FDM Group Employee Reviews about "2 year contract"

Updated 13 Jan 2021

3.3
FDM Group CEO, Founder, and Director Rod Flavell
Rod Flavell
Pros
  • "Gives you a great foot in the door in IT & Blue chip companies(in 102 reviews)

• "If you apply yourself - the experience is a decent - good place to be if your looking at blue-chip companies(in 72 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Would recommend being pro-active with Account Managers whilst looking for a placement and after that you won't need to interact with FDM often(in 177 reviews)

• "The strict 2 year contract is the hard part in my opinion(in 105 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "2 year contract"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee

Long term worth it

18 Sep 2020 - Applications Analyst in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Training for complete tech beginners - Gain experience while having job security

Cons

- Stuck in a 2 year contract - Poor salary for 2 years

2. 4.0

2 year contract.

29 Oct 2020 - IT Consultant in Leeds, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Foot in the door to large companies. For a graduate in the current job market, FDM is definitely worth considering. Bare in mind 2 years is not a short commitment, they do not try to deceive you with length or contract or the possibility of being moved anywhere in the country. Always read the fine print.

Cons

2 year contract. 20 day holidays. No bonus/benefits. Training is not as good as it seems, definitely not at their stated value. Possibility of being made permanent at other companies is definitely exaggerated, chances are slim.

4 people found this review helpful
    3. 3.0
      Current Contractor, more than 1 year

Good for CV but thats it

17 Dec 2020 - Consultant in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

You can be placed somewhere quite big within the financial sector, the 9 weeks of training can be useful depending on your role, gives you a good background to go into the role.

Cons

A lot of uncertainty initially as you find out you cannot work elsewhere when you're waiting to be placed - 2 weeks in and you are signed up and cannot turn back. They sometimes may not guarantee you a role within 3 months and you are not allowed to leave until then. They don't want you to leave your contract any earlier so if you find a role internally in your placement, you cannot apply even if you have 4/5 left of your 2 year contract.

2 people found this review helpful
    4. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Overall not a bad company

24 Sep 2020 - IT Consultant in Leeds, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good training that includes some formal qualifications, after the 2 year contract period you can negotiate quite a good salary, you can get additional training through fdm whilst on placement (but the client needs to request it) and it's a great way into the industry for people who don't have an IT background.

Cons

Unpaid training. No flexibility on location. If you're between contracts then you drop to base salary. Poor communication on FDM's part and effectively no salary negotiations after 3rd year. Would recommend being pro-active with Account Managers whilst looking for a placement and after that you won't need to interact with FDM often. Following the 2 year contract period, they tend to be more flexible location wise.

5. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Good If your looking for experience

28 Oct 2020 - Java Consultant
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great for those who have just graduated or lack work experience.

Cons

low salary Strict 2-year contract No choice with regards to location preference

6. 3.0

Step into a career

10 Sep 2020 - Business Consultant in Leeds, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Wealth of clients and contacts and fantastic training

Cons

expectation to relocate at the drop of a hat with little or no help and on low salary. Huge disparity between what clients want and what account managers allow consultants to believe the roles are. 2 year contract for which the pay is well below average for the work required, though salaries can be negotiated at year 3.

7. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

"Home of the 20K Handshake"

22 Jun 2020 - Software Engineer() in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

FDM is a fascinating company, in both a good sense and a bad, but before I get into that let me tell you my story with them. I studied Commerce at University College Dublin. I had plans to join one of the the big 4 as a Business Analyst, or maybe even one of the big 3 strategy firms if I was lucky, before I moved to London. 2 days after my arrival I got a random call from FDM, still no idea how they got my CV, and I had an interview. I was going to turn it down for all the reasons you would normally turn FDM down for, but having completed the interviews they offered me paid training (a special Irish thing) as a Software engineer, something I wanted to do but was unqualified for. I agreed, went to the Glasgow office, stayed in Glasgow for 5 months and trained as a Software engineer, moved to London and started working full-time in BNP Paribas for 2 years and 3 months, came back to the pond loaded with this priceless experience and left FDM with a job in the third largest global hedge fund at nearly a 6 figure salary and a girlfriend. ---Pros--- - Becoming a software engineer is highly lucrative. To do so with no qualifications is amazing, FDM is the only place I know where you can do that. For free as well! Forget that nonsense of 'you're paying 20K for training', that's just pretext to keep you for 2 years and to sell the idea to clients that you're trained. - Its good banter, the pond, which is the training area, is basically a room stuffed with people in their 20s with not a lot to do. I'll leave it to your imagination what that entails. - Not only do you become a software engineer for free, you start your career in companies where some software engineers spend their whole careers trying to reach. I was flooded with job offers after having done 2 years in BNP Paribas. I couldn't have been in that position without FDM.

Cons

Having given them all that praise, I can say confidently that FDM are a joke. Let's do the rundown on flaws: - Unpaid training, unless you're Irish or ex-forces. The training is absolutely awful, it is 100% a pretext for that dodgy contract. Its fun! Don't get me wrong, but its simply not worth 20k! You'd learn more watching YouTube for 6 months. One of the classes was the funniest, literally on how to tie ties and shake hands. Not even joking, come get your 20K handshake! FDM brings networking to the table, nothing else. - You have practically no control over your first client, which can make a MASSIVE difference to the course of your life. A lot of the industries are 'No experience, no entry', if you want to get into investment banking and your first client is Virgin Media, good luck to you! This also applies to location, I was sent from Glasgow to London. Its not just a detail on the contract. Sometimes the Salespeople even have the temerity to put you forward for roles that have nothing to do with your training! I've heard horror stories of people interviewing for dev roles and end up being application support on site, not writing a single line of code! And until your 2 years are up, its quite hard to turn down interviews, getting strong armed into roles you don't want is not unheard of in FDM. Its a lottery, a lottery I won big time, but its still a lottery. - After entry level positions, ie after your two years, there's practically no chance of you getting placed with a client again. The salesteam avoid you like the plague, as it is likely you will leave after a few months and their commission is based on how many months you are on site. For me, this was perfect, as I could sit around writing external CVs all day, read or study French, chat to people and play chess. Its a paid holiday really. But forget about long term career development. - For a self-proclaimed IT consultancy, its really not a tech savvy place. The computers are 'pre the dot com bubble,' 'pre Alan Turing' maybe, you can't do any serious development in that office, as what the hardware limits, the IT Software security policy strangles. - Speaking of IT policy, one of the things that annoyed me the most was that all your passwords for all the different systems in FDM, including email, get reset every 6 weeks, which sounds great from a security perspective but it means that when you’re on site and want to use anything you’re always locked out and have to spend a week emailing IT Support trying to get back in. Its unbelievably painful. - Ah the salary. For those of you weak at heart, look away now. FDM's business model is genius really, they get desperate grads and lease them out to roles they're totally unqualified for, charge them 20K if they try leave and charge the client 3-6 times what they would pay for a normal grad. Its vaguely impressive. I'm not joking though, you get a third or a quarter of what the client is actually paying. FDM will never tell you this but you'll find out later. The overtime is tear inducing, they literally pay you the exact same rate as your normal hourly rate, and they take home your overtime bonus that the client pays. This is how they can afford to have consultants sitting around on bench for months on end, its pocket change to how much they make when they’re on site. The third year salary is also far below average, I doubled my salary when I left. - There's quite a strong chance you won't even be working! I was lucky and I got a continuous 2 year contract. Some people are back on the bench every 3 months and end up there for ages doing nothing, getting paid half salary. - FDM don’t care about their employees so long as FDM get paid. One story I heard was that a girl’s manager on site was overworking and bullying her. For months she begged FDM to take her back but they kept putting it off and delaying it, ‘see what the next month is like’. It continued until the girl eventually got clinical depression and had to leave the client. My advice to you is ONLY join FDM if you want to become a developer for a blue chip, having come from a non IT background. When in, assert your right to manage your own destiny with the salesteam, making sure the role is something you actually want to do.

49 people found this review helpful
    8. 2.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great Contacts but poor training

25 Aug 2020 - Technical Consultant in Leeds, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great contacts and good way to get into technology with no experience

Cons

Training is poor and not worth the 15K the say. Locked into a 2 year contract

2 people found this review helpful
    9. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Opportunity to work with big banks, which looses it's appeal as the years progress

28 Jul 2020 - Business Analyst Consultant in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Working at large client sites Placements can last over a year, and allow you to really integrate with your teams onsite Good starting point if struggling to get your foot in the door

Cons

2-year contract can limit your options Training does not translate directly to the costs

4 people found this review helpful
    10. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Good

3 Oct 2020 - IT Business Analyst in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Can be worth doing if you need a job

Cons

2 year contract, so locked in

1 person found this review helpful