Evans Cycles Workshop Manager Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Workshop Manager

1.0
Andrew King

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • You can save a lot on kit with the staff discount (in 9 reviews)

• The trade discount can offer up to (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Head Office personnel given roles they really aren't suitable for (in 9 reviews)

• Increased workforce with reduced budgets paying minimum wage to most resulting in overworked employees (in 9 reviews)

"High work load, high expectations, bottom of the barrel pay"

Current Employee - Workshop Manager in London, England

I have been working at Evans Cycles full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Limited trade discount, co-workers are usually interested in cycling. (Have to write more to fill in required words for pros.)

Cons

You're expected to do a lot of work without all the tools for less than average pay.
    Even though pay is horrendous they limit one of the only advantages of working here; trade price.
    Long working hours
    The tasks you are given to do as well as give good customer service drags you into overtime which you are paid minimum wage per hour for.
    Most stores run on skeleton staff making it highly stressful and we're always pushed to ask for customer feedback when we can not provide good customer service because we have no staff.
    Evans does not attract good working staff because of their low pay, although you will come across people who fit the job description they will often leave as they are not valued.
    Their computers are outdated and operations on the computers are even worse. This makes quite easy tasks take very long.
    No sort of team building rides or activities although they expect stores to work as a strong team. The main thing that brings 'teams' at evans cycles together is their common interest in leaving the company
    Working here takes the joy out of cycling...
    You spend 9 hours at the shop, get paid for 8 hours work, no paid lunch breaks.
    Nothing can not be done, if you don't have space for something 'you make the space'.
    Staff areas really need to be re-fitted, evans are happy to open up new stores all over the place but will not update their current stores.
    You find out about new products that evans are selling when a customer orders it, there is a bulletin but only key items are put in there.
    WE SELL TERNS AND DAHONS, which are death traps, frames splitting in half are not a strange thing to deal with when it comes to terns and dahons, but we receive such good revenue on them so it doesn't matter, right?
    Pay is horrible, not even London living wage (i know i said it already but it is that bad...)
    We fill in surveys but feels like they aren't read, our opinions dont really matter

Advice to Management

Pay more, stop selling bikes that are proven to be death traps, let your stores go on staff rides, re-fit stores that are older than 5 years old, show staff that you value them, if you don't value them, then please stop pretending.
    Actually do something about the cons listed above! Dont just reply with a generic response.

"Working for Evans Cycles workshops"

Current Employee - Workshop Manager in London, England

Pros

The company is generally a great company to work for, innovative, friendly and genuinely do care about the people they employ. I have been working for Evans Cycles now for a few years and there was a period where it looked as though it was going to go down the path of the 'stack em high, knock em out' Halfords approach to the cycle trade however the CEO Nick Wilkinson appears to have a genuine passion for the business and cares about the people employed by the company and has turned things around for the better. As a business we may be getting bigger but our outlook is still local.

Cons

The only unfortunate thing about the company (at least from the perspective of people working in workshops) is that they still have a tendency to recruit managers with little (if any) workshop experience to manage workshop affairs and projects with predictably little result. To my mind this is analogous to tasking someone to design or build or formula1 car because they have experience driving a 5door family saloon instead of hiring the minds of F1 technicians.
    However this is just a small gripe at what is really a great company to work for.

Advice to Management

Broaden your horizons and scope of vision when looking for capable minds and individuals, we may be found in the most unusual of places but we may just surprise you and offer you perspectives and opportunities that you didn't realise existed.

Evans Cycles Response

1 Sep 2015 – Talent Manager

Thank you for your detailed & well articulated review! We are very proud of who we are & what we are working towards & are happy to hear that you are enjoying your Evans Cycles adventure too. Thank... More