1. "Amazing job"

5.0
    Current Employee - Senior Photographer

I have been working at The Ship's Photographer full-time for less than a year

Pros

Learn everyday Meet new people Make new friends Travel Free accommodation Free meals What's not to love If you have a good team it makes life a whole lot better onboard. As long as you have a good team this jobs a dream. Because remember you will be working with these people like 10 hours a day and then after work if you want nat a social life.

Cons

Room sharing Can be long hours Management onboard can be confusing as they change frequently. Being away so long from home

April 21, 2020Managing Director

Thank you for the review. Yes, there are many great pros in working on a cruise ship. There is a big cultural melting pot where you live and work alongside people that you wouldn't have necessarily encountered in other lines of work. It's the diversity of nationalities, cultures and personalities that ensures life long friends are made from across the globe while working on board. It's true that sharing a small cabin with someone you've never met before can be a challenge for some people. However, there's not much time spent in the cabin as ship's are social environments with great facilities and when in port it's better to be out and about exploring and photographing the amazing destinations visited. I think we can all appreciate that even more during this period of lock down and restricted travel. One of the unique aspects of working on board is the Tour of Duty, where you live and work on board for six to eight months and then take all your weekends at once as a period of leave off the ship. This means our rotations planning has to be constantly looking at who will cover or replace the incumbent manager on board. Naturally this does lead to changes. We try and standardise as best we can but different managers will always have different personalities and ways of working. I'm concerned that your advice to management is about how to treat others and give respect. It's important to me that these two core attributes are something that goes without saying across the company. If you have any specific comments you would like to raise, please use the contact details in our open door policy to speak to either the HR manager or the appropriate line manager.

Other Employee Reviews

1. COVID-19

"Fantastic opportunity for travel and to make a passion, your career"

4.0
    Current Employee - Photographer in Halifax, England

I have been working at The Ship's Photographer full-time

Pros

Supportive team and great opportunities to develop portrait skills, especially with flash and studio equipment. While some of the work is slightly formulaic to meet guests expectations, you are encouraged to be as creative as you can in private shoots. Also, most days in port can be spent onshore which is a massive bonus.

Cons

The schedule doesn't allow for full days off but this doesn't really matter when you can spend most of so many days exploring new places. There is a lot of emphasis on selling and targets which I wasn't really prepared for (but in the tourist industry I'm not sure what I expected)

May 6, 2020Managing Director

Thank you for the review. Thank you for pointing out about the sales and targets that are a key part of the job. We get to take a lot of photographs on board, but probably spend more time in the Photo Gallery selling the images or around the ship obtaining bookings for private photo shoots. With the information about joining a ship we know there is so much to take in. It's not just a new job, but also a completely new lifestyle in a completely different environment. It's difficult to illustrate just how different it is. There's certainly a lot of detail to pass on about everything that needs to be arranged as well. There are travel visas and documents, understanding what ship life is like and also explaining what the day to day is like with the job. We update our documentation every few years and go out to the teams on board to ask what they feel can be improved on so that we can in turn update our joining information.

2. "Happy Overall"

4.0
    Current Contractor - Photographer in Ciudad de México

I have been working at The Ship's Photographer for more than a year

Pros

You show you care, they listen and let you collaborate with TSP, That is great! Also on difficult times like this, TSP showed care and support to the other colleagues onboard. Makes You feel in a safe place. At least to me...

Cons

Not many variety on back grounds, we regularly take photos of the same but with different name. You have to pay your flight ticket back to your home town.

April 29, 2020Managing Director

Thank you for the review. The photography market is changing rapidly, especially for event and portrait products. We've begun a transition away from the traditional cruise ship model based primarily on event photography and with the challenges of Covid-19 will accelerate this change, when the ships resume service. As part of this, the development of more interactive portraits is one of the areas we are developing to ensure both as much variety as possible for our customers as well as to keep the job interesting for our team members.

Discover more reviews about The Ship's Photographer.