TransferWise - Love working at TransferWise | Glassdoor.co.uk
Pros
Cons
  • "The "autonomous teams" has its downfalls too - mainly the communication between teams during different projects" (in 18 reviews)

• "Cross-team communication can be a challenge with autonomous teams" (in 6 reviews)

Employee Review

Employee Review

Featured Review

"Love working at TransferWise"

Current Employee - Anonymous in London, England
Current Employee - Anonymous in London, England

I have been working at TransferWise full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great working environment, strong corporate culture and super smart and passionate people
- Very strong mission and customer focus
- I am a happy customer myself, which makes working here even better
- Super exciting hyper-growth, a lot of new people joining all the time
- I definitely develop and I get all the support I need
- TransferWise encourages business travel to other offices

Cons

- Some growing pains like limited office space, but everyone is making the best out of it until the office is expanded
- Autonomous teams aren't always the best way to work, some leadership would to good

Advice to Management

Some more leadership would be great and help a lot of teams

Other Employee Reviews

Other Employee Reviews

"Amazing company with lots of potential"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at TransferWise full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The reason I joined was that the mission resonated. I was fed up with banks charging me high fees and the transaction taking up to 5 days. We really are focused on this mission and we have great values that underpin this. I love the autonomy teams have and the forward thinking 'problem solving' mindset. There are lots of great perks... An all company paid trip, healthcare, local discounts, gym, yoga, and lunches to name a few. But, the flexibility and immediate trust is what i like the most.

Cons

I can't think of any at this stage.

Advice to Management

Keep focused on autonomous teams

"Nice work environment but issues with scaling it"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in London, England
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in London, England

I worked at TransferWise full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are a lot of opportunities to grow and learn, especially if you are rather early in your career, as you are not really stuck in a role and specific tasks but can easily spend some time on anything which is useful for the company.

Teams are mostly small, cross functional (except for some aspect like infra) and independent in how they operate.

On top of teams being independent people are rather free about where/when/how they work as long as it is not abused too much and they deliver (remote working, working from home).

If you spend more time than average working in a productive way it will be acknowledged and rewarded.

Cons

Weak leadership of the company and management overall. Leads have mostly ended up there based on time in the company rather than leading skills.

Lack of coordination and alignment between the independent teams which reinforce a work in silos and creates confusion around the big picture.

It is time to acknowledge that TransferWise is not a startup anymore even if it has managed to keep a lot of nice stuff from that and put in place efficient structures and processes for the scale it operates at nowadays.

Some can abuse the independence and freedom mentioned in the bad points with very little control on it which can be frustrating for people playing fair game.

The leadership team of the company tends to micromanage or even bypass teams when things are not going in the direction they have in mind, while the root causes of lack of inspiration and alignment from them to the rest of the company doesn't seem to be much addressed.

Discover more reviews about TransferWise.