Evans Cycles Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Evans Cycles Reviews

Updated 9 November 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • You can save a lot on kit with the staff discount (in 9 reviews)

• The trade discount can offer up to (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Head Office personnel given roles they really aren't suitable for (in 9 reviews)

• Increased workforce with reduced budgets paying minimum wage to most resulting in overworked employees (in 9 reviews)

"Assistant Manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in London, England
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in London, England

I worked at Evans Cycles full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some genuine people interested in serving customers the best way they can; some people really good in what they do; a fantastic HR team that really is focused on getting the employers feeling useful and meaningly. Good offer on products, good process in theory on how things roll. This company has its grounds set correctly. I think overall, and as a company, Evans is doing things right but...

Cons

... but it lets down by some other people. As any traditional retail company, people that work at HO think that the store employees are at the stores to do what they want/advice/plan for them. When it should be the other way around. The people at the stores at the face of the company to the costumer. The HO would never exist if it wasn't for the guys at the store. While the HP have a "relaxed" paced, the staff in the stores, are always on the pressure of making the numbers, Obviously you have targets to fulfill (just like any industry/company), but a little more acknowledge of the store staff work. Usually there's a lot of pressure on the communication via HO-store and the guys at HO feel "superior" when facing the store staff. This, sometimes, reduces the potential growth of the company's revenue. Sometimes, you get the feeling that the guys at H are just trying to do their jobs, just trying to "cover that behinds" (pardon my french). Guys in the stores are usually the less paid and the ones that produce revenue for the company.
    Usually, a store environment is determined by its manager and management team. It is them who have to do the bridge between HO "demands" and get the most of the sales staff. Usually, this staff are young people, not to reliable and have a high turnover of sales staff. Again, this can be a lottery: you can have really good people (usually stay at the stores about 6 months to 1 years, until they find something better), or guys that just cover gaps (usually stay longer because they can't get better jobs than that and the managers see in them staff they can use). With the fast rotation of staff, it gives managers the work of getting more staff and usually the feedback from customers can range from excellent advise to stores understaffed and staff who don't care.
    If you don't get in the grace of some key people, forget about being recognised and step up the ladder. Unfortunately, that's the truth. There is also no standards between the stores. As said above, it is about the management team, who creates the team spirit and, therefore, the shops ambience. Usually, you step up easily if you're on the South or North Region. On London region is harder to succeed.
    One of the biggest cons is, again flat out across lots of industries and retail companies, the people that work in the HO never worked in the shops before. This is, again, a huge problem, as they don't recognise the colleagues issues.

Advice to Management

If, as they say, that are really focused on the customer service, than, pay more to the sales staff. They are doing your sales on the shop floors everyday. They are the company's face. The deal with the customers everyday. If you really want to succeed and have an outstanding customer service, it is just not giving them a Colleague Handbook, elect a Directeur Sportive to train them. It is about giving them the money for their knowledge. Get the guys at HO to work one month at a shop in Central London, to know the stores problems, issues and, when they return to the HO and perform their jobs, they can understand and address the stores issues.

1 Sep 2015 – Talent Manager

Thank you for your review & for recognising that we have the right foundations in place. Our aim is to ensure every colleague doesn't just have a job working for us, but a career working with us... More

"High work load, high expectations, bottom of the barrel pay"

Current Employee - Workshop Manager in London, England

I have been working at Evans Cycles full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Limited trade discount, co-workers are usually interested in cycling. (Have to write more to fill in required words for pros.)

Cons

You're expected to do a lot of work without all the tools for less than average pay.
    Even though pay is horrendous they limit one of the only advantages of working here; trade price.
    Long working hours
    The tasks you are given to do as well as give good customer service drags you into overtime which you are paid minimum wage per hour for.
    Most stores run on skeleton staff making it highly stressful and we're always pushed to ask for customer feedback when we can not provide good customer service because we have no staff.
    Evans does not attract good working staff because of their low pay, although you will come across people who fit the job description they will often leave as they are not valued.
    Their computers are outdated and operations on the computers are even worse. This makes quite easy tasks take very long.
    No sort of team building rides or activities although they expect stores to work as a strong team. The main thing that brings 'teams' at evans cycles together is their common interest in leaving the company
    Working here takes the joy out of cycling...
    You spend 9 hours at the shop, get paid for 8 hours work, no paid lunch breaks.
    Nothing can not be done, if you don't have space for something 'you make the space'.
    Staff areas really need to be re-fitted, evans are happy to open up new stores all over the place but will not update their current stores.
    You find out about new products that evans are selling when a customer orders it, there is a bulletin but only key items are put in there.
    WE SELL TERNS AND DAHONS, which are death traps, frames splitting in half are not a strange thing to deal with when it comes to terns and dahons, but we receive such good revenue on them so it doesn't matter, right?
    Pay is horrible, not even London living wage (i know i said it already but it is that bad...)
    We fill in surveys but feels like they aren't read, our opinions dont really matter

Advice to Management

Pay more, stop selling bikes that are proven to be death traps, let your stores go on staff rides, re-fit stores that are older than 5 years old, show staff that you value them, if you don't value them, then please stop pretending.
    Actually do something about the cons listed above! Dont just reply with a generic response.

"Needs to start encouraging ALL employees"

I worked at Evans Cycles full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Bikes, immediate team, store staff. They are trying to change the management style and culture with the new HR Team.

Cons

Poor Head Office attitude towards stores, unclear role expectations/poor training, an entrenched culture of bullying at all levels that lazily picks perceived 'easy targets' (I wonder how some staff members bear to go into work), long hours (40 per week, and it's frowned upon if you don't put in a few extra - even at HO's lowest pay grades).

1 Sep 2015 – Talent Manager

Thank you for your review.

I can see that you have left the business, but if you are interested in expanding further on your experience with us, please drop us an email - hrteam@evanscycles.com... More

"Evans cycles appears to hate their staff"

Current Employee - Head Office Based in Gatwick, England
    Current Employee - Head Office Based in Gatwick, England

I have been working at Evans Cycles full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I guess if you really like cycling you can get discounts on cycling goods. But then your salary be so low even then you wouldn't be able to afford to buy things

Cons

Directors don't live in the real world. They set unrealistic targets just to try and flatter new owners then when not surprisingly targets not met guess what. ..its The staff thought.
    Directors are only out for themselves to line there pockets.
    Managers are not much better.they prefer to not deal with issues or problems and love to have a blame culture.
    Long hours.
    Bare minimum holiday law allows.
    Zero benefits.
    Rubbish pay.
    No respect.
    No idea what they doing.
    I feel like this and I work in head office hate to think what its like for store staff.
    I often hear retail support teams talking with utter contempt about store stuff,they act like store staff are barely human with no feelings....totally unprofessional yet they think they are hilarious.

Advice to Management

Sack all directors get some in with a clue. Revamp whole of buying team as it just lad culture with no idea what they doing.oh and when going gets tough the answer is not to just emoloyee more people in HR.!

1 Sep 2015 – Talent Manager

Thank you for your review. I am sorry that you are not having a great experience with us

We are focused on strengthening & promoting our values all the time to ensure that these resonate with all... More

"Evans is good if you want a job.... not good for a career"

Current Employee - HQ Employee in Gatwick, England
    Current Employee - HQ Employee in Gatwick, England

I have been working at Evans Cycles full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, 30 days holiday, amazing staff discount, colleagues are friendly and welcoming

Cons

No career progression route (if you want to progress you will get no support if you ask for it), managers lack ability to encourage and manage staff, not in a inspiring location (near Gatwick), every week, if not every day, is the same, blame culture (if you miss out on a promotion because of lack of training it is your fault... not the companies), managers lie to you regarding a impending promotion just to make you stay, poor pay, targets too unrealistic to meet bonus, no benefit of working for

Advice to Management

Train staff adequately and help them progress, step out of the stone age and value store and contact centre staff better as they are at the forefront of the company

1 Sep 2015 – Talent Manager

Thank you for you review. I am sorry that you are not having a great experience & we would be keen to understand why in a little more detail & to turn your experience around! We would encourage you... More

"Working for Evans Cycles workshops"

Current Employee - Workshop Manager in London, England

Pros

The company is generally a great company to work for, innovative, friendly and genuinely do care about the people they employ. I have been working for Evans Cycles now for a few years and there was a period where it looked as though it was going to go down the path of the 'stack em high, knock em out' Halfords approach to the cycle trade however the CEO Nick Wilkinson appears to have a genuine passion for the business and cares about the people employed by the company and has turned things around for the better. As a business we may be getting bigger but our outlook is still local.

Cons

The only unfortunate thing about the company (at least from the perspective of people working in workshops) is that they still have a tendency to recruit managers with little (if any) workshop experience to manage workshop affairs and projects with predictably little result. To my mind this is analogous to tasking someone to design or build or formula1 car because they have experience driving a 5door family saloon instead of hiring the minds of F1 technicians.
    However this is just a small gripe at what is really a great company to work for.

Advice to Management

Broaden your horizons and scope of vision when looking for capable minds and individuals, we may be found in the most unusual of places but we may just surprise you and offer you perspectives and opportunities that you didn't realise existed.

1 Sep 2015 – Talent Manager

Thank you for your detailed & well articulated review! We are very proud of who we are & what we are working towards & are happy to hear that you are enjoying your Evans Cycles adventure too. Thank... More

8. "Many great aspects"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gatwick, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gatwick, England

I have been working at Evans Cycles full-time

Pros

I work at their Head Office. I'm happy with my role, which seems to differ somwhat to a few experiences of store workers.

It can take a while to get things done at Evans Cycles, but when things are done they are generally always done right due to the thought and process put in place.

I'm given the space I need to do my job with no micro-management, only some guidance every now and then.

I find management easy to liaise with, bright and open to ideas for improvement.

There's a lot of friendly people in the office and a lot of the staff working at Evans Cycles have been there for years.

Evans Cycles head office staff work bank holidays by default but you receive the holiday for it. You can easily request the bank holidays day off work and I've found this option is better than not having it.

Cons

The working environment is spacious, modern but very quiet. I prefer work spaces which encourage collaboration and innovation but the quiet could be down to the spaciousness of the working space or culture.

If it weren't for the dry culture, I would recommend a friend to work here. I'm neutral in this respect, as there are a lot of positives to working here.

Evans Cycles work an old school 40 hour week, which is generally longer week than other companies.

Advice to Management

In order to grow in our next phase of development, it is likely that we'll need to innovate, be less risk adverse and not just copy what our competitors are up to.

Build a the stronger culture: help colleagues be more collaborative. Encourage and act upon good ideas.

Ensure that staff have the resources needed to get more from their input.

11 May 2015 – Talent Manager

Thank you for your detailed feedback!

We are proud of our culture which is based on trust, autonomy & freedom to innovate. We know however, that we can always strive to be better; offer more... More

"Disheartening to say the least, completely put me off cycling"

Former Employee - Bike Builder/Mechanic in Trafford Park, England
    Former Employee - Bike Builder/Mechanic in Trafford Park, England

I worked at Evans Cycles full-time

Pros

Friendly staff ( not management)

Cons

Poor wages ( I was payed less than other less skilled/qualified staff doing 'like work' illegally and was offered little or no support rectifying the situation thus I was forced to handle it on my own successfully I might add).

Poor management ( managers have little or no awareness regarding employment law and equal opportunities, also the management is very much a closed circle of friends therefore you tend to find cliques forming in the stores.

Almost non existent progression ( If your good at what you do and are capable of complete in a large workload they are more than happy to keep you in the same position and work you like a dog( I was building bikes completing maybe 2 or 3 times my quota whilst being consistently understaffed and underpaid)

Little or no training ( when you do finally go on a course you will have probably worked there for at least a year)

Advice to Management

Pay your staff more to retain experience with the company, learn basic employment rights and recognise skilled staff and invest in them

11 May 2015 – Talent Manager

Thank you for your review & I'm so sorry to hear that your Evans Cycles experience didn't meet your expectations.

Whilst this message has come a little late in the day for your good self, we are... More

"Terrible place to work/Almost put me off cycling"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Crawley, West Sussex, South East England, England

I worked at Evans Cycles part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Other members of the team (not managers) and customers. You could always have a decent and interesting conversation with customers, it was other senior members of staff who would make you feel stupid.

Cons

The terrible service customers receive is the result of how poorly sales assistants are treated. Managers have very little in the way of people skills and are very quick to criticise. Managers often make mistakes, often because they are so poorly organised but will do all in their power to find someone else to blame.
    An example of how poorly run everything is, I was only told two days before my contract ended that I wouldn't be being kept on. I then got home to see a letter informing me that I would be receiving a pay rise, ironically on what would be my last day, and to thank me for my great service and to keep it up.

Advice to Management

Treat staff better. Staff who are happy will give better service because they will feel valued. Encourage staff to read up on new products and how things work and praise them when they do well.
    Also don't preach that you encourage people to ask questions and then criticising them when they ask 'too many'.

When I began working at Evans I use to really look forward to coming in to work but that soon came to an end with the torrent of poor management and general abuse I would receive. I would constantly be spoken down to and made to feel very embarrassed in front of customers. Mistakes are constantly made because staff are afraid to ask or just do not know as the training at Evans is so poor.

8 May 2015 – Talent Manager

Thanks for your feedback! Our aim is to ensure that every colleague has a fantastic time with us and I'm sorry that your experience fell short of your expectations & our expectations.

We have a... More

"Good Working Environment"

Current Employee - Marketing Assistant in Gatwick, England
    Current Employee - Marketing Assistant in Gatwick, England

I have been working at Evans Cycles full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly company
    Opportunities to advance within
    Relaxed attitude to office attire and no strict policies on the office environment
    Working hours and work/life balance are very good

Cons

Little communication from management
    Office is average
    Pay is low

Advice to Management

Be more proactive

8 May 2015 – Talent Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback! I'm glad to see you have recognized our progression opportunities. We have a number of mechanisms in place now to ensure everyone is set up for... More