"Where do I begin?"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Bedford, MA (US)
Current Employee - Product Manager in Bedford, MA (US)

I have been working at iRobot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Passionate people, true desire to "make a difference" and "change the world"

Cons

Micromanagement at all levels; no cohesive sense of purpose (every man/woman/child for themselves); lost ability to innovate (just look at the latest acquisition and press surrounding it); cronyism

Advice to Management

Time to act on the poor employee survey results that are _consistently given_ an stop paying them lip service alone

Other Employee Reviews for iRobot

"Don't work here"

Former Employee - Finance in New Bedford, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Finance in New Bedford, MA (US)

I worked at iRobot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Casual atmosphere. Managers don't micro manage. Flexible work schedule. Interesting environment.

Cons

Management out of touch and don't pull their weight. Lower level employees do all the work and get no recognition. If there is an issue managers DO NOT give employee a chance to defend themselves. Don't trust fellow employees. Layoffs not based on job performance.

Advice to Management

Appreciate and reward lower level employees. Your way is not the only way. Base layoffs on job performance not connections.

"So much potential, it is invigorating but also frustrating when the magic isn't appreciated by C-level execs."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bedford, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bedford, MA (US)

I have been working at iRobot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The business of designing robots requires broad experience, and gives employees broad experience when working here. Employees can cultivate their understanding of mechanical, electrical, software, and manufacturing as applied to consumer and military robots. It is not a boring place to work.

Cons

Suprisingly, there are almost never any cool robots wandering the halls.

Advice to Management

The magic of Roomba and Packbot is partially due to the accidental nature of the success. Many of the conference rooms are named with a "failed" robot. Let's regain the enthusiasm we had and build some more failures. At worst we will get some more conference room names, and it's a great way to stumble upon next big thing. Bonus is that employees will want to get out of bed in the morning to participate.