"Senior Manager"

Senior Manager in Watertown, MA

I have been working at athenahealth for more than 3 years

Pros

There are some pockets of truly exceptional people who are committed to the mission and a pleasure to work with. If you happen to be in one of these areas it can be incredible. The facilities are exceptional and the mission is pretty compelling.

Cons

Internal politics have really got terrible in the last year or so. Those favored few who are in the good graces of newer leadership and playing in the fun new technology do well. Pretty much everyone else is neglected. The company talks a lot less about making healthcare work as it should and a lot more about cool technology and ensuring we’re making enough for shareholders. Attrition amongst those with a lot of experience has become very high and it’s starting to take a toll. The company espouses agile principals but has implemented a very command and control process which can be soul crushing.

Continue reading

athenahealth Response

June 1, 2018Employee Engagement

Thanks for taking the time to write this. It's sad that this is your experience. Have you shared this internally? There are groups that are working really hard to provide development opportunities for athenistas, and to reduce any bias in our talent processes. And with our newly launched brand, our purpose to transform healthcare is front and center. That said, we do also try to satisfy shareholders, as any public company needs to do. We hope you'll share this feedback with the leaders in your division, so actionable change can happen. Please reach out directly if you want to continue the conversation: askathena@athenahealth.com.

1. "Fantastic place to work"

5.0
    Current Employee - Senior Manager Solution Design in Watertown, MA

I have been working at athenahealth full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Collaborative, Professional, Enthusiastic, Modern approach to healthcare

Cons

I do not have anything to add at this time.

2. "Wild Ride"

4.0
    Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in Watertown, MA
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at athenahealth full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people were and likely are still amazing across the company. The fast paced work environment was both challenging and fun, with a bit of stress thrown in. Most people had empathy so even in a fast paced stressful environment you could be yourself and handle life outside of work. Fantastic place to be yourself, whoever and whatever you are. Dog friendly was a fantastic perk, the former CEO was very intelligent and very personable to everyone which I really appreciated. He had his flaws sure, but he also knew people at all levels in the company and that doesn't happen at large public companies.

Cons

The rotating door that oversaw HR and Recruiting for a number of years was exhausting. There were a lot of politics that you had to dance around as well, not a department where your hard work would result in promotions.

Discover more reviews about athenahealth.