Evans Cycles Sales Assistant Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Andrew King
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Communication between stores and head office is a bit hit and miss but getting better (in 11 reviews)

• You are being paid minimum wage for specialist knowledge and then you are a cleaner when the shop is quiet (in 10 reviews)

1. "Sales Assistant"

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in London, England

I have been working at Evans Cycles part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Get to meet some great like minded people who enjoy cycling as much as you do.
    Great place for progression and have seen many of my colleagues progress. It is also an awesome place if you are studying. Very flexible.
    Lot's to learn and not just about bikes or sales.
    Amazing discounts and company benefits like Bike Fest.

Cons

Sometimes the operating system can be extremely painful to use and needs to be updated.
    A lot of people only review stores if they have a bad experience, not a good one and can feel like this isn't recognised by senior management.
    High turnover of managers can be difficult to adapt, as each have their own style of management.
    Also high turnover of staff can also be difficult.
    Sometimes a lot of red tape around puncture repairs and accessory fittings, even if we ride everyday.
    You do prologue (probation) than are slapped with Veloversity, even more "training" that we have to do out of work hours and all this extra learning isnt reflected in pay.

Advice to Management

Less admin, more shop floor focus, especially from managers. I never see my new manager on the shop floor at all.
    I feel you need learn how to nurture some of your managerial talent better and not let them get away.
    Never stop trade, huge benefit to work there, but a lot of retail companies do pay a lot more nowadays than Evans.
    The company needs to start acting like a big retail company and not your local bike shop, because it isn't anymore.

2. "Sales assistant"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in London, England
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in London, England

I worked at Evans Cycles part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice people to work with

Cons

Pay is a little low

Advice to Management

Need better pay and benefits for staff.

3. "Utterly shocking!!"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant

I worked at Evans Cycles part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Trade prices for staff are cool but you don’t get paid enough to use it

Cons

IF You want to progress, forget that, the company won’t even give you a contract after 2 loyal years of service, you are constantly messed around and given false promises saying things will change that never happens.

Wages are poor, 6.12 for 2 years not a single pay rise, even though other staff memebrrs were getting 6.70, yet management didn’t care.

Don’t listen to the bonus scheme, you’ll be lucky to get 20 pounds a month let alone the hundreds they suggest

Equally workplace bullying is just accepted, will happily call out the store manager in the leeds city store for verbally abusing staff, and shoving them off the till if they’d just being serving a customer yet stood there for 20 seconds for whatever reason

Advice to Management

Don’t tell lies.

4. "DO NOT WORK FOR EVANS CYCLES"

Current Employee - Sales Assistant
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant

I have been working at Evans Cycles part-time

Pros

Most of the people I work will are friendly and they are a good laugh. The staff that know what they are doing are great.
    Trade prices are ok

Cons

The pay for the amount of work you do is rubbish. The customers are rude and they do not appreciate anything you do for them.
    The managers and assistant managers at the store I'm working at are useless and they barely turned up. They expect the supervisors to be in charge and put a lot of pressure on them.
    The assistant manager I work for is a backstabber and he will also only serve customers with female genitalia and he is very unprofessional. He also antagonises customers and I've seen him argue multiple times with customers to which point a customer nearly punched him. He also doesn't care about warranty issues and just says 'it doesn't matter, we aren't making any money from warranties'.
    I found that the company destroys the cycling passion and the stupid hours 10am- 7pm don't allow you to enjoy the sport you started to do the job for.
    I also think that the training is rubbish. Some people that work there haven't got a clue what they are doing even with this so called 'amazing' new training programme.
    The staff turnover is ridiculous. 4 managers in 18 months and 10 staff members excluding management have left since I started.
    Contact centre hasn't got a clue what they are doing and they will go against what a store manager has said. Advice to customers - complain and you'll get free vouchers.
    The till system 'NAV' is ridiculous and the processes are inefficient.
    The manager is always asking can anyone work today but if it is his day off and the store needs cover he is nowhere to be seen.

"Better than other sales jobs if you like cycling"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Leeds, England
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Leeds, England

I worked at Evans Cycles part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You are surrounded by cycling all day

You can save a lot on kit with the staff discount

I personally had a great store manager

Cons

They have been taken over by a conglomerate keen for a quick buck

You are expected to be an expert on bikes but you get minimum wage

Advice to Management

Appreciate that working in sales at a bike store is not an unskilled job and should not be paid as such

6. "Solid, Reliable Work"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Glasgow, Scotland

I worked at Evans Cycles part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great staff but that is dependent on the store you are in. Good nights out and always hours available to work. Fun culture.

Cons

Really basic pay with no real way to advance it. Very sales focused with no commission.

Advice to Management

Pay better incentives, doesn't need to be cash but if you want your staff to sell bikes, especially pinnacles bikes then give them a real reason to do so.

"McDonalds of the bike world!"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Castleford, England
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Castleford, England

I worked at Evans Cycles full-time

Pros

Semi cheap bikes and accessories, that's about it. Most of the time, the staff price is the same as the sale price everywhere else!

Cons

Management who can barely manage themselves into work, let alone run a store, or manage any staff. No rotas, no support, no one cares!
    You have an area manager that turns up once a week to tell you how rubbish you are, but wont even say hello first. Zero people skills from the "upper middle management"
    Store managers are just "graduates" who have no real life skills, but have been born with a silver spoon up their backside and have had all the college and university funding handed to them on plate, but can still barely wipe their own backside without having to consult some kind of manual on how to do it best!
    You get treated like an idiot by all the "wannabe" cyclists who turn up to spend as little money as they can on the a bike they don't need, or use.

Advice to Management

Employ some managers with actual people skills, and try and move away from this Pound Land style shopping experience that the bike world is sliding towards!

"Employ integrity in the work place"

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in London, England

Pros

Meeting and speaking with interesting customers

Cons

Extremely unprofessional environment to work in, no structure, continually under staffed, most of the day is taken up dealing with unhappy customers, justly complaining about poor overall service. In store management and supervisors are continually snooping and interjecting into customer conversations, creates an environment of low moral and consequently turnover is high. Staffing rotas change on a day to day basis, extra shifts or better shift options given to managers pets (childish approach). Unfortunately the most unprofessional work place I`ve worked.

Advice to Management

Take a serious look at individuals running and working in the stores and work methods employed. Consider more than just your bottom line profits.

9. "Can be a fun job"

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Manchester, England

I have been working at Evans Cycles full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Evans is a good company to work for, customers that come in are generally positive about their experience in the shop. Management are very relaxed compared to other companies i have worked for, while still managing a team they trust employees a lot with independence in tasks. Training is very comprehensive and you can easily feel confident doing things around the shop

Cons

Minimum wage job for most. Can be very tiring to be on your feet all day, but it's the same in all retail jobs.

Evans Cycles Response

23 Sep 2016 – Talent Coordinator

Thank you for your review. We appreciate the time you have taken to post.

We are proud of the culture that we promote in our stores being relaxed whilst still maintaining high performance to keep... More

10. "D"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Glasgow, Scotland

I worked at Evans Cycles full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good discount on products sold, usually good fun teams of people to work in.

Cons

Salary is not the best although similar to other retailers.