Explore Schools Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Explore Schools Reviews

Updated 6 Nov 2019

2.9
Explore Schools CEO Carrie Mauer and Christina Froeb  (no image)
Carrie Mauer and Christina Froeb
Pros
  • "Students and families are wonderful(in 4 reviews)

• "Staff members (instructional and otherwise) care deeply for the students and their families and work hard to get results(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "Long hours with little support or guidance from leaders(in 10 reviews)

• "Teachers have far from enough prep time to do everything that is required(in 5 reviews)

1. "A good organization with a clear mission."

Former Employee - Recruiting Assistant

I worked at Explore Schools part-time

Pros

Friendly co-workers make it easier going to work every day.

Cons

Can't think of any.

Explore Schools2019-11-06
  2. "Teacher"

I worked at Explore Schools

Pros

Students and families make the hard work worthwhile

Cons

High retention impedes progress Ill-equipped leaders Long hours

Explore Schools2019-10-16
  3. "Fast paced work environment, opportunities for growth"

Former Employee - Operations Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Explore Schools full-time for more than a year

Pros

I met some really passionate people who were dedicated to the mission, the work is demanding and challenging. You can see the difference you are making in the day-to-day operations. Good benefits and great office space to work in.

Cons

There is a lot of shuffling of people around all the time. People leave and get reassigned to new roles all the time. I was hired for a specific position but my job was morphing into more management and less data analysis, which I did not prefer.

Explore Schools2019-08-01
  4. "Growth Mindset"

Former Employee - Teacher in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Explore Schools full-time for more than a year

Pros

Explore is a nice place to work, the leaders are constantly working on their own growth and that trickles down to the employees.

Cons

Everyone doesn't have the same mission

Advice to Management

Team building activities for staff

Explore Schools2019-07-31
  5. "Growing Community School"

I have been working at Explore Schools full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Competitive salary - Reflective and humble network leadership - Awesome community

Cons

- Inefficient systems - Still working on being a stable organization

Explore Schools2019-05-12
  6. "Incredible place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Explore Schools full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

As an employee of Explore Schools for over 5 years, I can honestly say I've never worked in a more supportive, dedicated work environment. I've loved expereincing how hard work & expectations translate into significant growth in student achievement, and on a personal level, as a working mom, it's been wonderful to work for colleagues that value work/life balance.

Cons

You're held to high expectations, which can be a pro or a con... :)

Explore Schools2019-05-08

"A great time to join!"

Current Employee - Network Leader

I have been working at Explore Schools full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Results for students! Explore Schools has shown significant improvement in student achievement over the past 2 years. Amazing colleagues. One of the most frequent reasons staff members give for loving working at Explore is the people they get to work with. We have a wonderful team of staff who share a deep commitment to our mission. Investment in development. Explore believes in providing development... opportunities and coaching to help those who work here meet their fullest potential. Rigorous curriculum. We have strong core curricular resources that challenge and engage students, and that ensure that teachers and leaders can focus their time on supporting student learning through intentional preparation and responsiveness to data.

Cons

The pace of work can be overwhelming at times. This is the result of an incredibly hard working team of adults who want to do everything they can to support their students. As an organization that has seen a lot of change over recent years, there is still a steep learning curve - relatively new curriculum and processes take time to fully internalize and implement. However, with increased retention and consistency in... our approach, I expect this to improve in the coming years!

Explore Schools2019-04-17
  8. "Great people culture, growing school"

Former Employee - Teacher in Brooklyn, NY
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Explore Schools full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people culture and the students are fun, smart, and cheerful.

Cons

Few teacher support. Students can get lost in the lack of teacher training, and therefore, act out. The school is growing and its an ideal place if you want to take part in the growth. Not so great if you're looking to master your craft.

Explore Schools2019-03-21

"Up and Coming!"

Current Employee - Network Leader

I have been working at Explore Schools full-time

Pros

Explore Schools has shown dramatic improvement in the past 2 years on all quantifiable metrics, including student achievement and staff and leadership retention. This network has the foundation and people to provide an excellent educational option, where students are known, and they are challenged. Teachers and leaders are valued, supported and developed, and the staff culture is collaborative and kind. The network... is committed to improving practices around diversity, equity and inclusion. Although there is lots of room to grow, this charter network is a great place to work.

Cons

Explore Schools staff have experienced many changes over the past few years and change is good, but can also be hard. Especially for newer staff, the hours are long.

Explore Schools2019-03-09

"Unorganized Network. Very Disappointing"

Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at Explore Schools full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The salary is decent here. If you are a young person 22-30 there are a lot of opportunities to build lasting friendships with other staff members, good for people who are new to this city.

Cons

This place is so disorganized from the network leaders all the way down to the individual building leaders. There is nothing that is well thought out or rolled out to teachers and it creates a chaotic environment where teachers and students cannot thrive. the leaders here are very inexperienced and unprofessional. From the way that they dress to the way that they speak to employees it creates a place that no one... would want to work at. every teacher is held to different expectations and it seems as though more people can get away with things that others cannot. They love to ask for your feedback but they do not really care or respect it. the leaders here make judgments based on 1 or 2 observations and that seems to follow you throughout your career here no matter how much you improve as a teacher. If you want to work at a charter school there are so many more well developed networks that will support new teachers in their journey of education and this is definitely not the place where good solid teacher development happens.

Explore Schools2019-02-05