Etsy Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Sep 2, 2020

Found 21 of over 269 reviews

4.4
Etsy CEO Josh Silverman
Josh Silverman
Pros
  • "Teams, culture, flexibility, technology work/life balance(in 14 reviews)

• "Great people, beautiful offices (when we could go to them)(in 10 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Work Life Balance is a must here(in 9 reviews)

• "High Sellers costs for any shop bringing in 20K or more(in 8 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

What people are saying about Etsy

Join the conversation on
    Join the conversation on

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee

Real Tech Real Innovation Fashion Forward Styling and Sustainability

Sep 2, 2020 - Founder in Detroit, MI
      Business Outlook

Pros

Concentration on advancing real tech and innovation plus a core extensive background of styling and fashion design Fantastic Core Values and Beliefs define us

Cons

Work Life Balance is a must here Family and individual needs are always the first things to get prioritize Slow and Steady Wins the Race

1 person found this review helpful
    2. 5.0
      Current Intern

Friendly, happy place to work!

Jul 27, 2020 - Software Engineer() in Brooklyn, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Really positive growth culture - Friendly, non-competitive teammates who are always happy to help - Realistic expectations from managers - Lots of company-wide holidays - Wonderful work-life balance

Cons

- On-boarding can be difficult if you start while the company is working from home

Be the first to find this review helpful
    3. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great company to work for, culture of collaboration, forward thinking mentality

Jul 30, 2019 - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

The leadership org is cognizant of of pain points and actively seeks to improve There is a cohesive culture where it feels most everyone believes in the mission to humanize eCommerce I have noticed that if you are honest about your career trajectory, management will give you a roadmap Great work life balance

Cons

Some roles could use a more defined scope. If you are interviewing for a role here, make sure that you ask about your first 30/60/90 days and what success looks like for that time period.

17 people found this review helpful
    4. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Fast paced, but extremely supportive and innovative

Jul 12, 2019 - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Working at Etsy has been a great experience for the last 3 years. It's been up and down, but in a good way. We definitely move fast, and are constantly changing and pivoting but in this industry it is paramount that we are continuously iterating on our roadmap to stay competitive. We celebrate wins, we are inclusive, we care about the environment and about our social and economic impact. Etsy really cares about you. You are not just 1 out of 100000. And, at any level you can have a significant impact on the business. Our executive team is highly accessible, including our CEO. I've stayed at Etsy as long as I have because it feels like home to me and I'm excited to see where we can go next.

Cons

The only thing I'd say that is a con is that moving quickly and changing directions can get a little exhausting for some. So in order to be successful at Etsy, you have to be resilient and not take it personally if we decide to change directions every now and then. Some folks feel like they have great work life balance, others might not. But it really depends on the environment you came from. We definitely work really hard, but we also play hard as well.

4 people found this review helpful
    5. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Avoid Product Management

Apr 11, 2019 - Product Manager in Brooklyn, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

1. Positive mission and purpose, the customers are inspiring and loyal. And there is still a lot of potential in the marketplace to help them thrive. 2. The engineering team is full of collaborative and talented people. 3. The compensation, benefits, work/life balance and facilities are all really solid and a good model for others to follow.

Cons

1. Communication and data between teams doesn't flow freely but rather siloed and selectively. A handful of negative players appear to thrive here creating unhealthy friction. 2. The PM role lacks a strategic outlook and there is limited growth opportunities. Most are essentially pushed to manage projects, not deliver outcomes. 3. The PM org is being run by someone that never worked as a product manager w/ a management team that hasn't led product at scale for consumer tech businesses. 4. It's not a learning culture. At the end of every quarter, for example, there is a freakout, reshuffling of teams, tactics, etc. because some unrealistic goal(s) won't be hit.

30 people found this review helpful
    6. 2.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Hire fast and Fire fast

Apr 26, 2019 - Software Engineer in Brooklyn, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great compensation with generous RSUs. unlimited sick day and allow to work remote.

Cons

Hire fast and fire fast culture. Low work life balance. Good works are not recognized by managers. Managers treat employees disrespectful.

10 people found this review helpful
    7. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Amazing people & company!

Jul 30, 2018 - Engineering in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Teams, culture, flexibility, technology work/life balance

Cons

there can be a lot of over communication and little to no email discipline. I spend a large part of my time informing people on what I do and have done instead of doing...

Be the first to find this review helpful
    8. 2.0
      Current Employee

Disappointed

Mar 15, 2018 -  in Brooklyn, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Interesting products and challenges -Cozy office space -Unlimited sick day

Cons

- Work/life balance is poor. I am stuck in so many useless meetings that the only time I do actual work is on my "lunch break” (when 12-1 or 1-2 isn’t booked or double booked with even more meetings on my calendar) or evenings/weekends. -However, I’m an afterthought for meetings that actually would be helpful for me, but I’m not invited to them. Then I’m berated for not knowing something that was discussed in those meetings. Usually the one doing the berating is the person who’s setting up those meetings…that I’m not invited to. And the cycle continues. -Which leads to communication, which is terrible here. Obtaining relevant information and answers that is crucial for me to do my job effectively is like pulling teeth. -People in leadership and product management roles don’t seemed to be equipped or experienced enough to handle their job responsibilities. Stop putting 23-year-olds in charge of entire product verticals. They lack the experience and confidence to get the job done. -PMs and designers get in their own way and overthink products.Don’t seem to really be listening to what buyers or sellers actually need. - I'm surprised by how cold and/or unhappy so many people seem here. I was expecting a much warmer, friendlier group of people. Maybe everyone is just so burned out and suffering under a cloud of toxic confusion and miscommunication, that they have nothing left to give socially. Most people come across as insincere. I feel like I’m working among a bunch of zombies.

38 people found this review helpful
    9. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

I'm Lucky That I Can Say "I Love My Job"

Nov 9, 2017 - Software Engineer in Brooklyn, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

As an engineer, I love Etsy's culture of curiosity. While industry standard best practices are of course important and are the standard for good reasons, it never hurts to explore and experiment with alternative approaches. Having experienced Etsy from an inside perspective for over a year now, I can definitely attest to the increased freedom, benefit and satisfaction from exercising the curiosity culture in my day-to-day work. As a human and just "I want to work so I can live my life" perspective, Etsy's benefits, culture (not necessarily just engineering culture), work-life balance and many other aspects hit the spot for me. Etsy is definitely a people-oriented company and while all the initiatives and projects ultimately reflect that people-oriented mindset, it also reflects nicely in the company culture for employees, too.

Cons

Purely as an engineer, there's just one relatively minor point. Having started as a small startup back in 2005, there are definitely remnants of a bygone era of "wild west coding" at Etsy. New code that gets churned out nowadays is honestly fine, but it's not entirely rare to come across a codebase that has a lot of legacy code in it still. With some of the shakeups in the past half a year (As of November '17), there've also been some re-orgs and while it was overall positive and a great change in my opinion, naturally there are still some kinks to be worked out. That said, I want to keep it clear that the above two points are actively being worked on, at least within the teams I interact with. They're just points to keep in mind given recent events.

18 people found this review helpful
    10. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Anonymous

Nov 17, 2017 - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Health benefits Generous sick and PTO time Collaboration Work/life balance (at least my manager works really hard to accomodate this) The work is challenging and often fun

Cons

Etsy is still a great place to work compared to a lot of other companies. Some recent negative reviews are exaggerated and dramatic, which is more of a reflection of the company putting too much emphasis on "culture" and not always hiring the best and most experienced workers for the job. There's a lot of entitlement, which continues to shock me, as not all companies are going to give paid health benefits, very generous sick and PTO, and a terrific work/life balance. I hear everyone talk about the "old" Etsy a lot which included poor product planning, subpar engineering, and major lack of communication across the company. We're finally stepping in the right direction, but I don't feel like Josh is the right fit for Etsy. He has the business expertise, which we desperately need, but it's clear he lacks the ability to manage a company that's so protective of their culture . He's alienated a lot of employees and excelerated attrition, which at one time was curtly referred to as "natural". While we've improved GMS and attracted new members to the site, a lot of products are broken and need to be addressed. Engineering time is now impossible to get because of the wave of attrition in engineering. The loss of a lot of people has in itself pros and cons, but since they arrogantly didn't think this many would actually leave, HR has been super slow to backfill the positions leaving the remaining employees with having to pick up the extra work. Josh and the executive team at one point made it seem as if we all werent willing to pitch in and we needed to essentially grow up to act like adults, which also turned a lot of employees off and gave them an extra push to leave. Unfortunately, this alienated a lot of hard working employees who had been picking up the slack, so I'm not surprised "natural" attrition has drastically increased. It should've only been addressed directly to the employees with a bad attitude, not to the entire company.

14 people found this review helpful