"Stable work but not family friendly"

Former Employee - Research Physical Scientist in Washington, DC
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at US Naval Research Laboratory full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The work is very stable and it's easy to make a career here. It's not uncommon to meet scientists who have been working on the same research for 30+ years. A lot of scientists here are from ivy league schools with impressive pedigrees and dozens of publications in top tier journals. My coworkers and Section Head were fantastic and I loved being surrounded by intelligent people. Despite the dilapidated buildings, there is some state-of-the-art technology to help with your research. The majority of research groups have base funding and don't have to constantly beg for money. My experience here added enough to my resume that I was able to accept a job offering DOUBLE my current pay. Even having the words "Naval Research Lab" on your resume gets you a lot of attention.

Cons

With all the good said, I have to focus on the fact that I don't find the NRL to be family friendly at all. There is no parental leave, child care through JBAB has a 2+ year waiting list, and while schedules are largely flexible, my Division Head looked at me like I had two heads when I told him I have to leave by 3 to pick up my daughter from the bus stop. Many people here don't even have families and, as a result, don't understand when you need a day off here or there due to school closings and child care hiccups. I understand that a career in research isn't family friendly to begin with, as taking any kind of extended leave ruins research timelines and screws any collaborators, but the NRL doesn't even try to mitigate this inherent obstacle. I was on the waiting list for a raise for almost 3 years before I decided to look for new employment. I just didn't feel like there was enough opportunity for advancement or broadening my area of research, and that the management didn't understand that there's more to life than conducting research. Looking back on my career, the lack of advancement and stagnated pay make me feel like I was taken advantage of. I wish I had looked for employment elsewhere sooner. It is a shame that these failings make it so appealing to leave an otherwise amazing laboratory.

Continue reading
  1. "Great place to learn"

5.0
    Former Intern - Intern in Stennis Space Center, MS

I worked at US Naval Research Laboratory for less than a year

Pros

Usually there are multiple projects going at the same time, so there are endless learning possibilities for student interns.

Cons

The hiring process was very slow, which I was informed is typical for the federal government.

2. "Good place to be while in graduate school. Move on after that."

4.0
    Former Employee - Computer Science Student Trainee in Washington, DC

I worked at US Naval Research Laboratory full-time

Pros

Received a wide variety of experiences in a short amount of time, paid for my graduate school.

Cons

Difficult to get promotions. People tend to stick around a long time.

Discover more reviews about US Naval Research Laboratory.