Evans Cycles Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 16 July 2018

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Communication between stores and head office is a bit hit and miss but getting better" (in 12 reviews)

• "You are being paid minimum wage for specialist knowledge and then you are a cleaner when the shop is quiet" (in 10 reviews)

1. "Supervisor"

I have been working at Evans Cycles full-time

Pros

Friendly staff members and colleagues.

Cons

Bad pay, lack of training and progression within the company

2. "Utterly shocking!!"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant

I worked at Evans Cycles part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Trade prices for staff are cool but you don’t get paid enough to use it

Cons

IF You want to progress, forget that, the company won’t even give you a contract after 2 loyal years of service, you are constantly messed around and given false promises saying things will change that never happens.

Wages are poor, 6.12 for 2 years not a single pay rise, even though other staff memebrrs were getting 6.70, yet management didn’t care.

Don’t listen to the bonus scheme, you’ll be lucky to get 20 pounds a month let alone the hundreds they suggest

Equally workplace bullying is just accepted, will happily call out the store manager in the leeds city store for verbally abusing staff, and shoving them off the till if they’d just being serving a customer yet stood there for 20 seconds for whatever reason

Advice to Management

Don’t tell lies.

3. "Part Time Sales. Absolutely horrible company work for."

Former Employee - Sales in Glasgow, Scotland
    Former Employee - Sales in Glasgow, Scotland

I worked at Evans Cycles part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Discount - although it is micromanaged and heavily monitored and you can price match most things to wiggle cheaper than your trade discount anyway.

Friendships - Good bonds fromed between all levels of staff - supervisor/workshop etc

Cons

Dealing with anyone from Human Resources.
    The wage is pitiable.
    You are being paid minimum wage for specialist knowledge and then you are a cleaner when the shop is quiet.
    The store managers are kept on a tight lead. Every miniscule detail is monitored and then they are preyed upon with absolutely zero resources to motivate the shop floor staff.
    Communication between all departments is a riot. Nobody really knows what anyone is doing.
    I worked there for almost 4 years and i have no idea who owns the company, no idea how much money it makes and I have received under £50 of bonus the entire time I had been there.

Due to this horrible mismanagement on all levels I ended up only make £5.60 per hour which is a disgrace.

THIS COMPANY WILL PAY YOU BELOW MINIMUM WAGE. THEY OPERATE ILLEGALLY. DO NOT WORK FOR THEM!

Advice to Management

My advice to management would be that you need to radically change your way of operating if you actually want to keep hold of any staff.

4. "DO NOT WORK FOR EVANS CYCLES"

Current Employee - Sales Assistant
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant

I have been working at Evans Cycles part-time

Pros

Most of the people I work will are friendly and they are a good laugh. The staff that know what they are doing are great.
    Trade prices are ok

Cons

The pay for the amount of work you do is rubbish. The customers are rude and they do not appreciate anything you do for them.
    The managers and assistant managers at the store I'm working at are useless and they barely turned up. They expect the supervisors to be in charge and put a lot of pressure on them.
    The assistant manager I work for is a backstabber and he will also only serve customers with female genitalia and he is very unprofessional. He also antagonises customers and I've seen him argue multiple times with customers to which point a customer nearly punched him. He also doesn't care about warranty issues and just says 'it doesn't matter, we aren't making any money from warranties'.
    I found that the company destroys the cycling passion and the stupid hours 10am- 7pm don't allow you to enjoy the sport you started to do the job for.
    I also think that the training is rubbish. Some people that work there haven't got a clue what they are doing even with this so called 'amazing' new training programme.
    The staff turnover is ridiculous. 4 managers in 18 months and 10 staff members excluding management have left since I started.
    Contact centre hasn't got a clue what they are doing and they will go against what a store manager has said. Advice to customers - complain and you'll get free vouchers.
    The till system 'NAV' is ridiculous and the processes are inefficient.
    The manager is always asking can anyone work today but if it is his day off and the store needs cover he is nowhere to be seen.

5. "A company on a downward trajectory"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gatwick, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gatwick, England

I worked at Evans Cycles full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great if you like bike and cycling, with a fairly good staff discount.

Cons

Extremely poor salaries in both stores and head office.
    No clear business strategy
    Poor/unclear leadership after all the senior management left in the last 12 months
    Staff leaving in large numbers

Advice to Management

Have a business strategy and if there is one tell the staff.
    Stop promising change and improvements and then not following up on the them. Always saying the right things but not following through creates a toxic environment of distrust for staff.
    Realise that you need to pay people for the jobs they are doing and be competitive.
    Invest in the business to help grow it. The constant cost saving mentality displayed is not going to do that.

6. "Good as far as retail jobs go"

Former Employee - Sales/Mechanic in Manchester, England
    Former Employee - Sales/Mechanic in Manchester, England

I worked at Evans Cycles full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great if you like talking about/riding/working on bikes.
    If you're willing to move around there is good progression.

Cons

Managers seemed to be promoted because it's their turn, rather than on merit. This leads to pretty poor management styles from some managers.

No consistency between stores in terms of process or values, maybe down to the choice of manager.

7. "Evans"

Former Employee - Dispatch Supervisor in Crawley, West Sussex, South East England, England

I worked at Evans Cycles full-time

Pros

Great staff and great staff discount

Cons

Bad management and not very friendly from managers

Advice to Management

One to one man management must improve

8. "Chaotic"

I worked at Evans Cycles part-time

Pros

Working with bikes and they will take anyone on.

Cons

Management, pay, working conditions, no standards.

"Lack of support, no progression, useless HR department"

Current Employee - Supervisor in London, England
    Current Employee - Supervisor in London, England

I have been working at Evans Cycles full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good staff discount but that's it

Cons

No progression, useless HR department, no support, poor management, poor pay

Advice to Management

Listen to colleagues with actual issues instead of brushing it under the carpet, no one in the company trusts HR, and the only way you can progress is if your a brown nose, shout a lot or cant manage people.

"Worst mger ever total joke in whole company"

Former Employee - IT Support in Crawley, West Sussex, South East England, England

I worked at Evans Cycles full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free tea.... that’s about it if you like bikes get discount

Cons

Everything ... terrible pay, zero benefits, minimum holiday that the law allows, IT dept in total disarray that everyone leaving for one reason only (see subject heading)

Advice to Management

If everyone is leaving a department maybe there is a reason for it...it being the word in question