Evans Cycles Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 2 October 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Head Office personnel given roles they really aren't suitable for (in 9 reviews)

• Increased workforce with reduced budgets paying minimum wage to most resulting in overworked employees (in 9 reviews)

"Negative outlook"

Pros

bike discount, similar minded people talking about bikes all the time

Cons

Bad managers and directors, no career progression, VERY LOW salary, really bad pension scheme

Advice to Management

start management training again

21 Jul 2016 – Talent Coordinator

Thank you for submitting your review.I am sorry that you feel that there was no progression for you whilst you were working here. We have recently introduced a more structured training plan for a... More

2. "D"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Glasgow, Scotland
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Glasgow, Scotland

I worked at Evans Cycles full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good discount on products sold, usually good fun teams of people to work in.

Cons

Salary is not the best although similar to other retailers.

"Sales Assistant"

I have been working at Evans Cycles part-time

Pros

Meet people who love bike

Cons

I'm new I don't know.

"Neanderthal tendencies"

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Evans Cycles full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some great stock if you're really into cycling and good discounts.

Cons

Management in-store and beyond are living in the dark ages. Laddish attitude to just about everything. Staff are on minimum wage and expected to do as much as most managers do. If your face fits then you have a chance of a career but most people are frustrated and incredibly de-motivated. Staff survey is currently being done but I have no confidence that anything will change for the better despite the results.

Advice to Management

Look after your staff and they will look after the customers and the customers will spend more and more frequently. The lip service that you give to employee welfare is appalling.

21 Jul 2016 – Talent Coordinator

Thank you for submitting your review. It is of great concern that you are feeling this about the management in stores and the welfare of our employees.

All colleagues are given the opportunity to... More

"Good for a part time"

Pros

It is good to talk with customers that are passion in cycling.
    Good staff discount.

Cons

Heavy work load.
    The pay is low

"sales assistant"

I have been working at Evans Cycles full-time

Pros

not many to speak of. The discount is ok but thats about it.

Cons

Terrible pay, no training and management dont care about employees

7 Dec 2015 – Talent Manager

I'm sorry to hear that you're not having a great experience with us. We are on the brink of launching some exciting new training tools that will support our store colleagues even further. These will... More

"Could do better..."

Current Employee - Buying/Merchandiser in Gatwick, England
    Current Employee - Buying/Merchandiser in Gatwick, England

I have been working at Evans Cycles full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good trade discount - obviously helps if you're into cycling. Good office facilities including showers, changing room, lockers and secure place to leave commuting bike. Forward looking, intelligent and friendly MD in Nick Wilkinson. Moderately good flexible working, depends on manager. Good retain-ment of staff. Good on-line forum for New ideas with rewards.

Cons

Poor wages, long archaic 40 hr week although a few seem to get paid handsomely. Attitudes to shops at Head Office are shocking at times despite the fact that shop staff are often very poorly paid - it's no wonder NPS is low. Head office needs more women in all positions - still has that male centred arrogance so prevalent in the cycling world. The boys public school type banter is embarrassing. Often lack of career progression and woolly job descriptions.

Advice to Management

Pay shop staff more, especially in London. Employ more women in shops and HQ. Treat staff well and staff will treat customers well.

"left my job"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant

I worked at Evans Cycles full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

after working way too hard, achieving the best performances in the company leaderboard, always asking the managers what i can do to help>>>>> ungratefulness led me to quit my job there and then. No people skills WHAT SO EVER , nor gratitude for performance and hard work.

this is a good temporary company ( bikes are better than burgers) but no future at all expected.

Cons

no gratitude
    no extra pay for performance
    some customers are horrible
    dead days are excruciating
    timetables are not at all good

Advice to Management

i can only give just one BIG piece of advice :open up a book on human skills some day

"Is this the lowest star rating?! One of the most vindictive companies I have ever had the misfortune to work for."

Current Employee - Shop Floor Assistant in South Newbald, England
    Current Employee - Shop Floor Assistant in South Newbald, England

I have been working at Evans Cycles part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very, very occasionally getting crumbs from the king's table, and speaking to customers about cycling.

Cons

The list is so long it's difficult to know where to start...
    The pay is minimum wage. Bonuses are based on your performance that the company does everything possible to minimise.
    Other benefits are not available to all employees. Besides, the company is too busy being nasty to be generous.
    Shop managers are specially selected to be as spiteful and childish as possible.
    They also encourage others to spy on you, making it difficult for you to do your job properly.
    Amazingly, and despite this, the deliberately made poor and down-trodden, assistants still try and give the best service possible, even though the company continues to try to break their spirits and ensure morale is as low as it can get.
    From a minority? Expect special treatment! You will be punished for it. And if you complain you will be punished again and again and again.

As you can see, this is a truly awful company that's far too busy being hateful and hurtful to its employees to realise cherishing them MIGHT just improve the company's profits.

Advice to Management

RESIGN ASAP so we can give the public the service they want!

2 Oct 2015 – Talent Manager

I am sorry to hear that this is the way you feel about your experience with us as we take our values incredibly seriously. We are working hard to introduce new initiatives & programmes that will... More

"Assistant Manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in London, England
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in London, England

I worked at Evans Cycles full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some genuine people interested in serving customers the best way they can; some people really good in what they do; a fantastic HR team that really is focused on getting the employers feeling useful and meaningly. Good offer on products, good process in theory on how things roll. This company has its grounds set correctly. I think overall, and as a company, Evans is doing things right but...

Cons

... but it lets down by some other people. As any traditional retail company, people that work at HO think that the store employees are at the stores to do what they want/advice/plan for them. When it should be the other way around. The people at the stores at the face of the company to the costumer. The HO would never exist if it wasn't for the guys at the store. While the HP have a "relaxed" paced, the staff in the stores, are always on the pressure of making the numbers, Obviously you have targets to fulfill (just like any industry/company), but a little more acknowledge of the store staff work. Usually there's a lot of pressure on the communication via HO-store and the guys at HO feel "superior" when facing the store staff. This, sometimes, reduces the potential growth of the company's revenue. Sometimes, you get the feeling that the guys at H are just trying to do their jobs, just trying to "cover that behinds" (pardon my french). Guys in the stores are usually the less paid and the ones that produce revenue for the company.
    Usually, a store environment is determined by its manager and management team. It is them who have to do the bridge between HO "demands" and get the most of the sales staff. Usually, this staff are young people, not to reliable and have a high turnover of sales staff. Again, this can be a lottery: you can have really good people (usually stay at the stores about 6 months to 1 years, until they find something better), or guys that just cover gaps (usually stay longer because they can't get better jobs than that and the managers see in them staff they can use). With the fast rotation of staff, it gives managers the work of getting more staff and usually the feedback from customers can range from excellent advise to stores understaffed and staff who don't care.
    If you don't get in the grace of some key people, forget about being recognised and step up the ladder. Unfortunately, that's the truth. There is also no standards between the stores. As said above, it is about the management team, who creates the team spirit and, therefore, the shops ambience. Usually, you step up easily if you're on the South or North Region. On London region is harder to succeed.
    One of the biggest cons is, again flat out across lots of industries and retail companies, the people that work in the HO never worked in the shops before. This is, again, a huge problem, as they don't recognise the colleagues issues.

Advice to Management

If, as they say, that are really focused on the customer service, than, pay more to the sales staff. They are doing your sales on the shop floors everyday. They are the company's face. The deal with the customers everyday. If you really want to succeed and have an outstanding customer service, it is just not giving them a Colleague Handbook, elect a Directeur Sportive to train them. It is about giving them the money for their knowledge. Get the guys at HO to work one month at a shop in Central London, to know the stores problems, issues and, when they return to the HO and perform their jobs, they can understand and address the stores issues.

1 Sep 2015 – Talent Manager

Thank you for your review & for recognising that we have the right foundations in place. Our aim is to ensure every colleague doesn't just have a job working for us, but a career working with us... More