FCA "benefits package" Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

FCA Employee Reviews about "benefits package"

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Working at the FCA"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in London, England

I have been working at FCA part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Generally great colleagues, willing to help and go the extra mile. Staff all really care about UK consumers. Some very smart people in the building. Benefits package is excellent, particularly the non-contributory 12% I get in my pension and the medical cover on which I have claimed a number of times with no issue. Work life balance respected in almost all areas, in my experience.

Cons

Can be bureaucratic, slow to make decisions and too many meetings. If they can put a process in, they will! Also there has been a lot of change recently (and continuing) in approach to our work, focus and values, location of our offices and even the technology and people may be starting to get jaded with it all.

Advice to Management

Cut the processes down, especially the chain of sign off - it creates so much work for the layers down the chain. No more big changes for a while please! Make it easier for good people to get promoted to reward their experience (i.e. there is a need to review pay grade and levels - I think this might actually be happening).

2. "Great company to work for"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at FCA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Really good opportunities, great culture, open senior management, good benefits package, flexible working.

Cons

Salary is low compared to industry. Office moving to Stratford.

"Good work life balance but bureaucratic"

Current Employee - Lead Associate in London, England
    Current Employee - Lead Associate in London, England

I have been working at FCA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- work life balance
    - benefits package and up to 38 days holiday
    - interesting and varied work
    - lots of opportunity to move around the organisation
    - very pro minority groups and inclusive culture

Cons

- terribly bureaucratic
    - poor managers generally lacking in people skills that have very long tenure
    - lack of empowerment
    - very skilled and talented people often under utilised so they leave
    - general lack of industry experience means you get "experts" within industry sectors who have never worked in industry and lack commerciality
    - senior management value those that are "talking the fca language" over genuine talent creating an internal bias

Advice to Management

- remove burdensome process
    - do more focused and targeted recruitment externally
    - better training programmes
    - hold poor management to account or exit them
    - send staff on more external secondments
    - focus efforts on driving efficiency and better value for money. Hold people to account for poor performance

4. "Good place to work with excellent benefits and opportunities to learn"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at FCA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Strong sense of purpose; highly capable people who work hard in the public interest; challenging and varied work; supportive colleagues, good work-life balance; competitive benefits package; and great facilities will be on offer in the new office in Stratford.

Cons

It can be challenging to innovate and deliver with pace due to a low risk appetite, committee-led decision making and lots of bureaucracy

Advice to Management

The direction of travel is the right one.

"A complex organisation trying to make a difference"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at FCA full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Interesting and challenging work
    Great people, working hard in the interests of consumers
    Great work life balance and lots of flexibility
    Competitive salary, and good benefits package including bonus
    Exciting opportunity to have a brand new office, and finally some investment in technology

Cons

Challenging culture, can be slow to get things moving, lots of committees and everyone wants to have a say
    Some of the basics don't work well; wifi, conference calls, toilets. ... but improvement promised with the move to Stratford next year.

Advice to Management

Be clear about expectations of managers, reward and recognise those who role model good leadership - rather than promoting technical skills

"Senior Associate"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in London, England

I have been working at FCA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* There is a much better work/life balance than in industry - as a former consultant, my hours were 07:00 to 19:00; here, my hours are more like 08:00 to 17:00.
    * The benefits package - when you consider the work-life balance - is good.
    * Opportunity to contribute to some significant pieces of work, and feel like you're making a real difference to customers. Also opportunities to get involved in various extra-curricular projects.
    * (Current) location of offices is good - London and Edinburgh, though the London office is moving from Canary Wharf to Stratford from April 2018 (see 'cons').

Cons

* It is difficult to get promoted - when more senior vacancies arise, there is a great deal of competition for the places, which can leave you pretty disappointed.
    * Further, promotions are not merit-based - you are promoted based on how visible you are. So, you can have no idea what you're doing, but as long as you *behave* the right way and do lots of extra (but meaningless) project work, you'll go far.
    * The organisation often confuses 'judgements' with 'opinions' - failing to recognise the need to get a sound evidence base before reaching a judgement.
    * The move to Stratford in April 2018 is significant, but it doesn't feel as though management are recognising these concerns.
    * Getting people to make a decision is painful - everything has to be deferred to a committee.

Advice to Management

Be more trusting of your employees. Stop confusing 'judgement' and 'opinion'. Stop deferring everything to committees. And (biggest of all) start to promote and recognise employees on the basis of MERIT, rather than personality/likability/visibility.

7. "Working for the FCA"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at FCA as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

The culture of the FCA is something I've never seen in an organisation. Its so positive and a great place to work. My team are so supportive and have been so helpful in helping be find my feet within the organisation. Our benefits package is fantastic- we are well looked after. People recognise the work I do- it gives me a real sense of achievement and makes me believe that I can do this job and get to where I want to be.

Cons

The cons are in relation to technology. Its not the most reliable but this is in the progress of being sorted. Another is that it is very difficult to find meeting rooms or quiet rooms, but if you book in advance then its not too bad.

8. "A Good Name on CV and Good Work/Life"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in London, England

Pros

- Work/life balance very good (majority of teams)
    - Good benefits package
    - Some interesting and high profile work
    - Canary Wharf offices are good (albeit moving soon to Stratford) and you will meet some nice people from varied backgrounds.

Cons

- Low basic and bonuses for city standards. Pay rises rarely happen.
    - Highly bureaucratic and process driven. This in turn is conducive to micromanagement.
    - Promotion is very much down to your face fitting

Advice to Management

Keep doing all of the really good things for consumers. As for your staff, initial training is great, but more needs to be done to maximise strengths of individuals and align to opportunities. If salaries are not better aligned to the market going forwards, you may risk not securing the best talent.

"FCA - supervision (SWIS)"

Former Employee - Senior Associate in London, England
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in London, England

I worked at FCA full-time

Pros

-Good work life balance and benefits package. I like the fact you can buy additional holidays and the pension plan is very generous.

Cons

- Very process driven and bureaucratic. I have never known such inefficiency!
    - There is a culture where people avoid making decisions and do not want to take responsibility.
    - Poor calibre management; very few managers have the ability to actually manage staff
    - There is a lack of trust within the organisation, resulting in staff being inappropriately micro managed. This is exceptionally demotivating and shows how the organisation lacks quality management. Emotional intelligence is an afterthought when recruiting managers; its all about being highly articulate and technical!
    - Inefficient, unreliable IT systems that are not fit for purpose.
    - HR is unprofessional

Advice to Management

The FCA has two key assets: data/systems and people. So get on and address the chronic failings that make the organisation totally inefficient and improve the calibre of management. Too often we just hear words with no actions to follow.

"Not perfect, but really quite good"

Current Employee - Associate in London, England
    Current Employee - Associate in London, England

I have been working at FCA full-time

Pros

Plenty of opportunities to learn and develop your skill set. The 'Academy' programme is really impressive, but a little too focused on top talent.

Pay is pretty competitive (unless you're coming from an investment bank) and the pension offering is better than a lot of places.

There is a great work/life balance and the flexible benefits package is really good, meaning you can potentially take up to 38 days holiday in a year.

Cons

Promotions don't really exist. If you want to progress you'll have to be willing to network and be proactive about applying for more senior roles.

Bonuses aren't always as performance based as they should be and can simply reflect how well you and your manager get on.

You may get a great manager, or you may get a bad one, it's a bit of pot luck. This applies across the board, and you do get a mix of really talented people with some real drifters who are happy to just coast.

Advice to Management

The process of awarding bonuses needs to be reviewed if it is to truly reflect performances

Whilst fostering top talent is definitely the right thing to do, there needs to be more of a focus on bringing up the basic level of standards for others.