Evans Cycles Sales Assistant Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.1
Andrew King

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Head Office personnel given roles they really aren't suitable for (in 9 reviews)

• Increased workforce with reduced budgets paying minimum wage to most resulting in overworked employees (in 9 reviews)

1. "Better than other sales jobs if you like cycling"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Leeds, England
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Leeds, England

I worked at Evans Cycles part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You are surrounded by cycling all day

You can save a lot on kit with the staff discount

I personally had a great store manager

Cons

They have been taken over by a conglomerate keen for a quick buck

You are expected to be an expert on bikes but you get minimum wage

Advice to Management

Appreciate that working in sales at a bike store is not an unskilled job and should not be paid as such

2. "Sales Assistant"

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in London, England

I have been working at Evans Cycles part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Get to meet some great like minded people who enjoy cycling as much as you do.
    Great place for progression and have seen many of my colleagues progress. It is also an awesome place if you are studying. Very flexible.
    Lot's to learn and not just about bikes or sales.
    Amazing discounts and company benefits like Bike Fest.

Cons

Sometimes the operating system can be extremely painful to use and needs to be updated.
    A lot of people only review stores if they have a bad experience, not a good one and can feel like this isn't recognised by senior management.
    High turnover of managers can be difficult to adapt, as each have their own style of management.
    Also high turnover of staff can also be difficult.
    Sometimes a lot of red tape around puncture repairs and accessory fittings, even if we ride everyday.
    You do prologue (probation) than are slapped with Veloversity, even more "training" that we have to do out of work hours and all this extra learning isnt reflected in pay.

Advice to Management

Less admin, more shop floor focus, especially from managers. I never see my new manager on the shop floor at all.
    I feel you need learn how to nurture some of your managerial talent better and not let them get away.
    Never stop trade, huge benefit to work there, but a lot of retail companies do pay a lot more nowadays than Evans.
    The company needs to start acting like a big retail company and not your local bike shop, because it isn't anymore.

3. "Solid, Reliable Work"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Glasgow, Scotland

I worked at Evans Cycles part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great staff but that is dependent on the store you are in. Good nights out and always hours available to work. Fun culture.

Cons

Really basic pay with no real way to advance it. Very sales focused with no commission.

Advice to Management

Pay better incentives, doesn't need to be cash but if you want your staff to sell bikes, especially pinnacles bikes then give them a real reason to do so.

"McDonalds of the bike world!"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Castleford, England
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Castleford, England

I worked at Evans Cycles full-time

Pros

Semi cheap bikes and accessories, that's about it. Most of the time, the staff price is the same as the sale price everywhere else!

Cons

Management who can barely manage themselves into work, let alone run a store, or manage any staff. No rotas, no support, no one cares!
    You have an area manager that turns up once a week to tell you how rubbish you are, but wont even say hello first. Zero people skills from the "upper middle management"
    Store managers are just "graduates" who have no real life skills, but have been born with a silver spoon up their backside and have had all the college and university funding handed to them on plate, but can still barely wipe their own backside without having to consult some kind of manual on how to do it best!
    You get treated like an idiot by all the "wannabe" cyclists who turn up to spend as little money as they can on the a bike they don't need, or use.

Advice to Management

Employ some managers with actual people skills, and try and move away from this Pound Land style shopping experience that the bike world is sliding towards!

6. "Can be a fun job"

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Manchester, England

I have been working at Evans Cycles full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Evans is a good company to work for, customers that come in are generally positive about their experience in the shop. Management are very relaxed compared to other companies i have worked for, while still managing a team they trust employees a lot with independence in tasks. Training is very comprehensive and you can easily feel confident doing things around the shop

Cons

Minimum wage job for most. Can be very tiring to be on your feet all day, but it's the same in all retail jobs.

23 Sep 2016 – Talent Coordinator

Thank you for your review. We appreciate the time you have taken to post.

We are proud of the culture that we promote in our stores being relaxed whilst still maintaining high performance to keep... More

"Employ integrity in the work place"

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in London, England

Pros

Meeting and speaking with interesting customers

Cons

Extremely unprofessional environment to work in, no structure, continually under staffed, most of the day is taken up dealing with unhappy customers, justly complaining about poor overall service. In store management and supervisors are continually snooping and interjecting into customer conversations, creates an environment of low moral and consequently turnover is high. Staffing rotas change on a day to day basis, extra shifts or better shift options given to managers pets (childish approach). Unfortunately the most unprofessional work place I`ve worked.

Advice to Management

Take a serious look at individuals running and working in the stores and work methods employed. Consider more than just your bottom line profits.

8. "D"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Glasgow, Scotland

I worked at Evans Cycles full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good discount on products sold, usually good fun teams of people to work in.

Cons

Salary is not the best although similar to other retailers.

"left my job"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant

I worked at Evans Cycles full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

after working way too hard, achieving the best performances in the company leaderboard, always asking the managers what i can do to help>>>>> ungratefulness led me to quit my job there and then. No people skills WHAT SO EVER , nor gratitude for performance and hard work.

this is a good temporary company ( bikes are better than burgers) but no future at all expected.

Cons

no gratitude
    no extra pay for performance
    some customers are horrible
    dead days are excruciating
    timetables are not at all good

Advice to Management

i can only give just one BIG piece of advice :open up a book on human skills some day

"Terrible place to work/Almost put me off cycling"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Crawley, West Sussex, South East England, England

I worked at Evans Cycles part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Other members of the team (not managers) and customers. You could always have a decent and interesting conversation with customers, it was other senior members of staff who would make you feel stupid.

Cons

The terrible service customers receive is the result of how poorly sales assistants are treated. Managers have very little in the way of people skills and are very quick to criticise. Managers often make mistakes, often because they are so poorly organised but will do all in their power to find someone else to blame.
    An example of how poorly run everything is, I was only told two days before my contract ended that I wouldn't be being kept on. I then got home to see a letter informing me that I would be receiving a pay rise, ironically on what would be my last day, and to thank me for my great service and to keep it up.

Advice to Management

Treat staff better. Staff who are happy will give better service because they will feel valued. Encourage staff to read up on new products and how things work and praise them when they do well.
    Also don't preach that you encourage people to ask questions and then criticising them when they ask 'too many'.

When I began working at Evans I use to really look forward to coming in to work but that soon came to an end with the torrent of poor management and general abuse I would receive. I would constantly be spoken down to and made to feel very embarrassed in front of customers. Mistakes are constantly made because staff are afraid to ask or just do not know as the training at Evans is so poor.

8 May 2015 – Talent Manager

Thanks for your feedback! Our aim is to ensure that every colleague has a fantastic time with us and I'm sorry that your experience fell short of your expectations & our expectations.

We have a... More

"Sales Assistant"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in London, England
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in London, England

I worked at Evans Cycles full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Work Environment. Ability to work autonomously. Friendly Management.

Cons

None. I had a great time.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

8 May 2015 – Talent Manager

Thank you for posting your feedback! We're glad that you had such a good experience with us. We continue to work hard to ensure that everyone has a fantastic Evans Cycles Adventure. We hope you will... More