Expedia Group Product Manager Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Found 11 reviews

4.2
Expedia Group CEO Mark Okerstrom
Mark Okerstrom
  1. "Best company I've worked for that actually cares"

Current Employee - Senior Global Product Manager in London, England

I have been working at Expedia Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fast paced, fun, dynamic and most of all flexible. A company where you don't make colleagues but friends

Cons

A re-org while it may be necessary, never solves everything

Advice to Management

Good work and fast response. However, some higher management is stuck in the past, and should also navigate at the speed of the business

Expedia Group2018-12-05
  2. "The Kind of Workplace That Makes Friends Jealous"

I have been working at Expedia Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Good pay - Brilliant culture with new office space - Flexible working hours - Lots of international travelling - A large, multi-national company where roles are clearly defined in well-established departments.

Cons

- Some companies may pay more - If you are looking for a start-up culture, this isn't the right place.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on the customer, and don't stop trying to be the best.

Expedia Group2018-11-29
  3. "Great Company to Work For"

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in London, England

I have been working at Expedia Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Excellent Work/Life Balance - Fast paced - Constantly evolving

Cons

- Can be bureaucratic at times

Advice to Management

Expedia has been going from a start up culture to a more corporate structure the last 5 years, that has meant additional bureaucracy, but it has also introduced a certain amount of consideration is going in to strategy for where we need to be in the next 10 years, rather than reacting to the market place. the current corporate culture is looking to remove duplication across the group, and drive efficiencies, where... are previously Brands were pitched against each other to compete. The more corporate structure is not for everyone, and at times it can be extreme, but it is getting better iteratively

Expedia Group2018-10-31

"The employment engagement survey works!"

Former Employee - Product Manager in Islington, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Expedia Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Every year, there is a survey for all Expedians called Rate Your Stay. I had absolutely horrible managers and the survey is anonymous so you'll likely not be victimised if you are brutally honest. The survey results indicated that all of my peers felt the same way about those managers. The managers then subsequently left their roles once the results were out and there is new structure and new management now trying... to help resolve the all that damage. A tad too late as 3 key senior skilled Product Managers had already left the team.

Cons

Unfortunately, benefits have dwindled. We used to have Vitality which got changed, also there should be more holiday allotment and better travel discounts as Expedia is a travel company! I had absolutely terrible managers who took credit for my work, would speak over me in meetings, would never communicate the value of the work I was doing to the wider business. So very defeating experience. No progression... opportunity within the team. Beware of the politics, frustratingly slow progress of delivery, the firing of so many technical contracting staff but with no perm staff to fill the gap.

Advice to Management

Senior LT: Thank you for actioning rate your stay and getting rid of the toxic people. But the managers leading the actual teams need some serious upskilling if you want to keep the talented product managers.

Expedia Group2018-08-06

"Little career progress"

I have been working at Expedia Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

A relatively comfortable environment with lots of great people, being a part of a growing B2B brand and a bigger Expedia brand. There is a good selection of benefits but it is limited to an allowance. You might get a chance to travel to US or UK offices.

Cons

Working in a small hierarchical department. There are not many people in the product department but lots of hierarchical layers (leadership teams, team leads, sub-team managers, etc.) each with their own communication channel. Expect to do a lot of admin and operational work (lots of powerpoint ) and be told about it last minute on a regular basis. The teams operate in silos. Each team lead implements their own... processes and culture which can be very different from the brand's expectations. There is no continuous investment in growing people and little interest from the management in your career. Most of the employees quietly do their job and plan to move on. Promotions happen quietly and without any explanation to the rest of the team. Some top managers of bigger teams compete with each other for influence.

Advice to Management

I hope we can move on from the old-fashioned hierarchical way of management on all levels. Please choose managers wisely who are interested in all employees, acknowledge their team's wins and can solve problems (going beyond positive talks). You should have a way of checking what is actually happening in the team. The managers should be accountable for the well being of their subordinates

Expedia Group2018-05-03

"Great people, but some opportunities for improvement"

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in London, England

I have been working at Expedia Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Working with some of the smartest people in the industry is great. Flexible working is encouraged.

Cons

Teams operate in silos and knowledge and best practice are rarely shared. Roles are often highly ambiguous and it can be difficult to get buy-in for projects that don't originate in the US headquarters. Women typically get stuck at senior manager level.

Advice to Management

Hiring a few female directors wouldn't go amiss!

Expedia Group2017-09-14
  7. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Senior Product Marketing Manager in London, England

I have been working at Expedia Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good Benefits and Pay Great Teams Lots of autonomy Still feels like a startup

Cons

The company is growing super fast, and the teams are constantly changing and recruiting, this can cause a lot of noice within teams and they get distracted

Advice to Management

Trust your teams more, it's a smart group of people, instead of leading from the front, let your team sort it out. Delegate more

Expedia Group2017-06-22

"Best company of my career so far"

Product Manager in London, England

I have been working at Expedia Group

Pros

- Work culture - Benfits - Flexi time - No micro management - One team attitude - Work travel - Regular social events

Cons

- Personally I have worked with both great and not so great line managers. I felt that some line managers are not qualified to be people's managers, they are not competent or trained enough.

Advice to Management

Line managers should be properly trained and evaluated because their teams are dependent on their manager's competence and skills to grow into successful professionals.

Expedia Group2016-11-28

"Good company but unorganised"

Current Employee - Product Manager in London, England

I have been working at Expedia Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

International, laid-back atmosphere, good benefits, good opportunities within the company

Cons

Has become too big for it's own good, very complex hierarchy and lack of communication from management

Expedia Group2016-10-30
  10. "Great vision, great values"

Product Manager in London, England

I have been working at Expedia Group

Pros

Career prospect, culture, values, vision

Cons

Big company, you need to learn how to get around that

Expedia Group2016-09-22