European Investment Bank Graduate Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

European Investment Bank Graduate Reviews

Updated Feb 22, 2019

4.9
European Investment Bank CEO Dr. Werner Hoyer (no image)
Dr. Werner Hoyer

"Graduate in EIB"

Current Employee - Graduate

I have been working at European Investment Bank full-time

Pros

International, prestigious, huge variety of interesting projects, growing institution. Great sense of purpose.

Cons

Bureaucratic and procedures-driven. Not a very good place to start career: preference is for experienced recruits. No career path or training for younger recruits. Grads are seen as rather a temporary fix for immediate staffing needs.

European Investment Bank2019-02-22

"Don't go there if you are young and just started your career!"

Former Employee - Graduate
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at European Investment Bank full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Work life Balance - Salary and benefits - Some great people inside the Bank - Good place if you are looking for life balance and definitely not the good place if you are young and ambitious

Cons

- Bureaucratic - Be mentally prepared to hear a lot of Stereotypes jokes/comments - Not really open to change their bureaucratic way of doing things. - A slow-process culture Personal Experience: 1. Manager: During my time at the EIB I had the worst manager in my life so far, and probably one of the worst at the EIB. s/he was caring mostly about his/her professional development…in my time at the EIB (>1 year) we had 2-3 team meetings and when we had a team meeting, we could see some people of the team not invited to meetings for no real reasons. Later on, I’ve learned, through a PowerPoint presentation during the team division meeting, that my position within the team has completely changed and has been downgraded (for no real reason, never had any issue with my manager). One day you could be responsible for doing something and after you’ve done 90% of the work, s/he decide to give the work to another person for no reason. During the last 6 months of my ending period at the EIB, s/he was simply ignoring me and excluding me from team working for no reason. When s/he left to his/her wanted new position, s/he takes care to introduce everyone from the team to the new manager 1 by 1 except me! (I was there when s/he was doing this). And the worst of that is that I’ve never had any issue with my manager during my time there, or at least s/he never told me that I’ve done something wrong. 2. Life Experience at the EIB Being a Full European citizen with African origins, I have to point out that I have never heard so many stereotypes in my life than at the EIB. I am not going to mention all of the things that I heard during my time at the EIB, but to give you an example equivalent to the worst thing that someone has told me at the EIB, this would have been asking to a German person if someone from his/her family is a Nazi just because s/he is German. I found this very disgusting, more particularly since the EIB is a EUROPEAN INSTITUTION!!! (And I’m not going to comment about my manager who asked me at the end of my contract if I will need a visa to stay in Europe, knowing that it is her/him who recruited me and knew that I am fully European at that time). Furthermore, I was every time send back to my African origins by SOME people of my team with some “stupid” comments. I entered into the EIB as a European person, I’ve left the EIB with the feeling of a person that will never be considered as a non-European person my other fellow-Europeans (I’ll let you to guess what you can feel when you have this kind of feeling).

Continue reading
    European Investment Bank2016-12-20

European Investment Bank Response

December 22, 2016Senior Employer Branding, Diversity & Outreach Officer

Thank you for your honest feedback. We are sorry that your experience at the EIB did not live up to your expectations, and we can assure you that the situations you describe do not match with what we expect from managers or colleagues. Nor are the behaviours in line with our core competencies. We take your comments seriously and will do our utmost to address the issues. In the context of our upcoming new Diversity & Inclusion Strategy we will be implementing a number of training offerings for Managers and staff in general to raise awareness around different cultures and unconscious biases. Should you wish to have a more in-depth and personalised discussion about your experiences, please feel free to reach out to me (Petra de Bruxelles) via LinkedIn.

Continue reading