Etsy Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Found 150 reviews

3.7
Etsy CEO Josh Silverman
Josh Silverman
  1. "Dispute Investigation Agent"

Current Employee - Dispute Investigation Agent in Hudson, NY

I have been working at Etsy full-time for more than a year

Pros

People, culture, benefits are great.

Cons

Hard to come up with cons-- things are on the up and up

Etsy2018-06-22
  2. "Great Place to Work!"

I have been working at Etsy full-time

Pros

Tremendous culture of performance and collegiality - it's a wonderful place to work and unlike anywhere I've ever been. The warmth here and the passion for what we do makes it a joy to come to work everyday.

Cons

I do not have any at this time.

Etsy2018-06-22

"Great company, great comeback, still a few things to work out."

I have been working at Etsy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Amazing culture. Supportive, positive atmosphere. Massively talented and passionate employees. Great perks, good pay.

Cons

Too many meetings, too much formal feedback too frequently. Health, 401k, and vacation time are average.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work. Scale back a bit of the goal setting and feedback to a manageable cadence. It's a positive process, just too frequent.

Etsy2018-06-08

"Clueless, Hopeless, Soon to Perish"

I have been working at Etsy full-time

Pros

Useless bells and whistles in the office space. The only good thing anyone internally has ever had to say about that company.

Cons

Big shots with little skills, nepotism, fresh from undergrad in senior levels, incompetence, bleak business outlook and lack of senior direction, people stay around long enough that they're promoted without actually doing anything and recruiters work from home every day so it's a self-fulfilling cycle where talent can't come in and poor talent retains

Advice to Management

Fire the other 1/2 of the workforce. Then figure out how to actually turn some profit without doing that.

Etsy2018-05-22

"Disappointed"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Etsy

Pros

-Interesting products and challenges -Cozy office space -Unlimited sick day

Cons

- Work/life balance is poor. I am stuck in so many useless meetings that the only time I do actual work is on my "lunch break” (when 12-1 or 1-2 isn’t booked or double booked with even more meetings on my calendar) or evenings/weekends. -However, I’m an afterthought for meetings that actually would be helpful for me, but I’m not invited to them. Then I’m berated for not knowing something that was discussed in those...

Advice to Management

If people you just hired are already planning on leaving, that is a terrible sign. It's time to roll up your sleeves and do the difficult work of figuring out why your company is such a train wreck. Remove incompetent people, improve collaboration and communication, and stop working everyone to the bone.

Etsy2018-03-15

"Bring your full self; Everybody is helpful"

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Etsy full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I've worked at Etsy for over 5 years and 2 things that are still 100% true is that Etsy is a company where you can bring your full self to work and everybody who works there goes out of their way to be helpful. We have always strived to be a welcoming place full of diverse people and ideas. The thing I appreciate about the new executive leadership is that that is still true and we're getting better at being more transparent...

Cons

Planning, coordination, and prioritization continue to be areas that are undefined by Etsy's established culture and practices. This often can feel like chaos. As mentioned in the Pros section, everybody who works there truly cares about the company and their projects and strives to be helpful, but there can still be a lot of friction and overhead when it comes to resolving project conflicts (deadlines, staffing, etc)....

Advice to Management

Continue to improve the guiding strategy such that it can be more actionable for prioritization (as mentioned in the Cons). Continue to work to add company-wide coordination and planning as a first-class aspect of Etsy culture and know-how.

Etsy2018-03-25

"Questionable management practices"

Former Employee - Network Engineer in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Etsy full-time

Pros

Decent pay. Great benefits. New CEO seems like he knows what he's doing.

Cons

Poor communication from director level management. Lots of turnover in all levels of management. Unable to keep good people because of a tendency to favor culture over skill level. Infrastructure and approach is about 10 years behind. Management seemed to have a lack of experience and/or training.

Advice to Management

Training and maybe try to hire less Google people. They're pretentious and tend to look down on anyone who doesn't fit the coder lifestyle. You don't have to be a software engineer for jobs that don't involve software engineering.

Etsy2018-03-19

"Sadly not putting people first anymore"

I worked at Etsy full-time for more than a year

Pros

It was a fun, friendly place to work

Cons

They're not putting money first and employees second

Etsy2018-03-10
  9. "Wow, I am impressed!"

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Etsy full-time for less than a year

Pros

What a great place to work! Family nature, great work to do, caring people & teams, fun work to do and fun atmosphere. I expected to land in a new job that I would love after my great interview experience with the team; but, that was surpassed. I am very happy to be here!

Cons

No much, maybe that I would like move coffee on my floor :)

Advice to Management

Keep up great interaction work, we love it - we also want to continue to know where we are headed as a company.

Etsy2018-03-05
  10. "Great Place to Work"

No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Etsy full-time

Pros

Etsy was a fun place to work. The culture of the marketplace is evident in the culture of the people who work there. The office in Brooklyn is amazing, and the satellite offices also have a charm of their own. The technical culture is well developed and there were usually a good number of senior engineers to learn from when I was there.

Cons

Like any public company, there can be some turmoil based around earnings reports and shifting goals / expectations.

Advice to Management

Make sure the culture remains intact even as earnings seem more and more important.

Etsy2018-03-05