Expedia Group Employee Reviews about "work environment"

Updated 22 Dec 2020

Expedia Group Vice Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Peter Kern
Peter Kern
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "work environment"

Return to all Reviews
  1. COVID-19

"The best work place in my career"

Former Employee - Associate Market Manager in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Expedia Group full-time

Pros

Friendly and full of the positive vibes, this was the work environment in the office. I met many talented managers and coworkers there. Additionally, imagine how fun working in travel industry was before corona.

Cons

1. This industry was too weak to survive this corona pandemic. 2. From some point, this company introduced AI working system and it took our creative for work away a bit.

2. "Software Engineer Intern"

Current Intern - Software Engineer Intern in London, England

I have been working at Expedia Group for less than a year

Pros

Supportive and friendly working environment. Good intern and team socials.

Cons

The team is constantly changing.

3. COVID-19

"Amazing Company and Work Culture"

Current Employee - Market Associate in London, England

I have been working at Expedia Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Amazing work culture Best team I have ever worked with in my 9 years in the travel industry A lot of internal opportunities pre-COVID days Engagement in hot topics such as D&I, Wellbeing Amazing office and flexible work environment High focus on getting work done vs. working long hours (good work-life balance)

Cons

One of their guiding principles are Simplify - however I believe there is still a long way to go to streamline processes within various teams

"Average"

Former Employee - Commercial Finance Manager in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Expedia Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good work environment and benefits

Cons

Lack of management training is some areas

"Good benefits package"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Expedia Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Nice people and work environment

Cons

Next six months look bleak

Continue reading
  6. "A great place to work"

Current Employee - Mobile Marketing Manager in London, England

I have been working at Expedia Group full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

- company work culture - benefits - wonderful working environment - great opportunities to grow and move around the company

Cons

- going through a period of uncertainty - if you stay here for a long time you are likely to fall behind with your compensation

7. "Great Company But Some Things Could Be a Bit Better"

Current Employee - Localisation Specialist in London, England

I have been working at Expedia Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great working environment, good benefits, flexible and stress free, interesting projects, chance to develop different skills

Cons

Salary at the lower level localization jobs could better, not many chances to advance one's career in localization field, management not necessarily listening that well to employees' complaints or concerns

"Going downhill"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in London, England

I have been working at Expedia Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Getting the chance to work with some really smart people, more casual and easy-going work environment and dress code than most companies.

Cons

This used to be a fun and creative company with a start up like culture, especially in engineering. No more! Unfortunately, under the new management (after Dara Khosrowshahi left) Expedia is fast turning into another boring corporation. This used to be a place where people had fun at work and enjoyed themselves. Right now it's a lonely place where people are hiding behind their headphones like at so many other companies. Mark Orkestrom seems to be a promotional CEO and even his laughter seems rehearsed. Personally, I don't trust much of what he says. A lot of the inspirational leaders like Aman Bhutani have been leaving in droves and have been replaced with careerists who try their best to make people work harder and harder. This leaves less time to work smart, be creative and come up with new ideas. The company has been on a path to centralisation and unification which actively discourages trying new things and forces everyone to use the same tools and methodologies. On top of this you have the long term Expedia problems with company cult-like culture, active promotion of certain social and political views and constant re-organisations. The turnover is extremely high, to the point that there is not much stability at all. Getting a promotion is very difficult when your manager changes every year, sometimes even twice a year. Last but not least benefits have been cut, for example the health care provider was replaced with one offering less benefits and encouragement for healthier lifestyle. Loyal employees are not really rewarded for sticking with the company. The 3 extra days leave people used to get after 5 years of loyal service have been scrapped. Personally I got a promotion without any salary increase at all. As a result a lot of loyal employees have been packing their bags in the last year or two. No wonder the company is no longer anywhere near the best places to work in the UK on Glassdoor ,a list it used to top. Even worse, I feel that with the current management team Expedia as a place to work is heading only one way - down!

Continue reading
  9. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Marketing Executive in London, England

I have been working at Expedia Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Love the culture and work environment. Everyone is super willing to help as long as you're not scared to ask. Many opportunities to progress career wise as there are also lots of different projects. Always feel inclusive. Easy to build your network.

Cons

There is nothing as of yet.

10. "Global Sourcing Partner"

Current Employee - Global Sourcing Partner in London, England

I have been working at Expedia Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexible working environment, strategic, progressive role. Great team culture and support from the business.

Cons

Nothing I can think of yet.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 178 English Reviews