"Gone downhill as of late"

United Kingdom in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I have been working at University of Newcastle (UK)

Pros

Good support for research grants, medium-sized institution, cost of living in the area is quite low, uni is in the centre of town and therefore easy to get to

Cons

The uni used to be quite gentile and pleasant, but is now becoming ever more like a panopticon, and there is mounting pressure on staff to generate research income. Stingy with salaries. Dedicated to raising performance in rankings, hence everything gets skewed toward that goal. Hard to get internal promotion to top level (personal chair).

Continue reading

"Depends on where you work"

4.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Guilderland, NY

I worked at University of Newcastle (UK) full-time for more than a year

Pros

Excellent holiday time, closure between Christmas and New Year, tuition perks, pension, lots of cross-university interaction, interaction with students.

Cons

I think it really depends on where you work--my unit in particular we were not treated the same as other units in our larger directorate--more supervision, less autonomy. My work-life balance was skewed very work-heavy, and ultimately is why I left the university.I think this was more unique to the Central Services than in the different faculties and schools.

Continue reading

"Research Associate"

4.0

I have been working at University of Newcastle (UK) full-time

Pros

Russell Group Research intensive university with access to many research related resources.

Cons

The weather isn't great and there is a heavy drinking culture in Newcastle.

Discover more reviews about University of Newcastle (UK).