iCracked - Fun place to work - little pay. | Glassdoor.co.uk
  1. "Fun place to work - little pay."

I have been working at iCracked full-time for more than a year

Pros

People are great. Exciting/fast environment.

Cons

No money. Work from 8 - 6

iCracked2017-02-22

Other Employee Reviews

1. "Great Place to Work"

I have been working at iCracked full-time

Pros

Smart people; Great city office; Big partnerships that keep the work new and challenging.

Cons

Too many snacks in the office.

iCracked2018-12-11

"Being an iTech is perpetual frustration."

Current Contractor - ITECH in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at iCracked for more than a year

Pros

Makes me an extra $40 occasionally. Qualifies you for wholesale pricing on iFixit (where you’ll have to go if you want parts and tools that aren’t garbage). Once you make back the entry fee it’s pure profit.

Cons

This company, from the perspective of one of their “iTechs,” is a complete Byzantine nightmare of impenetrable nonsense and blatant incompetence and laziness. When you first try to sign up, you’re given a few different contacts, none of whom reply on a timely basis and whose advice sometimes contradicts each other. Trying to get a certain tax form filled out was such a nightmare that I eventually just gave up.... Cough up the entry fee and go through the “training,” which is actually a series of YouTube videos. Now, I went into this already knowing quite a bit about phone repair, and when I took the training, there were several bits of information in the videos that were completely wrong. I picked one of my contacts out of a hat and told them this information and provided proof, and their response was a resounding “Meh.” When you’re onboarded, you’re given access to the jankiest piece of crap iOS app ever, and are expected to schedule and complete repairs with it. And when it inevitably breaks, or doesn’t do something right, you are told to go to the help section of the website, which is chock full of contradictions, old articles and dead links. You’re also not informed that the inventory system you’re going to be using is in beta and that it’s not the norm. - You have to set up your service area by manually plucking zip codes with a map that won’t let you zoom out far enough. - The in-app messaging is broken garbage. - The in-app parts store and help are actually just a Safari webview, except it constantly signs you out every time you switch back to a different part of the app so it’s basically useless. - They recently updated the app so it’s not permanently zoomed in. Except they didn’t fix the layout for a lot of the buttons and such, so now there’s a whole lot of things that don’t line up correctly. Oh, but not to fear, they have a Yammer page! It’s s useless. Try and point out an actual issue, and you’re basically told that’s it’s your fault for not working around it, or that you’re wrong. But it’s a great place to see the management spout off business buzzwords while the people complaining about actual issues are ignored or told that it’s their own fault. I suggested that a change be made in the customer-facing repair form that would prevent a lot of wasted time, and was essentially told that it’s my problem to clean up after the system’s mess. And speaking of Yammer, better hope you have a good password manager, because the main iTech account, the iTech store, the helpdesk, the gmail account you’ll need to use, and of course Yammer are all completely separate accounts. So you put aside the technology part of this technology company - how are the logistics surrounding parts and such? Well you’ll be happy to hear that they’re just as incompetently managed and communicated as everything else. At any point in time they’ll have two entirely different order chains with 6 different styles of box labels, and they may or may not send you the wrong part 3 times. What kind of labeling you are responsible for putting on the box changes every other week and depends on which style of those box labels Fate has decided to grant upon you. And how are the parts? They’re garbage. All the iPhone screens are too thick and stick out the front of the phone too far, and there’s always some known issue about a certain model having bad color, failing touch panels, etc. The batteries have no brand name on them. I’ve gotten other miscellaneous parts that were nonfunctional on arrival. Here’s more just miscellaneous information: - The system does not take into account the time and location of existing dispatches when scheduling new ones, so I’ve had it schedule me for repairs that it was literally impossible for me to be on time for. - The scheduling algorithm they are so proud of creates a negative feedback loop and screws over anyone who doesn’t do this 9001 hours a week. - They give you an email address but don’t bother actually running a proper email server, so you have to set up some janky Gmail forwarding system (there’s another account you have to keep track of). - Read in between the lines when management describes how they make their ideas work and it’s apparent that their backend is a horrifying mess of janky systems patched together with dollar store duct tape and toddler snot. I could go on and I’m sure I’ll think of more after it’s too late to edit this again. Eventually, you will give up on trying to work with the company to get anything real done and instead just use it for the sake of making a few bucks on the side (after making back your entry fee) if you can work around it instead of with it. Until you get a real job or get bored.

Advice to Management

Fire whatever foreign tech farm contractors you used to create all your technical things, tear it all down, and start over. Including and especially the absolute garbage iTech app. Go over your training videos for accuracy. Dramatically streamline the onboarding process. Make changes that make iTech’s lives easier so as much of the work possible is done for them before they get a dispatch. Figure out a way to not... need 6 different accounts just to use your services. Make it much more obvious where all the iTech resources (profile page, help center, support) are. Realize that Yammer is not an acceptable substitute for a real help forum. In general, this company needs to be completely overhauled with focus on the iTech in mind. It feels more like this company exists solely so the management can be all pleased with themselves and they just slapped together whatever technical rubbish they needed to make it work for now, and the iTechs are just forced to deal with whatever slapdash idea they come up with and bolt on to everything else with Elmer’s glue. I only bother with this company anymore because I’ve still got some screens laying around and I have nothing to lose by just having the app installed with some availability when I can. The second that it costs me something (in money or in sanity) to simply exist as an iTech, I’m done.

iCracked2018-12-02

Discover more reviews about iCracked.