"I am truly happy for the first time in my career"

5.0
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in London, England

I have been working at Smarkets full-time for less than a year

Pros

We have a culture of being yourself at work that we call 'wholeness'. For me this is very important as I feel much happier and more creative at work. I can spend my efforts on delivering the best work rather than keeping up appearances in order to fit in to an image that is expected of me, like one would in a bank or a bigger company. We also have a self-management policy at Smarkets. This means that you can structure your time and your working style in order to be the best that you can be. As long as one seeks advice from peers, one can make any kind of decision. This is such a creative way to work and the days seem to flow so much easier than in my experience at a previous job, where many stipulations were built into my schedule by a manager. My work feels very entrepreneurial and I have been given the freedom to get involved in all of the parts of the business that I am interested in, such as infrastructure and even recruitment. You will be expected to take on a lot when you join your team and the learning curve is steep but once you get into the workflow, it's fantastic. For my team we run our systems on AWS infrastructure with Cloudflare and we have a nice set of tests and linting going. Our continuous integration and shipping process is very fast and I ship almost every day, several times a day. We have set up monitoring with Graylog, OpsGenie and Sentry, which is fantastic for peace of mind. Different teams vary but the overall standard of engineering is very high and there is a lot to learn from observing the practices of others here.

Cons

I really don't have much to say here. Everyone is very empowered at Smarkets, so if there is a con then we should (and do) just fix it. For example, my team had concerns about the lack of tests for a part of the codebase, we have now fixed that. Another example is that there have been times when I didn't see eye-to-eye with a colleague for the design of a system here. I had to try really hard to articulate my feelings and logic and in the end we reached a compromise on how to build it. These discussions are very important and I find them better in the long-run than management imposing some solution that people accept with a passive aggression that leads to unhappiness and complaining. A key point here though is that you need to be comfortable with communicating your ideas and being assertive where necessary and being flexible to feedback and accepting your mistakes in other cases.

Continue reading

Other Employee Reviews

1. "Amazing Company"

5.0

I have been working at Smarkets full-time

Pros

I've worked at Smarkets for over a year now and I can honestly say it's the best place I've ever worked. I particularly enjoy the trust that my peers and Management have in me and my team to get our work done and to do so at an exceptional level. Smarkets' unique management style enables employees to work in the way that fits the individual best as well. Team collaboration is a top priority but so is empowering the individual. As other people have mentioned, the transparency here is unparalleled. Not only are salaries public, but the CEO and Management truly have an open door policy. I have found this incredibly refreshing and helpful as it feels like you truly know what is going on behind the scenes. There are some pretty great perks at Smarkets as well: Amazing Chef's who create 3 unbelievably tasty meals a day Freedom to work on projects that you are interested in and in a way that works for the individual Amazing, truly talented and skilled people Gorgeous office Amazing tech Generous vacation Flat hierarchy Complete transparency etc.

Cons

This is not a con for me, but for some, the flat hierarchy will not suit them. I find it refreshing to work with people who want to create an amazing product, rather than climb the political ladder.

"Shambles"

1.0
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at Smarkets full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Interesting work if you like sports gambling and/or finance - Broad tech stack to learn from - Great individual contributors - Chances to travel to other offices around the world

Cons

Working for the Smarkets CEO is one of your best chances to experience what it would be like to work for Donald Trump except the Smarkets CEO doesn't have the ability to negotiate or sell anything. For example he offers employees who would like to work from home, the opportunity to work less hours and get paid less instead. He is the epitome of a narcissist, he has opinions about everything, but knowledge about none of it. The people inside the company who will defend him are classic bootlickers, and placate him at every turn. The flat structure doesn't serve you, the common employee like you might think. It actually gives you less defense against the CEO's micromanagement, outbursts and outright bullying. All the managers leave after a year or two because the CEO is impossible to deal with. Most employees I know at Smarkets make their top priority at work avoiding the CEO at all costs. And like another reviewer mentioned, you can only avoid him for so long before you are on his radar. At which point you get to engage in the CEOs favorite activity, public shaming.

Continue reading

Discover more reviews about Smarkets.