and a comms App) to ensure people stay connected; listening to employees via a covid survey; and working tirelessly to ensure offices and depots are safe for those people returning. I've been impressed that changes are being made as a result of survey feedback and I must say, I love the new recognition system, shout out. So many genuine shows of appreciation - spot on timing. I can honestly say I'm proud to work for SGN. Thank you!

Cons

Sometimes the pace of change is slow, but it's a utility and many of the people don't like change so inevitably it can be like pushing water uphill.

SGN Response

July 22, 2020Employee Experience Officer

Thanks for taking the time to write a review and give your feedback - we're so pleased to hear your experience working at SGN during Covid-19 has been positive and you felt supported in SGN's response. I'm glad you're enjoying the new recognition system, Shout Out, as we know how important it is to recognise our colleagues and all of the great work being done across the business - especially during this time. We're constantly listening and collecting insight from our people, like with the recent Covid-19 survey, so we can make meaningful changes to the way we work. We recognise ‘the pace of change’ at SGN can sometimes be slow because we're a regulated business with safety and process considerations to make. However, in recent months, we've increased the pace to ensure we're responding and adapting to the situation as it develops . We're committed to continuously improving and look forward to lots more positive change ahead. Thanks again for your contribution and feedback.

Discover more reviews about SGN.