Expedia Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

1. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Analytics Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Analytics Manager in London, England

I have been working at Expedia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture, good perks, very good work/life balance

Cons

Main London office showing its age in some floors

2. "Used to be great, culture tanked over last 1-2 years"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in London, England
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in London, England

I worked at Expedia full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent life-work balance
    Great industry to work in, constant interesting challenges
    Working across countries, multi-cultural

Cons

Lots of egos at play, talking the talk, however from the first step, retreating back to what they know.
    Many unsaid things, no transparency
    Managing up, most Managers trying to manage up, to "make their manager happy" instead of doing what's right

"Once a great place to work it is now a Corporate theater on Executive level"

Former Employee - Executive in London, England
    Former Employee - Executive in London, England

I worked at Expedia full-time

Pros

Big company, easy to change between brands, locations and countries. Very good place for beginners and mid level Managers. Lots of advantages.

Cons

On the Executive Level Expedia went from a fast paced, result driven company to the worst of Corporate self loving companies. Quote from a board member: Perception is everything in this company". Thus perception is more valued than results, opportunistic behavior over drive and devotion. This goes through all the brands now, from EAN to LPS, from Hotels.com to GPG. HR has taken a changing position, from once considering every dept as their client/customer now it is purely thriving for Power and decision making, often overpowering business needs and opinions. This in addition to the "Corporate "rather be loved then efficient" stands in harsh contrast to its original and fantastic Company culture.

Advice to Management

The massive turnover on all Executive levels, starting from Senior Directors up to Dara , a fantastic CEO, should be self speaking and really ring an alarming bell in the HQ.

"I hope it gets back on track"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Expedia full-time

Pros

Good brand name
    Good work-life balance (most teams)

Cons

A fast growing corporate culture
    Sub-market to mediocre salaries (for most)
    No career progression

Advice to Management

Expedia is not at a very good place right now. This is reflected on Glassdoor going from a 4.5 rating to 3.8 in a year or so. A key factor is a major shift towards corporate culture. This is particularly tangible in EPS (formerly EAN). On the surface you will find all people management good practices but in reality it is becoming increasingly top-down. Process and politics grow at the expense of innovation and culture and if you are not at the "right" area/team, you are completely off the leadership's radar. Tier-1 tech companies attract top talent because they have reversed this. Smart people want autonomy, opportunity and meritocracy.

"Not even a 3"

Former Employee - Salesforce Operation Analyst in London, England
    Former Employee - Salesforce Operation Analyst in London, England

I worked at Expedia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work life balance: get to work from home rather often and lots of social activities with teams

Good well-being and travel allowace: $400 per year in total

Great team fellows

Salary is good

Cons

Very bad managers
    High employees turnover
    No real career progression

Advice to Management

You may want to make sure managers are actually able to manage people. I've been employed cause I had some outstanding technical skills but even though I asked for more work for 6 months, I was parked aside and asked to process tasks that required a 1% of my skills to be processed. No one actually knew what I was supposed to do. My manager was too busy showing off what she was doing and did not pay too much attention to what I had to do...I doubt she actually knew what she wanted me to do. After 8 months, my manager left and the director did not have a clue about what my job role was about, and I honestly did not know much about it neither. I stayed at EPS for 12 months as I was doing pretty much just a little bit of end user support while I was actually able to build a spaceship. I felt totally undervalued and managed by overrated people...when I left Expedia, in a month, I gained some more skills/certifocations and I then got employed as senior technical manager by a competitor. Basically, the budget for my yearly salary is now spent for a few weeks of external consultants who basically do what I do in my current role.

"The employment engagement survey works!"

Former Employee - Product Manager in Islington, England
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Islington, England

I worked at Expedia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Every year, there is a survey for all Expedians called Rate Your Stay. I had absolutely horrible managers and the survey is anonymous so you'll likely not be victimised if you are brutally honest. The survey results indicated that all of my peers felt the same way about those managers. The managers then subsequently left their roles once the results were out and there is new structure and new management now trying to help resolve the all that damage. A tad too late as 3 key senior skilled Product Managers had already left the team.

Cons

Unfortunately, benefits have dwindled. We used to have Vitality which got changed, also there should be more holiday allotment and better travel discounts as Expedia is a travel company!

I had absolutely terrible managers who took credit for my work, would speak over me in meetings, would never communicate the value of the work I was doing to the wider business. So very defeating experience. No progression opportunity within the team.

Beware of the politics, frustratingly slow progress of delivery, the firing of so many technical contracting staff but with no perm staff to fill the gap.

Advice to Management

Senior LT: Thank you for actioning rate your stay and getting rid of the toxic people. But the managers leading the actual teams need some serious upskilling if you want to keep the talented product managers.

"Senior Finance Analyst"

Current Employee - Senior Finance Analyst in London, England
    Current Employee - Senior Finance Analyst in London, England

I have been working at Expedia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* work from home
    * Bonus scheme
    * networking events
    * CPD training like no other
    * drinks on rooftop terrace
    * social events

Cons

* no work life balance at all
    * pay is below market range
    * progression limited
    * long hours with no financial incentive

Advice to Management

You need to review your pay scales. Being on a salary below market rate is demotovating

"Rampant hiring, no career progression"

Current Employee - Specialist in London, England
    Current Employee - Specialist in London, England

I have been working at Expedia full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1. Even though Expedia Partner Solutions (EPS) is a separate brand, it is still a part of a very good "Expedia Group" company with great values, culture and principles. Having a parent company like that helps with setting good norms and values
    2. Good colleagues
    3. Some work travel to see clients or visit offices in Missouri/Seattle depending on your role
    4. Good office location with lots of cafes and shops near by

Cons

1. Low salary for London. This gets much worse over time due to the point 3 below.

2. EPS management likes "buying"/hiring more people to grow their teams in numbers and bring in "fresh blood" (even though most of employees have been in the company at most 2-3 years!). Decisions about the need for the new hires are made quickly and there are a lot of open positions as a result of that. Most of us were hired for this reason.

3. Unfortunately, the biggest drawback is that once you join there is no career progression as there is no concept of "building"/developing the existing talent. There is a very limited number of promotions and no clear path for career progression for most of roles. You do not know what you need to do to qualify for a promotion. Majority of employees in the whole company are stuck and share the same "seniority" level.

*All of these directly impact your work morale, professional competency and financials(!!) over time. *

4. Once it becomes clear to you that the management is not open to support you in your career path, then a conversation about looking for a job with another brand might be brought up. Although it is not redundancy as such, it is definitely not the outcome you would have hoped for when you originally joined this employer.

5. The old-fashioned culture of machismo.

Advice to Management

EPS LT: Change your culture to value people development over people numbers. Bring in leaders like Dara, Belinda and Manish to help with that.

"Finance"

I have been working at Expedia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay and benefit.
    Flat team structure.

Cons

Bad system can make work really complicated.
    Lack of internal promotion.

"Poor management, great colleagues"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Islington, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Islington, England

I worked at Expedia full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great colleagues: fun and smart people (mostly)
    - Great location (Angel, London)
    - Good coffee (well, decent)
    - Good work atmosphere (thanks to said colleagues)

Cons

- Poor management: numbers before humans (when managers are actually IN the office)
    - Poor work/life balance
    - Poor indoor climate (too hot or too cold, always)
    - Poor training (chaotic, random)
    - Poor perks

Advice to Management

Be more present - and human. Just like your fine employees.

Showing 1,719 of 2,707 reviews