phs Group - Leaving PHS after 4 interesting years. | Glassdoor.co.uk
Pros
  • "well established company, great people, great products, free lunch, dress down Fridays" (in 7 reviews)

• "Great people, good leadership who care about making a positive change for our Customers" (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "Terrible Service - Terrible Customer Service and Terrible Managers" (in 4 reviews)

• "head office a little cramped & short on parking" (in 3 reviews)

Employee Review

Employee Review

"Leaving PHS after 4 interesting years."

Former Employee - Head of Production in Tamworth, England
Former Employee - Head of Production in Tamworth, England

I worked at phs Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I joined PHS in 2014 and have enjoyed my time with the organisation.

For me, the biggest Pro's of working for PHS Greenleaf have been....

The great colleagues I've worked with over the past 4 years. There are people in this company who for some its more than just a job.

There is a lot of care and determination for the future of this business. They have invested a lot of time and sweat in the past. Be their motivations the products, the customers they serve, their colleagues.

It is very rewarding to hear people (staff and customers) talk passionately about our products. Greenleaf's offerings are created more for their aesthetics than functionality as with PHS other divisions. We are in an industry where the margins are fine, so balancing up beauty and creativity with the economic demands has been an important part of my job, to give our customers value for money, whilst returning a profit.

The levels of support open to us. Be that help from HR, Accounts, IT, HSE, Transport or Procurement. Working in a large organisation there are many experts to go to when you need to.

On a personal note, I have always enjoyed problem solving. Barely does a day pass where I don't receive an email or phone call looking for a solution or a compromise to an issue. I hope in most cases they've been achieved.

Cons

Industry knowledge is essential. Horticulture for example, is a very unique business. We can't necessarily apply a model or strategy that works well for Washrooms or Teacrate and expect it work as well for Greenleaf.

Greenleaf has undergone many changes during my time. Change is important and essential, if done well. There's often apprehension and mistrust towards change, its human nature. It's important to involve people into the process and contribute to the improvement. My perception has seen this business sometimes do this well and sometimes poorly. You need the guys who deliver the result to buy in if you want any project to succeed.

Local knowledge is absolutely essential. Trusting the decisions of Service Managers and their Technicians. Wherever you sit in an organisation, its not about right or wrong opinions. Different perceptions, but all should form part of the decision making process.

A personal one, but often echoed by other management colleagues. Specialist managers being turned into generalists. Balance is required here. It is understood that there are many responsibilities outside your preferred remit. But reviewing the working week and you find significantly more time dedicated to general tasks, and less to the specialism you were brought into the business to deliver, can lead to frustration.

Advice to Management

One frustrating aspect I have observed is where management have actually had good intentions for employees, but not got the message across well. This is not an easy task. "Fresh" I have to say was an example of this. The delivery, the timing of the launch and answers to challenging questions could have been managed better. I felt for the people who delivered it, and frustrated on behalf of the audience who were receiving. It was also designed with hygiene in mind but probably lost on other personnel of other divisions.

I've been very fortunate in my career to have worked in numerous organisations in several countries and worked with many cultures, from farms in the developing world, to multi nationals with state of the art facilities. Those businesses that have performed well have respected and rewarded their staff. Those that have struggled and ultimately failed have not. There are 4 P's in marketing - all important, but People are the most.

23 Aug 2018 – Mark - phs team

Hi, thank you very much for taking the time to leave us a comprehensive review. You've raised some interesting points and we'll be sure to pass all of your comments onto the relevant departments... More

Other Employee Reviews

Other Employee Reviews

1. "All about the people"

I have been working at phs Group full-time

Pros

Great working with a good bunch of people. You spend everyday with the people you work therefore its a blessing coming to work with colleagues every day.

Cons

Some teams lack resources - would be good to employ more people.

17 Aug 2018 – Mark - phs team

Hi, thanks for taking the time to leave us a review, we appreciate your comments! You are so right, having a good bunch of people to work with everyday is really important and we are lucky to have... More

"A view from the boss - my initial impressions of phs after 4 months in the job"

Current Employee - Group Chief Executive Officer in Caerphilly, Wales
    Current Employee - Group Chief Executive Officer in Caerphilly, Wales

I have been working at phs Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing culture. Lots of people have been here their whole career

People are willing to speaking up which is a good thing....I get lots of questions and feedback (good and bad)

Great career opportunities...there is more to phs than meets the eye. Greenleaf, Teacrate, Direct365, Besafe, Compliance, Sekonten, phs Direct

Great products.....the best in the industry

Service drivers are really impressive. They know our customers better than anyone else in the company

The best service network in the UK. We look after over 240k washrooms

Our lifecycle plant provides a real green solution to customers. No other company has this

Cons

We need to improve our service delivery but we are working hard on this

We need to listen to our customers and be more customer focused. We have plans to improve this

We are improving the way we communicate with our colleagues in phs. We recently introduced a quarterly video conference where all employees can participate and ask questions. It seemed to go down well

Advice to Management

Hmmmm.....that's a bit tricky. This is a question better answered by others

There is lots to do but we have a great team and we are launching a new growth plan in September.

I would encourage all management to get out and meet customers and spend time with our front line staff regularly

6 Aug 2018 – Mark - phs team

Hi, thanks for the review, it’s great to see our newly appointed CEO engaged with Glassdoor. Pleased to see you gave us 5 stars also! But seriously, thanks for writing a balanced review with some... More

Discover more reviews about phs Group.