Utilitywise - School Mentality | Glassdoor.co.uk

"School Mentality"

I worked at Utilitywise full-time

Pros

Good for new-comers to the energy sector and a good please for a stepping-stone in your career.

Cons

The whole hierarchy of staff have a primary school mentality. The canteen is horrible and if you don't fit in with the standard of "sales people" you'll get mocked and laughed at... This never happened to myself but I saw plenty of it.

The different departments sleep around like it's a game and your reputation can get tarnished through stupid gossip.

Brendan is a puppet who side-steps questions like a typical politician. I bet he is a Tory.

Advice to Management

Don't openly talk about nights out and drugs in front of the floor you actually look after.

18 Sep 2017 – Social Media Manager

Thank you very much for your comments. We’re sorry to hear your experience at Utilitywise hasn’t been as enjoyable as it could have been. We’re really pleased to hear that you consider our business a... More

Other Employee Reviews for Utilitywise

"Utilitywise is a shambles with a bullying culture"

Former Employee - Customer Advisor in North Shields, England
    Former Employee - Customer Advisor in North Shields, England

I worked at Utilitywise full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some team mates and management are ok

Cons

Where do I start favouritism is rife along with bullying and this is from my team manager who talks about you behind your back , big deals taken off you and given to the managers pet , underhand dealings with salary increases for the favourites , the training is a joke claim to want to train non sales people then don't spend time looking after them then sacking after 3 months.
    The data is awful businesses are fed up with being rang 10 + times a day
    Management ( using the word loosely ) are incompetent lack of direction , any sniff of a potential deal try to force the contracts through without being signed by the client

Advice to Management

You all need to have experience in a management environment , learn how to speak to you staff stop with the bullying culture and favouritism

21 Sep 2017 – Social Media Manager

Thank you very much for your comments. While we’re pleased to hear that you’ve enjoyed working with some of your teammates and some members of our management team, we’re really sorry to hear about... More

"What a mess"

Current Employee - Senior Energy Consultant in Newcastle upon Tyne, England
    Current Employee - Senior Energy Consultant in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I have been working at Utilitywise full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people. Their friendly and mainly good to work with. It still can be decent. If. If you get basic management right. At the moment there are a few decent ones at team level but the next two levels, you've got major issues! And it's obvious.

Cons

Where to start
    A. The data is terrible. If you want people to sell, give them something to sell with. We've been telling you about this for years. Part of the reason people leave is that they are calling customers again and again, there's fights internally about whose client it is and favourites are given pipelines. Decent people are walking out the door in their hundreds. Sort it and you'll sell more. And if you put caps on give sales people something else to sell. It's not rocket science.
    B. Management. Not sure where to start. Put a decent person with a garbage team manager and guess what! They leave. Racism, favouritism, aggression, sexism, swearing at team manger level and then Ops Mangers weakness, ineffective, don't speak to anyone, stuck to their laptops not encouraging eye contact. Then the next level up. Director. What are you thinking? Giving people jobs who can't do the job. Telling everyone before they've even been interviewed. Old boys club. Moving people who can't do one job to another that they can't do and paying them more because they threaten to leave. Leaving a total liars in roles in which they have no respect. The whole company laughing at them and at the leaders above them. If someone consistently been lying in your team how do you think it makes you look if you are their MD?
    C. L&D. Nothing for mangers for years and you wonder why they don't know what they are supposed to do! Then they advertise a Head of role, what the hec is the existing Head of and dept doing? Who knows but to solve it why don't we pay for two?? Everyone's laughing. an extra £50/£60k for a company that's cutting money off everything and we've been told there are redundancies, other companies know it. It's laughable. That's one persons job who can do it not two who can't and the whole business knows who is getting the job and they've not interviewed for it, same as the last Ops job! And who told them! Your wee liar.
    D. Communicate! You know why people get hacked off. Because they know things are going on and you wait until last thing on a Friday to tell some of them and give the rest half a story. The rumours had already been round 10 times. Get yourselves organised. Decide on who is going where and why and what commission you might actually decide to pay (it would be great if you actually pay what you say you will), communicate the changes well in advance. IT'S BASIC.
    E. Stop changing things. Morale is the pits. All of the above and constant last minute badly planned changes cause havoc.

Advice to Management

Brendan, for the sake of the good people who are remaining in the organisation, start looking at this business, past the rubbish and the corporate twaddle you are being given and OPEN your EYES!! They're pulling the wool and you can't see past your nose.

11 Sep 2017 – Social Media Manager

Thank you very much for your comments. We’re sorry to hear that you’ve become so disillusioned during your time at Utilitywise. We’ll definitely share your comments with the relevant teams for their... More