SGN - Devastated at job loss. | Glassdoor.co.uk
  1. "Devastated at job loss."

Former Contractor - Data Entry Administrator in Orpington, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at SGN for more than a year

Pros

* Loved my job * Friendly colleagues * Really enjoyed my time with the company

Cons

Until 30th September 2019, I was employed via an agency at SGN in Orpington. On 16th September 2019, a baseless accusation was brought against me which I categorically denied in the form of a written statement that was submitted through my agency. My accuser was given hours to speak to the Human Resources (HR) department through face-to-face meetings, whilst I was not afforded a single meeting. Indeed, the... only response I was afforded during this time was the aforementioned statement. Further, I provided two character references, neither of which did HR bother to contact. I have a clean DBS and have never been in trouble either inside or outside the workplace. On 30th September 2019, despite the statement and character references I provided, and no evidence provided by my accuser, HR terminated my contract. They did not accuse me of any wrongdoing, but gave the reason that the situation was ‘untenable’. This, despite them not even attempting to make the situation tenable. There was no attempt at mediation between myself and my accuser. There was no attempt to resolve the situation with us both keeping our employment, despite my written offer to do anything required to help create a safe environment. Further, neither my line manager, nor my team manager were consulted throughout this process. Neither manager wanted me to leave the company and both would have vouched for my character. My line manager only became aware that my employment had been terminated when I informed her on the evening of my dismissal (having just worked a full day with her). Although, I was employed via an agency, I had been working at the company for thirteen months, with the expectation for that work to continue into the foreseeable future, and the likelihood of the job becoming permanent. I really enjoyed my role, it was near-perfect for me and within a close proximity of my home. I have suffered with social anxiety disorder, which I have been clinically diagnosed with, my entire life. Because of this, I have difficulty finding employment, as passing interviews is not easy for me. Since leaving school at eighteen (I will turn thirty in November 2019) I have never had a permanent contract and rely on agency work. SGN were made aware of my disability on 24th September, and how their investigation was making me feel. In spite of this, the same tactics continued until my dismissal. I filed a formal letter of complaint to the company on 3rd October 2019. Thirteen days later, on 16th October, I received a response from the same individual who investigated my case and terminated my employment. This response was short and blunt and stated that the company will not be dealing with my complaint. I then escalated my complaint and received a fuller response. This letter was sympathetic, and I am grateful for that, but still reaffirmed that the company will not be dealing with my complaint. This letter was filled with misinformation and cited laws that do not exist. Even after checking with an employment lawyer, the Advisory, Conciliation and Advisory Service (ACAS) and the Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB), between us we were unable to identify any laws that the letter could be referring to. I am concerned that agency workers can be used simply as collateral by employers. I have lost a job I loved and colleagues I admired for no good reason and without a thorough or fair investigation having taken place. Agency workers are vulnerable and this is a prime example. I do not think it is remotely fair that I should have lost my job and having done so, I am now unable to provide for myself. Further, my termination validated my accuser’s claim. I have no legal right to defend myself. I believe agency worker’s rights need to be further protected. There is no good reason why they should not be. Whether employed temporarily or permanently, employers should have to provide a valid reason for terminating an employee’s contract; unfair dismissal is unfair dismissal. I am truly distraught and find it difficult to comprehend me finding a job that was more perfect for me than this one was.

Advice to Management

When an allegation is made against another human being, especially an allegation with no supporting evidence, please ensure that a fair and thorough investigation takes place, no matter how. You are dealing with the lives of individuals, not commodities, please understand and respect this. I was on the verge of my first ever permanent contract and HR took that opportunity away from me so readily. Despite... receiving a letter, which was sympathetic, and I did appreciate, there is no law that forbids agency workers from being treated the same way as those employed by the company itself. There is also no law forbidding the HR department from interviewing me themselves. I was not interviewed by SGN once during this investigation. Talk in the same letter of a ‘mutual agreement’ between SGN and the agency resulting in my dismissal, is not the feedback I received from the agency. I was told by the agency that SGN made this decision and the agency attempted to persuade them to rethink. The company speaks well about ‘respecting’ and ‘valuing’ everybody, but at no point have HR made me feel either respected or valued. They also speak about creating a more ‘diverse’ workforce, but the HR department were made aware of my disability and got rid of me swiftly after finding out. They were given two further opportunities to rethink, twice they chose to close the case. Despite their talk, my experience is that SGN are not committed to improving the diversity of their staff. The question I would put to management is the following. What kind of organisation do you want SGN to be? A professional company that employs best practice, or a company that does what it can legally get away with?

SGN2019-10-24

"Currently team manager"

Current Employee - EMS Manager in England, AR

I have been working at SGN full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

# Pension, # over time # lots of training for field staff # good apprenticeship scheme

Cons

Senior management always interfering, no real career progression, big difference in payscales between D & C business for doing the same job

Advice to Management

Let your managers manage

SGN2017-04-04
  2. "A job for life."

Current Employee - First Call Operative in London, England

I have been working at SGN full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

If you're a grafter, can follow procedures & instructions, and eager to earn good money, this job is right up your street. Answer your phone when on call and you can expect £50k + per annum without even trying.

Cons

Long hours - but you're financially compensated very well. Core hours work life balance is good if you're satisfied with the basic salary. This is NOT a role for a lazy individual who wants to get paid for nothing.

Advice to Management

You're doing well gents.. Keep it that way.

SGN2019-11-23

Discover more reviews about SGN.