Find jobs for Senior Software Engineer

Josh Silverman
  1. "Pretty great"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Etsy full-time

Pros

Etsy's pretty great to work at

Cons

In brooklyn, can be interesting to commute to

Etsy2020-05-14

"Excellent Place to Work"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at Etsy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Awesome people, great benefits, fun atmosphere.

Cons

Stagnant work and vision. Will be interesting to see what the future holds.

Etsy2019-04-01

"Great place to work where they put employees first"

4.0
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Etsy full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Awesome office environment & every body I worked with was incredibly smart & capable in their roles.

Cons

The cult of Etsy could become a little overwhelming in terms of the social office atmosphere.

Etsy2019-04-05

"A company that seems warm to the touch, yet is cold and out of touch"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Remote, OR

I worked at Etsy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great compensation, generous RSU packages. Remote work. Amazing corporate culture and fun people to work with.

Cons

Hire & Fire company. I worked for Etsy for 1 year, 1 week and 1 day. My management changed and the new manager never liked me. I had a mostly ok review and then one day I found out I didn't work there any more.

Etsy2018-11-25

"Enjoying Every Single Day"

I have been working at Etsy full-time for less than a year

Pros

By far the best part of working here is the people that you see every day. Etsy has some of the kindest, smartest, and most diligent employees that I've had the opportunity to work with. I don't feel like I'm competing with my coworkers, but rather that we're working towards a common goal, and supporting each other along the way. There is a wide surface of technical challenges and products to work on, and everything is making progress at a fast pace. We have a culture of sharing knowledge, so if you have a question, you can approach anyone in the company (a bit of a double-edged sword). Compensation and benefits are pretty good. While not top-tier, I feel that I was made a very respectable offer coming in, and they give generous raises and bonuses according to your performance. The benefits are pretty good (401K, health, dental, life, a bunch of extras).

Cons

Some of the technology is a bit dated, and there's a (responsible and well-intentioned) conservatism about modernizing tools and infrastructure. We are making progress on this. The open-office layout is not good at all for concentration. There are a ton of distractions, ESPECIALLY slack. Some restructuring has caused gaps in coverage of legacy systems. This should be addressed. It's been pretty hard to get extra hardware for testing or development, hopefully that issue goes away soon.

Etsy2018-08-21

"Depends a lot on the team you're on"

I have been working at Etsy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Etsy measures progress using good business metrics. Focus on GMS over revenue. Our sellers win when we win Working on an ambulance project was the most rewarding thing I've done at Etsy to date regardless of the circumstances Many solid career opportunities in the wake of all the departures

Cons

Retention is a major problem because retention is a major problem. People don't even respond to some of the goodbye emails anymore Dysfunctional "nobody's saying yes or no" decision-making is slowly coming back

Etsy2017-12-11

"Why I love Etsy"

Senior Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Etsy for less than a year

Pros

Very positive remote culture Excellent benefits Stock bonuses for most employees Great onboarding

Cons

Very hard to get hired.

Etsy2017-11-13

"Nice people, great perks, surprisingly frustrating engineering organization"

No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Etsy full-time for less than a year

Pros

The mission of the company/product is great, and it's delightful to see how being a values-driven business does permeate all levels of Etsy culture. From the local snacks in the kitchenettes to the way meetings are carried, Etsy is a company that walks the walk when they talk about being driven by a mission of empowering small local creators. Related to this is a great work/life balance. Etsy's a pretty cushy job.

Cons

On the engineering/product side of things, there's a pervasive fear of change at an institutional level means that anything that would improve the codebase or engineering process is a hard to impossible sell. Major "not invented here" syndrome means that engineers spend a lot of their time dealing with problems that are completely abstracted away in other similar engineering organizations because everyone's building on top of overengineered in-house tooling.

Etsy2017-03-27
  9. "Senior Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Etsy full-time

Pros

Great work culture, great work life balance. Dynamic work environment, folks are very helpful and open about their personal life - welcome change from a corporaty culture.

Cons

Very new to the company, so far none!

Etsy2016-10-05

"Help people build small businesses"

I have been working at Etsy full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

You get to do work that is actually beneficial to people. The company culture is pretty good and the work is really interesting.

Cons

The career advancement track is shrouded in mystery and there seems to be a disconnect between Snr. Management and the work that's actually happening.

Etsy2014-04-02