"Lots of good things and a few not so good, but things are moving in the right direction."

4.0
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at SGN full-time

Pros

The people are great, in many places there's a strong family feel, and people want to deliver the best customer experience. Community involvement is high on the agenda - the CAP scheme allows everyone to spend one day each year working together to make a difference for our local communities. Some of our leaders genuinely embrace it. There's also a matched giving fund too. Recognition is done well. The SGNWay awards recognise lots of people every month. There’s a fantastic magazine with a strong people focus, as well as an App for news and blogs which is helps to communicate with harder to reach field-based workers. Anyone can blog and the company supports powerful campaigns such as Mental Health Week and International Women’s Day. Like many companies, Inclusion and Diversity is an issue. Things appear to be changing for the better but the pace of change is rather slow. Innovation is a priority and the company is leading the way in this area. Many awards have been won, not only in innovation, but also in leadership, gas safety and comms. It’s great that these are recognised across the company. Overall lots of people want to make a difference and improve things.

Cons

Not so good is IT but a Cloud and O365 migration should help. Poor network speeds and lack of good wifi across sites. Some managers’ people skills are limited. HR processes are frustrating but things are improving in this area.

SGN Response

October 24, 2017Employee Experience Team

Thanks for sharing your experience of working for SGN. It’s great to hear positivity about many of the areas we do well. Like many companies, IT can be challenging but our O365 and Cloud migration project should modernise how we work. With respect to network speeds and wifi, we’re currently upgrading our core network and internet links with a new provider which will improve the experience for everyone. We also invest in two mobile networks with the two leading UK mobile network providers for our field based staff. Next year wifi will be rolled out across all major sites, not just our head office, which is I'm sure you'll agree is great progress.

"Currently team manager"

Current Employee - EMS Manager in England, AR

I have been working at SGN full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

# Pension, # over time # lots of training for field staff # good apprenticeship scheme

Cons

Senior management always interfering, no real career progression, big difference in payscales between D & C business for doing the same job

2. COVID-19

"Good experience, continuously improving"

5.0
    Current Employee - Stakeholder Manager in Edinburgh, Scotland

I have been working at SGN full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The way SGN has looked after it's employees during Covid-19 has been great e.g. very quickly mobilising homeworking; stopping all but essential works; getting PPE out to those in need; regular comms; use of technology (MS Teams and a comms App) to ensure people stay connected; listening to employees via a covid survey; and working tirelessly to ensure offices and depots are safe for those people returning. I've been impressed that changes are being made as a result of survey feedback and I must say, I love the new recognition system, shout out. So many genuine shows of appreciation - spot on timing. I can honestly say I'm proud to work for SGN. Thank you!

Cons

Sometimes the pace of change is slow, but it's a utility and many of the people don't like change so inevitably it can be like pushing water uphill.

SGN Response

July 22, 2020Employee Experience Officer

Thanks for taking the time to write a review and give your feedback - we're so pleased to hear your experience working at SGN during Covid-19 has been positive and you felt supported in SGN's response. I'm glad you're enjoying the new recognition system, Shout Out, as we know how important it is to recognise our colleagues and all of the great work being done across the business - especially during this time. We're constantly listening and collecting insight from our people, like with the recent Covid-19 survey, so we can make meaningful changes to the way we work. We recognise ‘the pace of change’ at SGN can sometimes be slow because we're a regulated business with safety and process considerations to make. However, in recent months, we've increased the pace to ensure we're responding and adapting to the situation as it develops . We're committed to continuously improving and look forward to lots more positive change ahead. Thanks again for your contribution and feedback.

Discover more reviews about SGN.