Equal Experts Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

4.4
Equal Experts Managing Director Thomas Granier
Thomas Granier

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work life balance is actually a thing" (in 14 reviews)

• "There are lots of interesting projects with some high-profile clients and you get to learn a lot about delivering in a pretty short amount of time" (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "The only slight downside from my point of view is the location of most projects but if you're based in or around London that should not be a problem" (in 3 reviews)

• "Company is clearly showing growing pains, with standardisation (of internal processes, tools, etc" (in 3 reviews)

1. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Equal Experts full-time

Pros

Fantastic work / life balance.

Colleagues are treated equally across the network, regardless of position held.

All ideas, thoughts and suggestions for improvements are valued. Feedback is actively sought for any process changes, providing employees with the opportunity to have their input and influence on changes within the business.

You are treated as a grown up and entrusted to get the job done.

Great colleagues to work with, everyone is willing to share knowledge and help others, really positive atmosphere / team spirit.

Cons

Non that I can think of

2. "Neglectful communication"

Current Contractor - Senior Software Engineer in London, England
    Current Contractor - Senior Software Engineer in London, England

I have been working at Equal Experts as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

- A network of people with great skills
    - Comfortable interview process

Cons

My interactions with this company have had a pattern of neglect and lack of respect from day one. From the HR person completely missing my interview slot without notice, to them cancelling a project (that both sides had committed on) last minute and me having to chase them to actually learn about it, little concern has actually been given to having professional & respectful communication. I still believe intentions are good, but the execution just isn't there. Maybe there's too many people, too much to manage, I don't know. My experience has been negative.

Advice to Management

Get on top of managing the great people that you have in your network, please. Don't ignore the people that have made it through the selection process, don't over promise and communicate pertinent information as soon as possible.

3. "Previously great company compromising their values"

Former Contractor - Consultant in London, England
    Former Contractor - Consultant in London, England

I worked at Equal Experts as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Highly skilled team members and a great working culture between team members.

Great work life balance.

Interesting projects

Cons

Engagement managers' only concern is to please clients and in doing so will ignore expert's advise and micromanage.

As a consequence values mentioned on the corporate charter are no longer followed.

Teams go along with this against better judgement. No one feels empowered to speak up or push back (internally or against clients).

Inter-office politics.

Advice to Management

Show closer interest in projects. Manage senior clients better.

Either change culture to follow your (great) values or be realistic and and honest and adjust those values.

Support colleagues moving between offices. If local managers prevent that more good talent will leave.

Stop partners micromanaging teams.

4. "Experts in all aspects"

Former Contractor - Senior Java Developer in London, England
    Former Contractor - Senior Java Developer in London, England

I worked at Equal Experts as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

When you go into a contract with EE, at the client site you never feel alone. The network is so big and influential there is a huge support and drive in the teams to deliver meaningful impact. Their clients are often amazed by the quality and determination of EE teams.

Cons

There's not much cons in my opinion.

Advice to Management

To EE management I would say to keep doing what you are doing since is working great. I think EE works perfectly fine using this kind of flat management structure it has, the company it's just scaling by itself.

5. "A great place to be..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England

I have been working at Equal Experts part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great work-life balance.
    - Your opinion is actively sought and valued.
    - You have the opportunity to influence at all levels.
    - There is a real team feel - individuals respect and support each other.
    - Autonomy - you are trusted to do the right thing and to use your expertise.

Cons

Non that I can think of!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing.

6. "Interesting work / work with the best in the industry / highly autonomous"

Current Employee - Engagement Manager in Sheffield, England
    Current Employee - Engagement Manager in Sheffield, England

I have been working at Equal Experts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* Highly autonomous
    * Lots of opportunity to positively impact how and where the business grows
    * Lots of interesting client engagements, with real and interesting challenges
    * Great leadership team who get it and create a culture that enables growth
    * Working with a first class team of capable and passionate associates
    * Great company profile so great to be able to blog and speak on behalf of a respected company

Cons

Still young in many ways, but that's more of a Pro than a Con, as the leadership team work really hard to maintain the flexible culture whilst finding ways to embed foundations that enable continued long-term growth

Advice to Management

Evidently doing what's needed to grow

7. "Good solid company to work for"

Current Contractor - Senior Engineer in London, England
    Current Contractor - Senior Engineer in London, England

I have been working at Equal Experts as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

It's been a great fun ride working with EE in Central London, for one of their core projects. The team they put together was united, and even if we were contractors, never got the feeling we weren't properly taken care of and part of the team.

- Work life balance was very good, and the team was more than willing to help out and extend more patience as I was experiencing health issues.
    - Work gets done, and people do pay attention to what they do, and they care about delivery.
    - The hiring process was pretty quick, fair and efficient, and it was of reasonable technical difficulty, and more scrutiny than most places you could work for.

Cons

Technical implementations mater less than delivery. It's a natural outcome of being a consulting firm and 100% the right move to make, but it does mean that strictly from a technical standpoint it's a lot harder for a team of contractors to insure an organisation wide standardisation and quality.

It comes with the territory, but in day to day life, it will mean that certain more complex approaches are off limit, and at times I felt I had to draw a line in the sand pretty quickly when it came to proposing technically complex solutions, even if they would have been far more efficient.

It's not really a con, it's more preference based, and they do 100% do the right thing with respect to their standing and client, so it's very important to remain delivery focused and you'll have a great time.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

8. "They waited to find me the right role before I joined as an employee, it was worth the wait!"

Current Employee - Product Manager
    Current Employee - Product Manager

I have been working at Equal Experts full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Work life balance is actually a thing! I can't stress this point enough. EE recognise that people are more than work. By being able to drop kids off or get an emptier train or wait at home when they have a last minute fridge delivery mean individuals perform better at work
    - In the 3 months I've worked here, everyone I've met is a specialist in their field. It's refreshing to work with people who are passionate about what they do but also recognise when they need to lean on other people
    - Everyone is maxed but I have found that people have always made the time to help me develop skills, feel confident delivering as EE or just have a coffee to help me grow my network
    - The company lives its values and wants to be right by its client. Having worked for a large consulting firm and then a small start up it's refreshing not always be chasing the next sale.

Cons

- You make your own destiny in the network so there are elements of meeting the right people to answer certain questions
     - The autonomy and freedom does lead to inefficiencies in other areas and duplication but the company have made this conscious decision

Advice to Management

I feel like the company has been successful because of making lots of small decisions they've made in the journey. Don't loose the spirit or EE-ness as we continue to grow.

9. "Best Experience as dev"

Former Contractor - Software Engineer in London, England
    Former Contractor - Software Engineer in London, England

I worked at Equal Experts as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

I’ve worked in several projects, working with best of breed developers, BA and DL.
    Is a flat company.

Cons

I’ve worked in 5 projects, only one was not great, mainly for internal politics and, from point of view bad leadership.

Advice to Management

Keep doing that great job. Thanks for everything Ryan.

10. "Fantastic organisation with fantastic people"

Former Contractor - Scala Developer in London, England
    Former Contractor - Scala Developer in London, England

I worked at Equal Experts as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

I've really enjoyed moving from previous permanent developer roles to contract roles with Equal Experts. The key difference really is the people - the permanent EE staff and the contractors that they hire are among the most mature, friendly, and knowledgeable people that I have worked with in my tech career.

EE provide a supportive network, allowing you to focus on your professional role rather than chasing invoices, etc., and providing an ongoing contact. Even when not actively contracting, they make you feel like the door is always open once you are in the network.

Although the tech stack and restraints will vary on which client you're working for, I found fellow EE colleagues to all be knowledgeable about emerging technologies and appropriate uses of them for the client needs.

Cons

Genuinely can't think of any, really enjoyed my time working via Equal Experts and hoping to return in the future.

Advice to Management

Keep doing more of the same!