"A formerly good company spiraling downward"

2.0
    Former Employee - Manager in Watertown, MA

I worked at athenahealth full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Competitive Pay -Strong support of remote employees, work from home culture -Average to slightly above average benefits -No micro-management (at least not in my division) -(Formerly) mission-driven culture -Well stocked break rooms (including beer) -Generous employee appreciation events, $95 per-diem (for traveling employees) -By and large, people were treated with respect and dealt with fairly

Cons

This biggest downside to this company is that it's rapidly dissolving into a shadow of its former self. When Jonathan Bush, Todd & Ed Park, and other founding leadership ran the company, the vision a purpose of the place was downright infectious. It created a strong culture that led to innovative products and services, and made sales easier because customers were naturally attracted to the company. That all changed with the investment by Elliott, and eventual sale to Veritas/Evergreen PE firms. The sole purpose of Private Equity is to extract "unrealized value" - i.e. squeeze more money - out of an organization. The cuts came fast, with hundreds laid off in 2017, and more in 2019 (with even more to come), as well as stricter expense management, and a marked decline in employee appreciation. As a result, each department is more entrenched, focusing on survival rather than innovation (or even cooperation). What results is different cultures - some functional, some dysfunctional - within the company, many at odds with each other (to be fair, this existed to some degree before the PE vultures swooped in). Leadership was also a revolving door. C-Suite execs came and went, and corporate direction would change with them. As a result, many products and projects that cost considerable resources were regularly scrapped, and product directions changed overnight even when they neared completion. Now, with PE running things, there is a clear lack of vision and direction, beyond "make as much money for Veritas/Evergreen as possible." I think everyone recognizes the fact that they don't really understand the market, the product, or athena's unique advantages. To make matters worse, they are attempting the combine Virence (formerly GE healthcare) with athena, leading to even more infighting, culture clashes, and political maneuvering. The products also could not be any more different. Ultimately, this whole acquisition is a shame. Not just because of the budget cuts, product cancellations, or employee layoffs; what's truly sad is that what made athena unique and special is definitely gone now, and that the company that will emerge will be just another software business, with no real vision or innovation at its heart.

Continue reading
    athenahealth2019-05-14
  1. "Great company culture and hardworking team"

5.0
    Current Employee - Human Resources Business Partner Manager in Watertown, MA

I have been working at athenahealth full-time for less than a year

Pros

I have really enjoyed my time at athena. I feel like my work makes an impact and my team is so hardworking and in it together. Everyone has the same mission in mind and I love it!

Cons

I honestly can't think of any downsides

Continue reading
    athenahealth2020-05-29
  2. "great company to work for"

4.0
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Executive in Watertown, MA

I have been working at athenahealth full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

strong culture with employee first focus great campus best in industry software w/ name brand recognition great place to start a sales career

Cons

some leadership turnover over years lack of upward mobility

athenahealth2020-05-28

Discover more reviews about athenahealth.