SGN - The worst job I have ever held. | Glassdoor.co.uk

"The worst job I have ever held."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, South East England, England

I worked at SGN full-time for less than a year

Pros

I have no pros to this job - see my advice to management.

Cons

Dishonest, duplicitous, illegal and unethical. I hope that they get bitten by karma very, very hard.

Advice to Management

I joined SGN in late January. In my training team we had three people, myself included. On our first day, one of our other new starters mentioned that she rarely (very rarely) had a smell of gas in her garage. Our trainer told her that she should get one of the engineers to attend. The next day, the trainer asked her if she had done this - namely, called in during her free time outside of work and booked in for work.... The new starter explained that she hadn't had time to do so. The new trainee never came back. She was fired, right then and there. For not having followed an order from her trainer in her own free time, outside of work. That's the type of environment that SGN wanted, I realized. They don't want you to work there - they think that if you wear their name badge, they own you. Even in your own free life, outside of work. I didn't say anything at the time. Instead, I kept working away there. Everything was going swimmingly, I was at the top of my training team. We had a new trainer who sat with me daily, and I was exceeding all of my targets. Until the first of April, when management pulled me into a meeting and told me that I wasn't where they wanted me to be with my training and dismissed me on the spot. I genuinely couldn't believe it. At first I thought it was an April Fools joke. I outright told them that this was incorrect. I left the room and asked my trainer, who told me that he knew nothing about this and reassured me that I was exactly where I should be for my training. I spoke to the manager again, but all she would say is that they made up their mind. In response I told them that this was fine - it had been a waste of months of my time - and handed in my security pass. I told them that I expected their REAL reason for dismissal to be submitted to me in writing. To this date I have not received that. No letter, no actual truth to their reason, nothing. I have had no communication from SGN, they completely refused to acknowledged in any way - I have spoken to an employment tribunal and the company's refusal to give any comment in any way seems to be designed to block that legal route. Very, very unethical. The entire thing was extremely fishy. I was well loved by my team and exceeding all of my training, taking to the job easily and was meeting every criteria. I can only think of only four possible reasons 1- The company had brought in too many new starters and overspent. As my work rota included a lot of overnights, my salary was costing the company more than the other new starters and so I was dismissed as a money-saving exercise. 2- The company became aware that I was intending to undergo gender reassignment surgery and had an issue with this 3- The company became aware that I am a member of a trade union and had an issue with this 4- On one incident during training, the department manager asked all of the new starter staff to tell him their opinions on brexit, I can only assume to gauge whose opinions matched his own. With SGN's refusal to engage in any way with their unlawful and immoral practices, I doubt that I will ever find out the truth, but I would advise anybody who is offered a role with this organisation to run in the other direction as fast as possible.

SGN2019-10-25
  1. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Senior Test Manager in Portsmouth, South East England, England

I have been working at SGN full-time for less than a year

Pros

Its a dynamic business, really up and coming in their technology, a fast paced and exciting place to work at the sharp end of today's technology. I find most the people here are really down to earth, minimising on the fluff and jargon, they actually get on with the work! I am well supported by my manager and I feel appreciated. Incredibly busy, but the work life balance is good! It is still early days in... the business, but so far so good.

Cons

Its a bit chaotic at times, lots going on. Office is very industrial and dated compared to other businesses I have worked in, limited on facilities, basic canteen, no gym and located in an industrial estate.

SGN2019-09-23
  2. "More bad than good"

Current Contractor - Account Manager
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at SGN for less than a year

Pros

Relaxed Nice atmosphere Good people Good Locations

Cons

Awful pay rate Lots of agency staff No female management Outdated processes

SGN2019-10-31

Discover more reviews about SGN.