1. "Great company"

5.0
    Current Employee - Area Manager in Liverpool, England, England

I have been working at wagamama full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Competitive salary, friendly environment, fresh food, diverse teams, brilliant career opportunities

Cons

Long working hours & distant travel

wagamama Response

March 30, 2020

hey there, thank you for taking the time to leave us this brilliant review! we're really happy to hear that your experience has been great so far + we wish you all the best with your future progression wagamama recruitment team :)

1. "excellence"

5.0
    • Diversity & Inclusion
    Current Employee - Manager in Salisbury, MA

I have been working at wagamama full-time

Pros

good always a please to be at work

Cons

no cons to be noted here

2. "Good food. Good Coworkers. Terrible Management."

1.0
    • Diversity & Inclusion
    Former Employee - FOH Team Member

I worked at wagamama full-time for more than a year

Pros

-the food is good and you get a shift meal including an app + drink which was really great -the coworkers are mostly great. they made the experience fun. -the locations are in nice areas

Cons

-management is the worst I’ve ever seen. lower management doesn’t even have time to do their jobs because they’re so busy serving and bussing due to severe understaffing. Upper management is so far up their own ///, will literally follow you around the store breathing down your neck if you don’t recite some ridiculously long script that changes every other week, or don’t buss a table the way they would. They don’t let skilled servers just do their job and it heavily affects your tips. -upper management takes absolutely no suggestions. despite not being on the floor and actually experiencing the issues foh/boh face, they will diminish every problem you report and belittle your complaints. Completely unsupportive of staff. -the favoritism here is gross. I’ve worked in restaurants my whole life but I’ve never seen it be this bad. They literally promote based on who they’re sleeping with that week or who laughs at their jokes or who goes to their little parties. It’s sick. -there are so many thieves. it’s a tip pooled staff but the amount of tip pocketing is insane. if you’re an honest employee expect to be working for free since supervisors and shady employees are pocketing your money. -if you work here, keep track of your hours personally. don’t trust their work portal- there were several instances in which I realized I was having hours worked arbitrarily taken off my pay. Zero concern when reported and you have to harass them to fix it. Don’t trust that you’re being paid honestly. -the work culture is toxic. Don’t believe any company that tells you you’re a family. You’re not- you’re a lowly, replaceable employee. They don’t care about you but they want you to care about them. I’ve seen several employees fired a month or so after filing complaints. Not a coincidence, they just don’t give a hoot about anyone but themselves and their bottom line. -upper management in FOH and BOH are legit creeps. I get that this is a restaurant but if managers could stop sexually harassing employees that would be awesome. -the tip pooled system is so dysfunctional. you have actual skilled employees being forced to take up to 8 tables at once because “they can handle it” while completely inexperienced people struggle to provide average service to 3 tables. The hard workers make all of the money and the poor workers profit off of it. Tip pooling only works in higher end restaurants where you can be sure that everyone is pulling their weight. Poor servers get relegated to host or takeout every shift and make the same pay as the servers who are put in the busiest sections or the bar every shift. How on earth does that make any sense? -they hire based on appearance. They really want to be seen as this young fresh queer friendly restaurant and they hire accordingly. I remember my interview had so many older folks who had incredible experience and who could have thrived at Waga, but alas I have never seen any FOH over the age of 35 working there. Oh, and you also need to be attractive. It only makes sense since both lower and upper management use unsuspecting staff as their captive dating pool.

Continue reading

Discover more reviews about wagamama.