"It's no longer "all about the people""

No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at athenahealth full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good work-life balance Interesting and compelling problems to solve Unique office space Some really great teammates and direct managers

Cons

Constant reprioritization and regoranization of departments Lack of diversity - especially in leadership. We used to have quite a few women in high leadership positions (though our ethnic diversity in leadership has never been great.) Due to mysterious firings and changing of positions, we mostly have white men in leadership positions. Could be a pro if you are a white male. New management has changed the focus from the people and the work to just the work. Some of the best humans I have ever worked with have been pushed out of the company in favor of startup bros and "fresh" people who are more concerned with making themselves look good than making their teams feel empowered and have job satisfaction. While the CEO's transparency is a pro, he has said one too many offensive things for me to respect him. He has tried to learn from his mistakes in some cases, but actions speak louder than words. All software developers get stock with their compensation while other R&D functions get none though we also build our products Bad health plan. CEO wants us to shop for our healthcare while he sails on his yacht every weekend. My PT costs $100 out of pocket if I use insurance and $50 with self pay.

Continue reading
    athenahealth2017-09-13
  1. "Great company culture and hardworking team"

5.0
    Current Employee - Human Resources Business Partner Manager in Watertown, MA

I have been working at athenahealth full-time for less than a year

Pros

I have really enjoyed my time at athena. I feel like my work makes an impact and my team is so hardworking and in it together. Everyone has the same mission in mind and I love it!

Cons

I honestly can't think of any downsides

Continue reading
    athenahealth2020-05-29
  2. "great company to work for"

4.0
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Executive in Watertown, MA

I have been working at athenahealth full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

strong culture with employee first focus great campus best in industry software w/ name brand recognition great place to start a sales career

Cons

some leadership turnover over years lack of upward mobility

athenahealth2020-05-28

Discover more reviews about athenahealth.