1. "Welcoming, engaging, promising"

5.0
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in London, England

I have been working at Smarkets full-time for less than a year

Pros

Full of very capable developers Freedom to solve problems in creative ways Freedom to drive business in new directions No heavy layers of management Whole company seems engaged Food is outstanding Socialising is excellent Office is superb

Cons

Some growing pains Some people taking the perks for granted

Other Employee Reviews

1. "Amazing Company"

5.0

I have been working at Smarkets full-time

Pros

I've worked at Smarkets for over a year now and I can honestly say it's the best place I've ever worked. I particularly enjoy the trust that my peers and Management have in me and my team to get our work done and to do so at an exceptional level. Smarkets' unique management style enables employees to work in the way that fits the individual best as well. Team collaboration is a top priority but so is empowering the individual. As other people have mentioned, the transparency here is unparalleled. Not only are salaries public, but the CEO and Management truly have an open door policy. I have found this incredibly refreshing and helpful as it feels like you truly know what is going on behind the scenes. There are some pretty great perks at Smarkets as well: Amazing Chef's who create 3 unbelievably tasty meals a day Freedom to work on projects that you are interested in and in a way that works for the individual Amazing, truly talented and skilled people Gorgeous office Amazing tech Generous vacation Flat hierarchy Complete transparency etc.

Cons

This is not a con for me, but for some, the flat hierarchy will not suit them. I find it refreshing to work with people who want to create an amazing product, rather than climb the political ladder.

"Shambles"

1.0
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at Smarkets full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Interesting work if you like sports gambling and/or finance - Broad tech stack to learn from - Great individual contributors - Chances to travel to other offices around the world

Cons

Working for the Smarkets CEO is one of your best chances to experience what it would be like to work for Donald Trump except the Smarkets CEO doesn't have the ability to negotiate or sell anything. For example he offers employees who would like to work from home, the opportunity to work less hours and get paid less instead. He is the epitome of a narcissist, he has opinions about everything, but knowledge about none of it. The people inside the company who will defend him are classic bootlickers, and placate him at every turn. The flat structure doesn't serve you, the common employee like you might think. It actually gives you less defense against the CEO's micromanagement, outbursts and outright bullying. All the managers leave after a year or two because the CEO is impossible to deal with. Most employees I know at Smarkets make their top priority at work avoiding the CEO at all costs. And like another reviewer mentioned, you can only avoid him for so long before you are on his radar. At which point you get to engage in the CEOs favorite activity, public shaming.

Continue reading

Discover more reviews about Smarkets.