Thomas Sanderson - Took a lot of hard work to make it pay anything half decent | Glassdoor.co.uk

There are newer employer reviews for Thomas Sanderson

"Took a lot of hard work to make it pay anything half decent"

Former Contractor - Designer in Newcastle, England
Former Contractor - Designer in Newcastle, England

I worked at Thomas Sanderson as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

The products are some of the best on the market and loved by most people although similar products are available from an increasing number of other sources for a lot less money, something you are not told. The commission you earn is paid very promptly but mistakes often occurred which I had to chase or I would lose considerable amounts of money.
The training is very good but you are not told everything quite as it is in practice. There was a lot of support when the team was stable but there was a lot of manager churn. I met some lovely people which I will miss now I have moved on. Despite the short time scales, the area manager was always committed to you and the appointments involved travel within a sensible geographical area

Cons

I was recruited for my honesty and professionalism and then expected to adopt sales practices that were deceptive. I was encouraged to generate my own business which I did in abundance at substantial time (60-70 hour weeks) and financial cost (equipment and shows) to myself but found disinterest and resistance from the company both it actually tooling me to do this side of the work and in working with the own business leads generated. Sadly I found to my cost that they were more interested in calling me to pester me to cover extra company leads than appointing the ones I generated.
The pricing tools were clunky and inflexible and made the appointment in front of the customer unnecessarily hard work and hindrance to closing the sale. The pricing was very high and therefore most sales were routinely with large promotions and high discounts to present anything but an embarrassingly high cost which left almost no commission for me on jobs I had put hours of work into. Promotions changed often and sometime were hard or even impossible to find on the pricing tools.

Advice to Management

You need to get to the bottom of the reasons for high turnover of designers which must be very costly for the company? Despite winning a number of prizes I moved onto something else primarily because of the following reasons...
1. "it is always assumed in the first instance when something doesn't add up that it is the designer's fault" - customer's seemed to be believed before a designer
2. the attitude to the designer is not good - being constantly referred to as "Designer" or even "des" makes you feel like a number at best. I also disliked customers being referred to as Mr or Mrs.
3. Calls/queries always seemed to be directed at me on my day off or while I was in appointments that are clearly on the diary and then people wonder why I do not answer or respond immediately!
4. If you recruit me for my honesty and integrity do not expect me to follow mandatory procedures that are not honest in front of the customer! I intend to keep my integrity thanks very much.
5. When I have invested a lot of time and money in generating own business and been successful in doing so, please do not treat it as unimportant
6. When I don't secure a sale in the allocated maximum 3 day period and with the limited discount available to me please don't say I didn't sell it and take away all my commission. I drove there and worked hard winning the customer over for 2 hours or more - so when someone calls with a heavily discounted price a week later and sells it - remember it was actually me that sold to the customer!

Finally - designers desperately need a work life balance - not knowing till 9.00 or even sometimes 10.00 at night which slots you are working the next day 5-7 days a week and driving and facing all kinds of customer in all weathers is a very tough call - try it sometime!

Other Employee Reviews for Thomas Sanderson

1. "Loved this company"

Former Employee - SALES DESIGNER in Sandbach, England
    Former Employee - SALES DESIGNER in Sandbach, England

I worked at Thomas Sanderson full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fabulous Training and support, regular meetings, amazing incentives and really generous commission structure. Products easy to sell as they are the best I have ever seen and my customers loved them

Cons

I didn't want to leave but personal circumstances said I had too. I know the door is open and cannot wait to go back : )

"Not what you're told in training."

Current Employee - SALES DESIGNER in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - SALES DESIGNER in Manchester, England

I have been working at Thomas Sanderson full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of free time (too much), if you get a lucky sale from a customer with money to burn you'll get a decent wedge from it. Training bonus for 7 weeks is rather good, but believe me you'll need this and you'll panic after week 7.

Cons

Unsociable hours, hardly any appointments, overpriced products which 95% of people cannot afford, you will be embarrassed every single time you present a price to the customer. You are told you'll get 10-15 appointments per week, I'm lucky to get 4, some weeks I've had 1 or 2 and my diary is completely open 7 days a week all 3 slots, product is hard to sell as is way beyond what other companies charge and you have to discount so much that you'll end up with nothing, to get your RPA monthly bonus you need to have had 20 appointments in the month, only one of my training colleagues managed this. Lots of wasted time with terrible appointments. Unless you have a very well thought out own business plan it will be a waste of your time, and remember you're selling £1000's of products so own business is not easy to generate for anyone. You have to attend regular meetings which could be well over an hour away. Very high turnover of staff (there's reasons for this). Overall very disappointed. Also to add on 2/3 occasions I've been underpaid. There's 2/7 left from my training group, everyone was in high spirits in our training, most of which have left the company within first 2 months. I think mainly my dissatisfaction mainly revolves around not getting my 5 appointments per week, getting 2/3 per week will unlikely get you any commission, and if you sell at 40/50% discount and it "goes towards your RPA", I won't get an RPA bonus anyway because I hadn't reached 20 appointments... therefore without own business sales you'll be earning next to nothing after week 7.

Advice to Management

Well..