phs Group - Warning stay away | Glassdoor.co.uk

Employee Review

"Warning stay away"

Current Employee - Field Sales Representative
Current Employee - Field Sales Representative

I have been working at phs Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Market leaders, but now realise they have been complacent for the last 5 - 10 years and have lost a lot of their market share.

Cons

Deal with 5 to 10 customer complaints every day and every week.
Customers are all leaving PHS, due to missed services, automatic-renewal contracts and not being informed about contract end dates.
Poor Communication from senior management.
Lack of motivation or leadership.
Unhelpful support staff.
No sick pay.

4 Oct 2018 – Mark - phs team

Hi, thanks for taking the time to leave a review. We are disappointed to read your comments and have passed this information over to our management team in Sales. It's a concern that you feel... More

Other Employee Reviews

Other Employee Reviews

1. "Leaving PHS after 4 interesting years."

Former Employee - Head of Production in Tamworth, England
    Former Employee - Head of Production in Tamworth, England

I worked at phs Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I joined PHS in 2014 and have enjoyed my time with the organisation.

For me, the biggest Pro's of working for PHS Greenleaf have been....

The great colleagues I've worked with over the past 4 years. There are people in this company who for some its more than just a job.

There is a lot of care and determination for the future of this business. They have invested a lot of time and sweat in the past. Be their motivations the products, the customers they serve, their colleagues.

It is very rewarding to hear people (staff and customers) talk passionately about our products. Greenleaf's offerings are created more for their aesthetics than functionality as with PHS other divisions. We are in an industry where the margins are fine, so balancing up beauty and creativity with the economic demands has been an important part of my job, to give our customers value for money, whilst returning a profit.

The levels of support open to us. Be that help from HR, Accounts, IT, HSE, Transport or Procurement. Working in a large organisation there are many experts to go to when you need to.

On a personal note, I have always enjoyed problem solving. Barely does a day pass where I don't receive an email or phone call looking for a solution or a compromise to an issue. I hope in most cases they've been achieved.

Cons

Industry knowledge is essential. Horticulture for example, is a very unique business. We can't necessarily apply a model or strategy that works well for Washrooms or Teacrate and expect it work as well for Greenleaf.

Greenleaf has undergone many changes during my time. Change is important and essential, if done well. There's often apprehension and mistrust towards change, its human nature. It's important to involve people into the process and contribute to the improvement. My perception has seen this business sometimes do this well and sometimes poorly. You need the guys who deliver the result to buy in if you want any project to succeed.

Local knowledge is absolutely essential. Trusting the decisions of Service Managers and their Technicians. Wherever you sit in an organisation, its not about right or wrong opinions. Different perceptions, but all should form part of the decision making process.

A personal one, but often echoed by other management colleagues. Specialist managers being turned into generalists. Balance is required here. It is understood that there are many responsibilities outside your preferred remit. But reviewing the working week and you find significantly more time dedicated to general tasks, and less to the specialism you were brought into the business to deliver, can lead to frustration.

Advice to Management

One frustrating aspect I have observed is where management have actually had good intentions for employees, but not got the message across well. This is not an easy task. "Fresh" I have to say was an example of this. The delivery, the timing of the launch and answers to challenging questions could have been managed better. I felt for the people who delivered it, and frustrated on behalf of the audience who were receiving. It was also designed with hygiene in mind but probably lost on other personnel of other divisions.

I've been very fortunate in my career to have worked in numerous organisations in several countries and worked with many cultures, from farms in the developing world, to multi nationals with state of the art facilities. Those businesses that have performed well have respected and rewarded their staff. Those that have struggled and ultimately failed have not. There are 4 P's in marketing - all important, but People are the most.

23 Aug 2018 – Mark - phs team

Hi, thank you very much for taking the time to leave us a comprehensive review. You've raised some interesting points and we'll be sure to pass all of your comments onto the relevant departments... More

2. "Service Driver 10 years of Employment"

Current Employee - Service Driver
    Current Employee - Service Driver

I have been working at phs Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Friendly staff to work with, can make some good friends. Start from home so no travel to depot to load unload before day starts. No weekend work unless you want overtime.

Cons

Used to be a family orientated company to work for. Managers were approachable and would treat you as an equal not a number (can only speak for depot i work at), A lot of higher management changes over the past couple of years delivering false promises, like better pay better hours internal progression. From my personal view the front line staff are listened to enough we know the industry, the job, the areas we have covered for years and most importantly the customers we service.

Advice to Management

Maybe listen to staff more not just phase it down the chain. It does not help when we are questioned over our performance when we are expected to use a system that clearly does not work (360). One example when we started the new 360 we was asked to give details regarding our start times etc and issues like childcare would be taken into account. this did not happen getting started later and later and not finding out your start times for your next day with little notice to arrange childcare issues. At the moment can be soul destroying and questions your loyalty towards the company, Giving the attitude if they don't care why should we? Hopefully the new CEO will be better than the last few and actually listen to people who matter and turn things round and bring the PHS culture back, a good place work rewarded for the hard work we do.

3 Sep 2018 – Mark - phs team

Hi, thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. You have raised some great points and equally some in the 'Cons' section that we'll make sure get forwarded on to management. Thank you again for... More

Discover more reviews about phs Group.