Employee Review

Current Intern, more than 3 years

Great Work Environment, Slow Pace, Low Pay

Apr 12, 2021 - Engineering Intern
    Business Outlook

Pros

Working at the NRL has been excellent in many respects, especially as an intern. The breadth and depth of the work I am able to do is incredible, and I have a wide pool of extremely knowledgeable engineers to get help from when needed. The resources available to us are insane, as we operate on a military budget, and the work we're doing is exciting. I get a great deal of independence, occasionally taking on entire projects myself, but I typically work on smaller projects designed to improve the work efficiency for the more experienced (and therefore expensive) engineers. The work life balance is excellent. 40 hours a week, absolutely 0 expectation of extra work outside this. Extremely kind with vacation/sick days, not as cutthroat as private defense work.

Cons

While the work I do is often exciting and I usually have a great support network, that is not always the case. Being government work, things sometimes move incredibly slowly. I spent way too long struggling to get through red tape my first year there. Similarly, I spend a substantial amount of time trying to navigate the security systems and trainings required as a result of classified work. Finally, sometimes the independence granted to me as an intern is too much, and my requests for help are occasionally met with "just read a textbook." On one hand it is great to be paid to read/learn, but it also would be nice if I could get a bit more support on things when I'm thrown into the deep end as a student with little experience. Finally, the pay leaves much to be desired. This may not be the case for everyone, but I have received no substantial pay increases outside of inflation raises since I began working multiple years ago, despite frequent praise from my supervisors. Having friends that are students in similar positions making more than double my hourly pay is disheartening.

Continue reading
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Amazing

Mar 28, 2022 - Finance in Washington, DC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Work life balance, and irk from home, employees

Cons

I don’t know if any

2. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Good place.

May 6, 2022 - Research Physicist in Monterey, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Not a bad place to work.

Cons

Not a lot of upward mobility. Older work force. Lots of retirement or leaving.

Be the first to find this review helpful

Discover more reviews about US Naval Research Laboratory.